+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 96 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Where I used to live, my neighbor played the flute. She would practice early in the mornings or late in the afternoon on her screened in porch. It was so lovely to hear music drift down my way. I miss her and her music.
    cablejockey, Kip and Eastcoastmom like this.

We got new neighbors to the north a few months ago. They aren't bad, but also not people I plan to get to know well. They annoying part is that they have at least three dogs (a min pin, a dachshund, a lab-ish looking dog, and possibly one more) and my neighbors to the south have two dogs (a scottie and some medium sized terrier or pointer breed). ALL of them seem to be barkers. When I am in the kitchen that overlooks the back of the house it's like I'm in the middle of a dog barking contest. Neither side seems to be quick about letting their dogs back inside. I like dogs, but I do not like incessant barking. It drives me batty!!
    AmyKay likes this.

one of our backyard neighbors got a new dog recently, and last night when we were in our bedroom watching tv around 9pm it started barking about once every 10 seconds or so...to the point my husband went out and walked around our house to make sure there wasn't someone sneaking around the property. When he was out there the dog didn't bark at all, so I took it as the dog making noise because he wanted attention and no one was around. They must have finally let him in about quarter to 10 which was a good thing or there would have been some knocking on the neighbor's door.

BTW sometime back I complained about the guy building a house next to us we were having issues with. He had a hard time getting the price he wanted for the house, so he came down on the price a few times. There is a police academy (for already hired officers to get more specialized training) across the street from us that showed interest in the house as many come from out of town for classes, so our City has bought the house and is leasing it to them for 10 years. I am extremely happy we have gotten the former owner out of our hair. I am also extremely happy- there will be cops staying in the house, mostly on weekdays only, and they have strict rules to live by or they will be kicked out of the academy and lose their jobs. Yay!
    Punkin, Ellen, Kip and 2 others like this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Now the weather is nicer, people are out in their backyards more. And so are their stereos which they seem to feel the neighborhood should hear too! I love music, but why is it that the loudest playing stuff is so bad and something I dont even want to hear? If you tell them to lower the volume, they get all huffy or can't believe that you dont want to hear it!!!
    I'm not even sure where it's coming from. I believe it's over on the next block across the street from me. But I have those music blasters. By the time it reaches my house, I don't even hear the music. All I hear is THUMP-A-THUMP-A-THUMP-A-THUMP-A-THUMP. Over & over for hours on end. I can sometimes hear it with the windows closed, but in the Summer with the windows open it's an all the weekend thing.
    When we were working on the siding a Summer or so ago, my son was ready to track them down & give them a verbal beat down. He takes after his father in that regard.
    I had to beg him to let it be, after all, I have to live there. He doesn't.

I've gotten used to it, but sometimes it gets pretty irritating. I keep hoping whoever it is will age out of that phase, but it's been a long time & it just isn't happening. I'm surprised that someone living closer hasn't raised a stink.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I've got wonderful neighbors which is the hardest part about considering selling my house. I've lived in this neighborhood since '94 but have only recently started meeting more neighbors. I really like getting to know the neighbors just enough to be there for each other if needed but not so close where you are expected to do things together. I had an emergency situation a few weeks ago and don't know what I would have done without the sweet lady and her little girl who live across the street.
    Punkin likes this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

My simmering resentment with my next door neighbor erupted into a full-scale feud last week. (I posted about our intrusive HOA last year). For the past five years my neighbor has been using the hose on my fenced-in patio to water her plants (the HOA pays for water). She considers my patio a common area, which to her means she has as much right to use it as I do.

I've put up with the daily intrusions for five years, but now she's complaining about how I keep the patio. Last year she asked me to move the grill because it was an eyesore. When I told her I wanted to put out patio furniture and, you know, actually use my patio, she said, "well, as long as it looks nice." Last week I was taking care of my friend's dog who apparently barked at her every time she was on the patio. She told me that the HOA bylaws prohibit more than two dogs and told me I couldn't watch my friend's dog anymore. She then complained that when I hose down the balcony above, the runoff comes down on the patio and it's "unpleasant." Did I mention that she's on my patio????

So we had an email exchange in which I complained that she was intruding on my space and complaining about it to boot. She responded that she didn't feel she was intruding; that she'd always used that hose and that I knew it when I bought the place. Blah, blah, blah. I wrote the new HOA president to see if the association could just move the water source to a central location, but I honestly don't think this should be my problem to solve.

Years ago I rented a duplex in Oakland and the water spigot was on my neighbor's side of the property. I didn't want to intrude on them so I paid to have a hose installed on my side. And I didn't even own the place. Instead of fighting with me I don't know why my neighbor just doesn't install her own freaking spigot.

Anyway, I'm waiting to see if the board is going to take this up or if I have to consult an attorney. So sick of this.
    cablejockey and Kip like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

If your [atio is the only access for the neighbor's water, then the people running the place are going to have to do something! If they wont move the tap, then at least lower your rent or condo fees! Your neighbor, knowing this bothers you, sounds like one of those who relish bothering others and getting under their skin--marking it up as a victory of some sort for them! (Too bad you couldn't be 'accidently' hosing off that balcony when she is under it.)
    Punkin and famita like this.

I had an encounter with a neighboring car this morning on the way to work. I pass 3 different schools on my way which require 20 mph when the light is blinking. Midway past the 1st school, I acquired someone riding on my bumper,....so I slowed down even more. 5 more miles down the road and the 2nd school was there and this person again rode on my bumper. I again went lower than 20 mph. When the speed went back to 55, i sped up but person was already going 65 and passed me. I noticed them in the distance riding on someone else's bumper since I kept seeing brake lights. Past the last school is a merging to a different road and the person ended up right in front of me at the stop light. The turning lane's green light came on (while ours remained red) and the stupid silly person went through the red light. I believe she is an accident waiting to happen. I was so glad to see her disappear ahead in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Your neighbor, knowing this bothers you, sounds like one of those who relish bothering others and getting under their skin--marking it up as a victory of some sort for them!
    I do think it's become a power struggle, and that's even more galling than her being clueless or insensitive. I wonder how she'd feel if I hung out on her deck with a book and a frosty beverage because, hey, sharing.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I do think it's become a power struggle, and that's even more galling than her being clueless or insensitive. I wonder how she'd feel if I hung out on her deck with a book and a frosty beverage because, hey, sharing.
    Have you thought about rolling up & taking in the hose? Then hooking it up only when you use it & then put it away again?
    I know it's an inconvenience, but it's your hose. If she's going to use the water on your patio let her bring her own. It's a nonconfrontational way to make things inconvenient for her.

If she asks why just say: "The hose had gotten a few small leaks in it. I figured it was from multiple people using it & dragging it around. I don't want to have to keep buying new hoses."
    Then if she does get her own & leave it on your patio, say: "Well, it was left on MY patio."
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread