+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landlord and tenant relationship

Re: Landlord and tenant relationship

DesertRose....people just don't care anymore. Leaving the couch in your yard is convenient for them. They probably don't think you will enforce the rules.

I lived in an apartment (I lived upstairs and had neighbors downstairs) and their child was noisy. She was 9 and always blasted her radio, left her toys and bike at the bottom of our steps so we literally had to jump over it from the bottom step and her parents would fight at all hours. One time, I dropped my phone. It was in the kitchen where there was no carpeting to muffle the sound and they called the land lord on me and told him I was making all kinds of racket. I was stunned. I was relieved to move from there.

One summer, her daughter ended up with head lice. My boys ended up getting it from her. I shaved their heads, treated them....washed everything...everything that you are supposed to do, I did. My Dr. cleared me and my boys and said we were lice free. Luckily, I avoided getting them. One month later, I got it. I had babysat for her. Her mother assured me that the lice was gone. I was livid! I have blonde hair and it was very long...so it was very difficult to get it all out of my hair. When I informed her that her daughter still had lice she got irate and blamed it on me. She said I brought it home from work. I was working in a turkey processing factory at the time. I explained to her that we wear hair nets at all times while in the factory and that lice is species specific. Humans can't get bird lice, canine lice, feline lice. It's impossible. She still swore that she got it from us. I didn't let the boys play with her again. Shortly after, we moved.

Shaybo, in most states, if the landlord authorizes you to pay for improvements to the property, you can legally deduct the amount from the next rent check, and include the receipt with payment. I've done it myself on a couple of occasions.

While I'm in here, I'll rant a tiny bit about my landlord.

I moved in in September, and my landlord lived in NYC. He had a friend who lived here who had a couple of other rental properties, and he was authorized to make decisions on the place, and also would swing by and mow the lawn when he was mowing his other properties. I have about 10 feet square of lawn, and it took him about 30 seconds.

In January, he sold the house to someone local. Someone who hasn't arranged for any kind of lawn care, and clearly doesn't intend to do it themselves. I don't own a lawnmower, and I'm not doing it even if I did. My house now looks like the trashy house on the block because the lawn is out of control.

I think the new landlord may be a bit miffed at me because she stopped by one day with a notice that the water company needed a new reading to transfer the ownership of the bill, and I wouldn't just let her in to go do the reading. Stop in out of the blue with no phone call or notice, and traipse through the whole house and basement? Not a chance. I told her I'd be happy to get the reading myself later that day and call it in to the water company, or call her with it so she could do it, but she clearly wanted to do it herself.

Anyway, back to the lawn. How many of you rent places with lawns, and how is it normally taken care of? I have nothing in my lease about taking care of it myself.

I rent and its in my lease that I"m responsible for lawn care. So me, the highly allergic tenant, mows it. Or my mom does sometimes. If your lawn is that small, could you just buy a cheap electric weed eater and whack it down to a reasonable height?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

It's been many years ago, but when we rented a house that had a lawn, it was our responsibility to take care of it--not the landlords.

Why don't you find some young kid and pay him? They are a lot cheaper than adults.

Anyway, back to the lawn. How many of you rent places with lawns, and how is it normally taken care of? I have nothing in my lease about taking care of it myself.
    Does the lease say anything about the exterior up-keep of the building? That may give you an out if the landlord wants to extort a mowing fee from you.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

John, my parents used to own a small apartment building. When we used to live in one of the units, my father did all the yardwork/maintenance. After we moved away (this is when I was little), he hired one of the men who lived there to do it for him. My dad gave him the option of deducting it from his monthly rent--or paying full rent and my dad sending him a monthly check. It was the same thing, but he liked to offer. BUT, he never expected the tenant to do the landlord's job and not be paid for it! And if the tenants wanted to do home repairs themselves, and my dad OK'd it, they would attach the receipt for the amount they spent and deduct that amount from their monthly rent.

We had some fantastic tenants. And we also had some real losers (they couldn't pay for months and my parents would give them the benefit of the doubt, and then they'd trash the place and skip out before paying anything. One of my happiest days was when my parents sold it and didn't deal with rotten tenants anymore).

But if your landlord wants the lawn mowed/snow shoveled, he should hire a lawn service to do it. Unless it's specified in your rental contract (and I think you've already said it isn't), it's certainly not your job!

Hey John...just buy a cow and let her graze it down. Maybe that will spur the landlord to mow it for you...

The last two places I rented, the landlord took care of it, but at the first apartment, he was elderly, so I often did it for him. Just so he wouldn't have to. The second place, I asked if the landlord would pull the carpet out of the bathroom and tile it in exchange for me mowing all summer. With sons who can't aim...it was worth getting that carpet out of there.

Apartments are different. Is yours an apartment or house, John?

Funny story about lawn mowing . . . When my late brother was offered the pastor position at his church, one of the church board members said, "The previous pastor used to take care of the yard. I suppose you'll want someone else to do it . . ." My brother answered, "I talked with the previous pastor; he doesn't think he can make it here to take care of it any more."

A may be over-kill for 10 square feet. Just get a couple of rabbits.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

SV, it's a house, but it's split into 2 apartments - I have the first floor and half the basement, and the upstairs tenant has her floor and half the basement. Completely split.

I've thought about getting one of those manual pushmowers, but then I'd have to lug it to the basement every week because I don't have any outdoor storage.

And like I said, when I moved in, the owner had the lawn taken care of. Since he sold it, it shouldn't suddenly become my responsibility. Should it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast