+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going to the gym

I would like to try a treadmill. Are they very loud? I like the idea of watching tv while using a treadmill or exercise bike.
    Has anyone tried the Gazelle? That looks like fun. Theres another one out that looks like a Gazelle but its different. You get both cardio and weight training in one work out. They say is a 10 min workout twice a day. Thats a routine I think I could do. I can't remember the name right now but I'm sure the infomercial will be on soon.
    As far as going to a gym I just won't do it. The main reason being I don't want to get stuck in a contract paying for something I won't use. The reason I'm sure I won't use it is because I don't like working out in front of people. I sweat profusely. Grossly. And I huff and puff so hard and loud its not only embaressing but I'm sure it disturbs others.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2196770;
    I would like to try a treadmill. Are they very loud? I like the idea of watching tv while using a treadmill or exercise bike.
    Has anyone tried the Gazelle?
    No, because I can't get that image of the exercise infomercial guy with long blond hair in a ponytail (Tony something?) going like crazy on the Gazelle!

We have a treadmill at home and love it. It's not perfectly quiet, but it's not bad. A little louder than our dishwasher (which is pretty quiet). When I'm running on it and watching TV, I have to turn the TV up way louder than I normally would (but then again, that's also so I can hear something besides my wheezing, and huffing and puffing!). I would suggest you ask to try them out at the store before making your purchase (we bought ours from a fitness store where all they sell is exercise equipment). My friend has a Precor and loves it.

When they're all going at the Y it is not too quiet, but there are 2 TVs and they always have the subtitles going along the bottom, so that's what I do while I tread...read the news on tv.
    Count your blessings!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2196770;
    As far as going to a gym I just won't do it. The main reason being I don't want to get stuck in a contract paying for something I won't use. The reason I'm sure I won't use it is because I don't like working out in front of people. I sweat profusely. Grossly. And I huff and puff so hard and loud its not only embaressing but I'm sure it disturbs others.
    Some gyms have month to month contracts. Mine does. It automatically updates until you put a cancellation order in writing.

I use the treadmill sometimes, but it can be hard on my knee. I injured it back in high school. I like the eliptical.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2197115;
    Some gyms have month to month contracts. Mine does. It automatically updates until you put a cancellation order in writing.
    This reminds me of the episode of FRIENDS when Chandler is trying to quit his gym and he can't do it, so he brings Ross to help him...and they both end up with memberships!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2197115;

I use the treadmill sometimes, but it can be hard on my knee. I injured it back in high school. I like the eliptical.
    Is the eliptical thing easier on knees? Asking from total ignorance here. Never even been on one.

I had about decided to join Curves. I need to do SOMETHING! They are building a 24 hour fitness place near us and my husband just insists that we should join that one together. He actually would go often, I have no doubt, but me, not so sure. I don't think I'd like being the lone old fat broad among all the svelte young tanned bodies so I may just say I'm going to Curves and let it go at that. They are practically next door to each other so we could still go at the same time if we just couldn't stand being parted for that half hour or so.

For what it is worth, two of my sisters are big fans of Curves.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2203871;
    Is the eliptical thing easier on knees? Asking from total ignorance here. Never even been on one.
    Are you saying you have bad knees? I used to (the pain mysteriously went away when I slowly trained for the LA marathon years ago and has never returned), but in the beginning of my training, whereas running on the treadmill hurt me, the eliptical did not. You're still bending your knees, but you don't have the sharp impact of slamming down against a stationary surface. It's more like the motion of riding a bike.

Lois, I loved that Friends episode.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2204010;
    Are you saying you have bad knees? I used to (the pain mysteriously went away when I slowly trained for the LA marathon years ago and has never returned), but in the beginning of my training, whereas running on the treadmill hurt me, the eliptical did not. You're still bending your knees, but you don't have the sharp impact of slamming down against a stationary surface. It's more like the motion of riding a bike.

Lois, I loved that Friends episode.
    So far only pain on stairs, but I don't want to do anything to aggravate them. I have no pain at all on flat surfaces, or ramps, just steps over a certain depth...just the thought of a Stairmaster... yikes. Maybe you lost weight while training and that helped? I'm sure it would help my knees. I don't mind walking, but it's pretty boring...had a walking machine that was incredibly noisy...back before we had captions on our TV...maybe now I could tolerate it...just put earphones on it to block out the noise before it damages my ears. Interesting about the eliptical and the no impact.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast