+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going to the gym

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2204070;
    So far only pain on stairs, but I don't want to do anything to aggravate them. I have no pain at all on flat surfaces, or ramps, just steps over a certain depth...just the thought of a Stairmaster... yikes. Maybe you lost weight while training and that helped? I'm sure it would help my knees. I don't mind walking, but it's pretty boring...had a walking machine that was incredibly noisy...back before we had captions on our TV...maybe now I could tolerate it...just put earphones on it to block out the noise before it damages my ears. Interesting about the eliptical and the no impact.
    My knees ache also and I avoid taking the stairs as much as possible. I liked using the rowing machine rather than the treadmill or stairclimber, when I had a membership at a gym.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 01-14-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2203938;
    For what it is worth, two of my sisters are big fans of Curves.
    My sons next door neighbor sort of sold me on Curves. She would only be gone from home less than an hour and ended up losing all the weight she needed to. She always looked very nice but was very large. After a few months, she looked great. I'll settle for "nice" myself.

I went to a Curves once on a free-trial period of someone else's membership. You do get the support there of other women exercising, but I found that I prefer exercising on my own, to doing it with a room full of women. I get distracted talking, and just find it much easier working out on my own...at my own pace.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I wish I had a treadmill, and a place to put it. When we travel and stay where there's a fitness room I always walk the treadmill for an hour or so. I can watch a whole tv show and walk without even realizing t. Now that's MY kind of exercise.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2204010;
    Are you saying you have bad knees? I used to (the pain mysteriously went away when I slowly trained for the LA marathon years ago and has never returned), but in the beginning of my training, whereas running on the treadmill hurt me, the eliptical did not. You're still bending your knees, but you don't have the sharp impact of slamming down against a stationary surface. It's more like the motion of riding a bike.
    This is the same experience I had. The eliptical doesn't hurt my knees. It has lower impact on the joints, plus it's works the upper and lower bodies at once. The ones at my gym also have stationary handles if you only want to work on your lower body.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2204504;
    I wish I had a treadmill, and a place to put it. When we travel and stay where there's a fitness room I always walk the treadmill for an hour or so. I can watch a whole tv show and walk without even realizing t. Now that's MY kind of exercise.
    Wow, you're better than me! I get bored after half an hour! Muduh, mine's pretty big (health club size) but it folds up pretty easily so you can put it in the corner. It still uses up room, but it take up less space when it's tucked away. Would something like that work for one of your rooms?

I walk on a treadmill at the Y and the old lady next to me has hers set to the same pace but she takes a lot of little tiny steps and I take long strides. Does it matter? Is one better than the other? I do have wicked long legs and it feels better to me to go with the longer stride, but it looks like I'm only going half the pace.
    Count your blessings!

Go with what's comfortable.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I agree with Newf. I don't think it matters how you get exercise although I do take long steps myself. I think that comes from being married to someone 14 inches taller than I am.

Now about the "Old" lady next to you. If you say she's 70, I WILL hunt you down.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2204512;
    Wow, you're better than me! I get bored after half an hour! Muduh, mine's pretty big (health club size) but it folds up pretty easily so you can put it in the corner. It still uses up room, but it take up less space when it's tucked away. Would something like that work for one of your rooms?
    It's ok to ask what brand it is, right? Since I'm pretty heavy I would need a pretty strong one, and I figured they would always take up a lot of space (we finally threw out the old one...took up a lot space, not that used, and SO noisy).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast