+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 448485868788899091929394
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

The Board has a fiduciary responsibility to protect the assets of the homeowners. If there is an unresolved difference between neighboring owners, and one of those is a Board member, they are especially responsible to try to reach a compromise fair to all. Should it look as if they are allowing a Board member to trespass on non- community property, they are putting the Condo Association in peril of legal costs and even a judgment against the Association. Their responsibility is to meet with you and let you present your case as plaintiff, and the neighbor a chance to defend her position. The neighbor/Board member should not be allowed in on the deliberations of the Board nor the vote. Before spending money on an attorney, first see how they handle your complaint. Make sure to let them know you expect a hearing and an impartial decision on the complaint. Let them know that you are keeping records and expect a written determination and will consult a lawyer if you suspect that the neighbor/Board member is given preferential treatment. I doubt that anywhere in your CC&R's is a trespass allowance.

I spent 12 years on my Condo Association Board, and we took very seriously our duty to protect the assets of the homeowners. And that means avoiding at all costs any legal costs or lawsuits.
    candor and Kip like this.

Candor, you can get a copy of your HOA docs from your county. The county I live in posts all these docs online, but they would at least be available at the courthouse if not online! Good luck!

That's my next step, Cornholio. Why do I laugh whenever I type that?
    Cornholio likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Your Association office should have a copy of the CC&Rs to give to you.

(I have to agree, it's hard to keep a straight face when typing CornholiLOLOLOLOLio. No offense, Cornholi - oh no, here I go again, LOLOLOLio.)
    Ellen and Cornholio like this.

Ha ha! When I signed up, so many usernames I tried were already taken. Out of frustration, I typed Cornholio, remembering how my brother used to watch Beavis and Butthead and the saying, "I am Cornholio! I need TP for my.." LOL, now I am stuck with it. And because it ends in O I'm betting people think I'm a guy, but that is not the case!

OK, on topic: regarding my next door neighbors - they love to leave stuff out all over their yard and have no regard for trash day. They dragged the Xmas tree out immediately after bulk pick up so it sat on the road for 8 days. Now there is a mountain of stuff at the end of their driveway since they decided to clean out their garage yesterday AM. Instead of participating in the neighborhood garage sale a few weeks ago, they just put everything out at the end of their driveway yesterday AM. The pile consists entirely of things they could've sold or donated. There were: 2 gas-powered ride on kids scooters, 5 bicycles, 4 regular chairs, 1 rocking chair, a large chalkboard, kids bean bags, toys, TVs, etc etc... so trucks have been pulling up for the past 24 hours picking through the mountain. All the chairs are gone now. The mountain is now a large pile. Bulk pickup is not until Wednesday. Our saying about them is " The ____ family just doesn't give a damn."
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Ha ha! When I signed up, so many usernames I tried were already taken. Out of frustration, I typed Cornholio, remembering how my brother used to watch Beavis and Butthead and the saying, "I am Cornholio! I need TP for my.." LOL, now I am stuck with it. And because it ends in O I'm betting people think I'm a guy, but that is not the case!

OK, on topic: regarding my next door neighbors - they love to leave stuff out all over their yard and have no regard for trash day. They dragged the Xmas tree out immediately after bulk pick up so it sat on the road for 8 days. Now there is a mountain of stuff at the end of their driveway since they decided to clean out their garage yesterday AM. Instead of participating in the neighborhood garage sale a few weeks ago, they just put everything out at the end of their driveway yesterday AM. The pile consists entirely of things they could've sold or donated. There were: 2 gas-powered ride on kids scooters, 5 bicycles, 4 regular chairs, 1 rocking chair, a large chalkboard, kids bean bags, toys, TVs, etc etc... so trucks have been pulling up for the past 24 hours picking through the mountain. All the chairs are gone now. The mountain is now a large pile. Bulk pickup is not until Wednesday. Our saying about them is " The ____ family just doesn't give a damn."
    Do you have an Association? We do and it is in the bylaws that trash can't be on the curb before 6pm the night before trash day. Our association is big on appearances and cleanliness, so they issue fines pretty regularly.

No, there isn't a true association. There are only 12 houses, so each house only pays $60 per year into the "association" to lease the streetlights from the power company. The only option is to call county code enforcement and I'm not going to do that - it would really cause hard feelings on this small street. The good news is that everything was gone by Monday AM. There are junk pickers who go around in pickups looking for this kind of stuff and they took EVERYTHING!

Years ago we pulled down an old basketball hoop that was on our property when we bought it. We set it out at the curb until we could ensure the garbage company could pick it up. The next day it was gone! I found out MUCH later from a neighbor that one of the kids that used to live in our house drove by and saw it and came back to pick it up. Nostalgia I guess!

+ Reply to Thread