+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going to the gym

Going to the gym

How often do you go to the gym?
    What do you do there? i.e. classes, treadmill, pool, etc....
    How long do you stay?
    How much is your membership?

Premium Member
    Marley. I just joined Curves 3 weeks ago. It's 3 times a week and the whole workout takes 30 minutes. It costs $30 a month, the sign up fee is $175 but if you sign up the same day you go in and check the place out they subtract 50%. Since I'm a nurse they didn't charge me a sign up fee at all.

FORT Fan
    Is 15 years old too young to start working out in the gym? I got this weird feeling that all the adults would stare at me, like if they are underestimating me.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Marley. I just joined Curves 3 weeks ago. It's 3 times a week and the whole workout takes 30 minutes. It costs $30 a month, the sign up fee is $175 but if you sign up the same day you go in and check the place out they subtract 50%. Since I'm a nurse they didn't charge me a sign up fee at all.
    Marley, I was a member of curves for 3 years. The first year and half of the second it really worked, but after that, my body got used to the routine and I just cancelled my membership. I have a BowFlex and treadmill, so I use them.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

We have a decent gym here at work that I pay all of $2 a month to use. They have weights (free and machine), treadmills, elliptical machines, bikes, etc. Can't beat the price, and I don't have to go far!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Genius
    Is 15 years old too young to start working out in the gym? I got this weird feeling that all the adults would stare at me, like if they are underestimating me.
    When I used to go to a gym, there were a lot of young teenagers there. However, I would caution you to speak to one of the gym employees about which exercises to do and how to do them. Since you are probably still growing, you don't want to cause any long term damage by exercising too much or the wrong way.

Good luck.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    How often do you go to the gym?
    What do you do there? i.e. classes, treadmill, pool, etc....
    How long do you stay?
    How much is your membership?
    Good topic!

I am a member of Gold's Gym (since Dec 2003). I pay about $30 a month - there wasn't a sign up / initial fee b/c my b/f was in the military at the time...they even gave me a 3 month free trial when he joined. We have a routine where we go 2 days (Mon, Tues), one day off, then 3 days (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and one day off. And we do different weights/ routines/ machines to work out different muscles on different days. Sometimes we use the machines and sometimes free weights. I don't use the treadmills/elliptical machines as much as I want to b/c our routines already have us at the gym for approximately 1-1/2 hrs each time. I have thought about taking a class (aerobics) but timewise (after work) it's not feasible unless I go on Sat morning which is always packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius
    I don't think 15 yrs old is too young but the gym may have rules about working out with an adult or something. Ask the trainers if you don't understand how to use a machine or the proper way to use them. Don't always copy others (who may be doing it incorrectly themselves) and you could hurt yourself.

I have been going to the gym 3 times a week since the beginning of August and I've lost just over 30 pounds. I go Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and do fast walking on treadmill for 1 hour and then 35-40 minutes of circuit weights. They also have tanning beds available that I have started utilizing twice a week. My membership is $35 per month.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG
    I have been going to the gym 3 times a week since the beginning of August and I've lost just over 30 pounds.
    CONGRATULATIONS, that's awesome!!!!

YAY! Congratulations all on your gym going routines!

Every winter (with all the snow) I tend to be more lazier, so I join a cycling class. HOLY COW!!! That is the most physically demanding thing I've ever done, and I consider myself a pretty athletic person

Has anybody else in here ever taken a cycling class? I wonder how the heck those instructors can do it EVERY DAY and still be so perky and happy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast