+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Happy Halloween

Re: Happy Halloween

We are taking the kids "trunk or treating" tonight. I have never heard of this, but the hospital is doing it and my mom volunteers there, so she wanted the kids to go. Apparently, they have a vehicle with the trunk full of candy for the kids and then some other activities for them to do. Kids are very excited too go. We always take them to the local mall on Halloween night for "Malloween" trick or treating. Tons of candy, safe place, safe candy and a plus for this year...it's warm! Hope everyone has a great Halloween!

buglover, our school is the same. They do let the kindergarten dress up and do a parade for the rest of the school, but then they have to change to regular clothes.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Our church does the "trunk or treating" every year. Everyone donates candy and they usually have about 20 vehicles in the parking lot with trunks full of candy and then some other activities for the kiddos as well.

We have a ton of kids in our subdivision and I have already purchased candy for the trick or treaters. Last year, we had a little boy (about 3 years old) who was dressed up as a turtle. He had a HUGE plastic turtle shell on his back. Needless to say, he tripped on our sidewalk and fell over onto his back and could not get up. He just laid there screeching at the top of his lungs with his arms and legs waving in the air. It was hilarious. His parents and Mr. Doxie and I were all laughing too hard to help the poor child.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Our church has a Hallelujah party. Basically, it is a safe indoor place to go. They have puppets, games and tons of candy. Sarah always ends up with a ton of candy.

Of course, tonight the Great Pumpkin is on so I will be doing that.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

Am I the only one that thinks its sad the way Halloween has been taken away from kids?
    When I was a kid, we dressed up (usually made our own costumes) and went around the neighborhood. We knew everyone in the neighborhood so it was safe.

Now the schools and churches have deemed it a "satanic" holiday and it's not and never has been.

It used to just be a fun time for kids and I miss that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Nope not at all MRD. My kids know most of the people on our block and look forward to going starting in November. Even my 12 yr old is going this year. While some may consider that too old, I am of the view point that kids need to have time to just be kids.

Thankfully our school has not yet jumped on the bandwagon to cut Hallowe'en or the 'Christmas' concert so we still have both.

Wow, trunk or treat was a blast last night.

Doxie, you were right, it was a bunch of trunks with candy. Each seperate hospital group, like the nurses, volunteers, doctors ect. had their own space and vehicle. Some gave out candy, others had pumpkin painting and some gave out stuffed animals. There was a band playing also. Chick- Fil- A was giving out free brownies and chicken sandwiches. The kids had a great time. One of our high schools is doing one tomorrow night, I think we will take the kids to that one also. Might as well let them wear their costumes as much as possible!

On another note, has anyone else heard about the pirate candy coins being recalled? They are suppose to have that melanine or whatever in them.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I have heard of that recall. Here is a link

snopes.com: Pirate's Gold Chocolate Coin Recall

The thing is, these coins are made in Canada and have ONLY been distributed there. Not in the US.

One of my sisters lives in NJ and her school/church has done trunk or treat for years. I thought she told me that all the cars park in the parking lot, open up their trunks and dole out the candy. So everyone who goes there, gives out their own candy. My sister lives on a cul-de-sac consisting of just seven houses....and it is off a busy road with no sidewalks. If she was to take her girls out, they would only go to the houses in her cul-de-sac. They still do the cul-de-sac, but get a ton more candy at the school parking lot.

As far as I know, I think the elementary schools in my area still do the halloween parade, with kids dressed up, and have a party in the classrooms after that. Kids get to wear their costumes but they can't be scary, gory, bloody kinds of costumes.

Our local malls usually have safe trick or treating inside. They allow all the little ones to go from store to store and get candy. It is still fun but it lacks the whole "Halloween" feel. When my son was little we would go out in our neighborhood to all the haunted houses first then go trick or treating. We usually had to go home at least 2 times to dump the bag and go out for more!
    Yup, with donuts!!

We just got notices to give our students at the end of the day saying nobody is to wear costumes to school tomorrow. For over 10 years we've been allowed to and now, the day before, he forbids it? That's just mean. He could have given us a lot more advance notice.
    Count your blessings!

It's all political. So many parents feel it's "Satan's" holiday and feel that just like Easter or Christmas, children shouldn't be forced to participate or view other people's views. It is mean.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread