+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

FORT Fogey

How Are Your Neighbors?

I was going to bump a thread on this topic but couldn't find one anywhere in the forum, so I thought I'd go ahead and create one here.

How are your neighbors?

Are they the nice, kind, thoughtful, considerate, courteous, helpful, trustworthy, supportive types, or are they the nasty, rude, inconsiderate, criminal, selfish, scary types?

I've lived in a variety of places, ranging from a quiet 65-acre horse farm (where my closest neighbors were Holstein cows) to the busy heart of a major city (where my closest neighbors were crackheads), and I've had all types of neighbors over the years. I much prefer to have (and be) the good kind of neighbor but the bad ones are inevitable, and whether our neighbors are good or bad, they do have an impact on our lives.

I'd love to read about your neighbors and how they affect your lives.

On one side, our neighbors are this sweet Italian couple. They're my nonna's age. They always bring us tomatoes and other stuff they grow in their garden. On the other side, a younger family with three (well behaved) kids. We were really blessed this time. In my old area, we had nightmare neighbors. Their kid peed on our lawn and would throw rocks at cars that passed by. Not to mention, his father would tell his friends to park in our driveway. So from our old area to our new one, a definite improvement when it comes to neighbors.

How are my neighbors? Working their way towards a lung cancer diagnosis. It's gotten to the point where I can't leave my slider open anymore because they sit out on their patio and smoke and the smoke wafts up and right into my living room. This is the time of year when I love to be able to leave my slider open - it's nice and cool and slightly breezy - and now I can't or my apartment starts to smell like an ash tray. Why can't they smoke inside? My hope is that they get in more trouble with the management and get evicted. I've put in a request for a deaf nun with no TV, no pets and no friends to move in downstairs!

My other neighbors are fine, aside from the snotty little potheads who keep crying discrimination when the management hints about eviction over drug use. They are African American, but I think the discrimination should be against potheads or stupid people (who read the lease agreement and are breaking it by using drugs). I don't care what color they are.

A few years ago, I had the best neighbors here: a young guy who was on business 80% of the time, a young couple who made no noise and a Romanian women and her mother who watched out for all of us. SIGH.... I miss those folks.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Neat thread topic idea! I'm sure many FoRTers have some "interesting" neighbors!

I live in a converted school built in 1902 and most are owner-occupied condos/lofts so everyone is pretty cool and respectful in terms of noise, trash, etc... Even more, they are actually friendly! My last apartment building was full of grumps that never made eye contact let alone said "hello."

So, I was living in my cool loft, paying too much in rent, but very happy when....

last night....

*drip, drip, drip*

Yeah, the condo above me has a roof deck and on this roof deck, there is a hot tub!!! A hot tub! Who puts a hot tup on a roof??? (OK, I'm sure it's cool, but it seems like a HUGE liability issue if it leaked). So, long story short I now have hot tub water dripping into my apartment and ruining the ceiling.

My upstairs neighbor came over this morning and talked to my boyfriend about it. Apparently it has happened before and when the weather clears up (it started snowing in Denver yesterday) he will take a garden hose up to his roof and start spraying around to "isolate" the problem. Great! Maybe the whole ceiling will cave in!

Anyway, really, it's just a pet neighbor peeve right now. I wish that he could do more but, , like I said, at least he's friendly!

I really like my neighbors.

To the left is a sweet lady in her late 70's. I know that she is having medical problems right now as we are her call person.

To the right is Jim. He can fix anything and we are forever borrowing tools from him.

A few houses down on my right is one of my kindergarten students, well he is first grade now, from when I was student teaching. That whole family is very nice.

A few houses to the left is my Mum's friend from work and they have known me since I was four. Really nice family. Whenever my battery dies I am over there and they always help me out.

My two neighbors behind me and over the fence are interesting. One has dogs that would rip me from limb to limb. The other is a couple in their 80's and the husband talks to me over the fence and reminds me of Wilson from Home Improvement.

Not too bad a neighbourhood...I have lived in others that weren't half as nice.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Great thread, Pomeraniac.

I live in a very small cul-de-sac, and it's pretty interesting around here.

Next to us is a Puerto Rican family, very nice, party-type people, and they have a pool. Big plus.
    Across is a single late 50s architect, he's not very social but he's quiet.
    Diagonal is a 40s Italian/PuertoRican couple, he's a cop, she's a teacher. They are by far, the nicest people we've ever lived by. They invite us over several times a month, and we do the same.
    On another side of us is a young couple, with 2 kids under 5. They can be loud, but they're so cute! They're nice people too, the man just came back after a year in Iraq. The kids must be so happy!

I live in an apartment, and the neighbors are pretty silent, except for the ones upstairs who own a drum kit and clunky shoes. They limit their time on the drums, though, so it's ok. The guy who lives in the apartment behind me has friends clomping down the hall at all hours -- they occasionally knock on my door looking for him -- but when they're actually in his apartment I can't hear a thing.

My mother has lived in her house for 28 years, and some of the neighbors along her street have been there all that time. Mostly it's a quiet place -- the house right next to us used to be a rental, which usually attracted loud families somehow, but now it's been bought by a quiet old couple. Unfortunately, they've become the worst of the lot -- they're waging war against an old elm tree on OUR property, and the woman had someone come INTO my mom's yard while mom wasn't home to cut off some limbs that hung over HER yard. Mom decided not to confront her, but I was livid.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    My mother has lived in her house for 28 years, and some of the neighbors along her street have been there all that time. Mostly it's a quiet place -- the house right next to us used to be a rental, which usually attracted loud families somehow, but now it's been bought by a quiet old couple. Unfortunately, they've become the worst of the lot -- they're waging war against an old elm tree on OUR property, and the woman had someone come INTO my mom's yard while mom wasn't home to cut off some limbs that hung over HER yard. Mom decided not to confront her, but I was livid.
    Lucy, my parents had a smiliar thing happen with their neighbors. My folks had a tree with limbs that hung over into the neighbors' yard and vice versa. One day, my dad heard something up on the roof. When he went into the backyard to see what was up, the neighbor was on my parents' roof trimming tree limbs! My dad was really nice about it - I think he said "Well, I'm really surprised to see you standing on my roof." - but I thought the guy was a jackass for not asking before he did it. Can you say "liability"?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Loud, obnoxious, no consideration for others, they deface property not belonging to them and let their bratty spawns run amuck.
    I also don't apreaciate the loud music at 2 am.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Cool thread idea - thanks Pom

I live in the suburbs. To the east of us, is an very nice couple in their late 60's. They have lived in their home since 1960! All of their children are grown and live out of the area, so we let them know that it is okay to ask if they need anything. They are sooo nice.
    To the west of us, is a couple in their late 50's. They have a grown son who lives at home while working and going to college. The family is very nice, extremely quiet.
    I wonder what my neighbors say about us. I have 2 teenagers, and we are the "go to" house. I have always made the kids feel welcome here, as long as they behave and treat me and my home with respect. My son's band often practices here, so it may get loud. Fortunately, you cannot hear the "music" in the neighbors yards. No music after 6pm - just in case.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 123456789101151 ... LastLast