+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going to the gym

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I am thinking of purchasing an elliptical machine to use at home. My schedule has become so hectic that I am lucky to get to the gym once a week.
    Can anyone reccomend a machine? I'm broke so I can't afford anything really expensive. Anything less than $500, would be best. I am going to look around town for some used fitness equipment as that would probably fit my price range better. I'm worried that if I purchase an at-home piece of equipment that once it breaks and the warranty is over that I'll regret my decision to ever leave the gym. Have any of you had trouble with at home equipment? Thanks.

I have had problems, but only due to power outages. Try for a mid range machine if you can afford it, and before you buy, google the company. If you want to use it every day, then it pays to make an investment. Good luck, and happy exercising!

I didn't even think about power outages. The ones at the gym are plugged in, DUH. Thanks for that tip.

I went to a sports shop today and found an $80 pivot step machine that has bands for an upper body workout. I haven't bought it, but $80 sounds much better than the $1000+ elliptical machines they had. I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. I'm off to google the company to make sure it's reputable. The machine doesn't fall under the store's warranty program.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2215423;
    I am thinking of purchasing an elliptical machine to use at home. My schedule has become so hectic that I am lucky to get to the gym once a week.
    Can anyone reccomend a machine? I'm broke so I can't afford anything really expensive. Anything less than $500, would be best. I am going to look around town for some used fitness equipment as that would probably fit my price range better. I'm worried that if I purchase an at-home piece of equipment that once it breaks and the warranty is over that I'll regret my decision to ever leave the gym. Have any of you had trouble with at home equipment? Thanks.
    What type of machines do you have in mind, rt1ky?

I was looking for an elliptical because that was the only machine I knew of that could give you a total body workout. However the prices on some of them .

Today I found one of these machines and they are more in my price range, less than $100 and compact for storage and I think it only uses batteries. I need something low impact because of my knee and when I tried this in the store, I could feel my muscles working and my knee didn't hurt.

If I don't go every second day I get the feeling I will get out of shape (fat, unfit or whatever would be an appropriate label in my case) which is stupidity, since it's more or less a natural law that my ectomorph body won't gain fat or muscle.

Anyway, for various reasons I had not done the weights for more than 2 weeks, so it felt nice going at it again yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by fredlun;2225305;
    If I don't go every second day I get the feeling I will get out of shape (fat, unfit or whatever would be an appropriate label in my case) which is stupidity, since it's more or less a natural law that my ectomorph body won't gain fat or muscle.
    I sometimes get that way. I have to be careful. When I was in college I worked out after each time I ate and I got a little too thin for my parents' comfort. I don't know what my body type is.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Ectomorph--thin
    Mesomorph--middle and muscular
    Endomorph--chubby
    to over simplify, in case you meant you didn't know the definitions. And, fredlun, it can definitely change... I was once meso with no effort at all, now clearly endo!

It IS possible to exercise too much, rt1ky, a kind of eating disorder, so your parents may have been right to worry a bit.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Oh yeah....I am definitely Endomorph...though I prefer the term "fluffy"!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I think I'm a mesomorph.

I still have to battle to make sure I'm not on the step machine after every meal or snack. I am much better than I was in college. I have gained weight since college, but it hasn't freaked me out as much as I thought it would. I'm about 10-15 pounds heavier, but overall I like my shape and the extra padding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast