+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Happy Halloween

Re: Happy Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3225664;
    We just got notices to give our students at the end of the day saying nobody is to wear costumes to school tomorrow. For over 10 years we've been allowed to and now, the day before, he forbids it? That's just mean. He could have given us a lot more advance notice.
    With advance notice, there would have been time to group together and voice an argument.

I'm a Christian and have Christian friends that run the whole range of "no one should ever celebrate it" to others that REALLY get into it. We were somewhere in the middle. Our kids dressed up, but nothing scary, and trick-or-treated in our neighborhood. But then we also read Harry Potter!!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I'm confirmed to paint a creepy skull guy tomorrow afternoon and 4 cheetah girls faces on Sunday! "YAY" I was practicing my brush and sponge work yesterday. I'll post photos later.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We will carve some pumpkins, and have some candy/cookies, but that is about it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3225670;
    It's all political. So many parents feel it's "Satan's" holiday and feel that just like Easter or Christmas, children shouldn't be forced to participate or view other people's views. It is mean.
    No where in the history of Halloween was Satan every worshipped nor was it "his" holiday.

The practice started with the ancient Celts (who were pagan and thus I can see why some Christians may not feel comfortable with the holiday).

if youi want to know how Halloween got started, how trick or treating started and how Jack o lanterns came to be, click on this link.

History of Halloween - Halloween History

I have fond memories of my neighborhood Halloweens as a kid and it was all in fun. We usually made our own costumes and it was fun to see all of our friends while we walked around the neighborhood getting candy.

I think that the gory movies and costumes that have become more and more popular account for people thinking that it has become the Devil's holiday. Which is a shame. The ONE day of the year when it's ok to shed your own identity and take on another is fun. It's a chance for both children and adults to be able to play make believe for a day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Just wanted to wish my FoRT family a Happy Halloween. Stay safe, but have some fun
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

MRD

Thinking we may go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show tonight.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Happy Halloween everyone! Enjoy!

Happy Halloween! I've got a ton of candy, a bottle of wine and will be watching Ghost Hunters Live while waiting for the kiddies to come to the door!

I just now looked outside and it is so cloudy and breezy. It rained earlier this morning apparently and I looked up our weather for tonight.... supposed to have thunderstorms starting at 7pm! Arghh.... Hopefully the kids will still go out for a little while tonight.
    Last edited by buglover; 10-31-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3226243;
    Thinking we may go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show tonight.
    Let's Do The Time Warp Again! Are you going in character? My younger sister went through a Rocky Horror phase and I went to one of the midnight shows with her. It was a lot of fun!

I'm going to my mom's to pass out candy, and help my niece eat her candy!

So I thought I'd do a costume this year . . . Since my ex's boy didn't want to be a mummy after all, I decided that *I* would be a mummy. Twelve yards of muslin (ripped into 4-, 2-, and 1-inch strips), a zillion hot-glue sticks, and many curses later, I was ready. I knew that my ex was going to bring her kids to work to day, so I greeted them in full regalia. Annabeth just glanced at me, but poor Drake! He took one look at me and ran back to the car . No assurances that I was really just Uncle Newf in a costume would convince him to come near me. It took getting out costume and a Butterfinger bribe to get him back in the office
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread