+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Actually, it's her hose, but my water tap. That's even worse because it's one of those spiral hoses that you can't loop so it sits in a tangle in the corner. I should ask her to take it with her whenever she's done watering and see how long that lasts.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Candor, that is horrible! Your story brings back memories of my former next door neighbor. It was about 14 years ago, when I first moved in to my house. My idiot next door neighbor would use my left side hose for her yard. I paid the water bill and it was my hose. She didn't give a flying crap, and I was too young to get confrontational. I just had the spigot disconnected, because I never used it anyway. I doubt that could work for your situation, but the spigot could definitely be moved. I don't really understand how your patio can be claimed as common ground amongst the condos. Does your deed say anything specific about the patio area? Good luck on getting resolution.
    Ellen likes this.

Her hose, your spigot?
    Is it possible to remove her hose, place it on her patio (or doorstep or whatever), and lock whatever gate provides access to your enclosed PRIVATE patio? (...and inform the HOA, in writing, of your actions and reasons for them?)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

It could be worse. I own one side of a duplex, the only access to the attic is through my side. My neighbor does not speak to me because of situations I have had to discuss with her. I cannot wait until she needs in the attic and realizes I have the access. Of course I will let her use it, just the idea she will have to ask
    Punkin likes this.
    There's no place like home!

I just had an encounter with my neighbor that has unnerved me. She's just 20 and living in her dad's house with her current boyfriend (dad lives in a different town). She came over today, quite shaken, to use my phone to call her mom to pick her up. The boyfriend had taken her phone and was pacing up and down her driveway. I knew not all was well over there, as I was doing yardwork and could hear their shouts inside. But what I didn't know is this boyfriend is a POS. He just got out of jail for being busted, driving around with multiple traffic violations and possessing all manner of drugs. He was threatening to hurt her, so I stayed with her until her mom came. She didn't want me to call the cops, so I didn't, but was prepared to if he made a move on my watch. I swear I live in a nice neighborhood, not in some meth alley! I've known this girl off and on for the past 14 years (she hasn't always lived in the house), and it just breaks my heart that the cute little 6 year old who would come over to watch me paint when I first moved in, grew up to be in this DV situation.
    cablejockey, Kip and beerbelly like this.

That was one of the issues with my neighbor only it was her and the son. After 3 time I called the police. At least there is no more loud yelling.
    There's no place like home!

I have a neighbor (I live in NYC) who has a fantastic and crazy garden outside his house. I adore dogs so when I was passing one evening after a stressful day with moving my mom to Senior Living, there was a group outside: a man in a wheel chair, a couple of men and some dogs. I love dogs so I asked to pet. We struck up a conversation and then my neighbor asked if I wanted to see his back yard garden after telling him I have always admired his knack for having a garden (I just started to garden). I know you might be thinking 'Stranger Danger' especially in Hells Kitchen - but I went. And it was such a magical garden - he was growing everything and had at least 4 brownstones of space. Fairy lights and beautiful murals were everywhere- and the plants and flowers! It felt like The Secret Garden. I stayed talking with everyone, people stopped by and I can't tell you how much it lifted my spirits. I got hugs from everyone. I even had a pitbull jump up and lick my face!

So now, every time I run into him, he hugs me and asks me about my mom. I am born and bread in NYC so I am very biased, but this is just one example how I feel like it's a small town.
    candor, Kip, PhoneGrrrl and 4 others like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

That's really cool, beerbelly! My sister's neighborhood (Inwood) also has a small town feel at some times. She's got so many cool & supportive neighbors. The garden sounds amazing!

Thanks! Also now that I have been going to church I run into my 'church people' all the time! Inwood is supposed to be beautiful with so many parks and very good for families.

The garden was amazing! I look out of my window and all I see are buildings - no greens at all. So to step in to this magical world was so incredible!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Her hose, your spigot?
    Is it possible to remove her hose, place it on her patio (or doorstep or whatever), and lock whatever gate provides access to your enclosed PRIVATE patio? (...and inform the HOA, in writing, of your actions and reasons for them?)
    Unfortunately, there's no gate. There's a three-quarter fence and an opening. She still has to climb over some rocks and plants to get in, but it's not closed off. I've stopped short of removing the nozzle and hose because I didn't want this to escalate into an all-out war. I thought I could appeal to reason, but even after our last exchange I heard her down there today. I haven't heard back from the HOA, and since she's on the board I don't think I'll have much recourse with them. I do think I'll have to talk to a lawyer and see if I can track down the original condo declaration papers, which nobody here has ever seen.

Thanks for all your support, folks. If anything, it's a relief to know that I'm not the crazy one here. Sometimes when wrong people are so cocksure of their rightness it's easy to doubt yourself.
    Ellen and cablejockey like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread