+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Landlord and tenant relationship

Re: Landlord and tenant relationship

John,

The new landlord bought subject to your lease (and the upstairs neighbor's lease). Neither of you can break it unilaterally. As I understand it, there is nothing in the lease about the lawncare issue? I have no idea what the default presumption is under Illinois law in the case the lease is silent but the fact that the previous landlord took care of lawncare certainly works in your favor. If the new landlord won't arrange for lawncare and you'd rather move again in September than deal with it yourself, I'd be sure there is no automatic renewal provision if neither of you gives notice.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fan

Working in real estate development for 15 years, and being on the Landlord end, I think I can certainly add to this thread

As far as the couch thing goes...stand firm and don't give them much time. If the deal is that they are not suppose to have items in the yard, then tell them they have 24 hrs to remove it, or you will remove it for them and charge them if there is a cost.

Tenants will take whatever you give. In other words, even though there is no entitlement, if you allow things, or pay for things that are their responsibility, they will never refuse or insist on paying for it. If you allow that couch to sit there, what next? old tires? Other garbage? Regardless of how petty it seems, their garbage is not your problem, and you have every right to have your property free of unsightly items.

I am in Canada, and not sure if things are different where you are, but if you have a lease signed by both parties, you have rights.

We've been experiencing a boom and therefore landlords have taken the opportunity to raise rents often and big. Finally, the government has finally announced a couple guidelines as it was pretty much open season before. Renters now have to be advised one year in advance if their suite is going condo so they have time to find something. Rents can only go up once a year and within reason. The tenants in one poor apartment got $400/month rent increases the other day. That's ridiculous! Vacancy rates are less than 1% and people on fixed incomes have nowhere to go. Especially seniors and the disabled.

I know there are a lot of great landlords out there and they deal with some miserable tenants. But there's also good people who just aren't cashing in on any of the boom that's going on. And they're getting pushed into the street.

Lord knows, we already have enough street people and homeless right now.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345