+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40808182838485868788899091929394 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I just got new neighbors and one of them has a little pink bicycle. Lovely. There goes the neighborhood.

I should explain that I live on a property that is VERY quiet and secluded. There are ten units, but only nine are for tenants - the other is empty, but is for an on-site manager. I work from home and late into the night. I sleep in. I could sleep in until 2 pm on a Saturday afternoon if I wanted and it would be quiet enough to do it. I've already heard this little one shrieking and making noise in the way that only little girls can. *SIGH* NOT happy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I feel your pain.
    Ugghhh! When we moved here, it was pretty much quiet adults only and "quiet enjoyment" was enforced. As one who does a lot of prep work and editing at home, it *was* perfect.
    And then came the shriekers.
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-04-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yeah, it's not an exaggeration to say that my heart sunk. I heard the voices and then saw the little pink bike and just groaned. One of the best things about living here is the quiet. I've lived in big gated complexes with tons of people and in complexes with lots of kids running around. I choose this house because of the lack of noise and children (among other things). There's no partying around here. It's always been about 9-12 tenants, most of whom are adults with jobs outside the home. We all look out for one another, but we also have a low tolerance for noise.

It's not that I don't like children. I just don't want them running and and yelling and shrieking 5 feet from my front door. This is not a neighborhood with a park or even sidewalks, so I have a feeling the playing is going to be all around the property here. Joy. I didn't see how old the kid or kids in question are. I'm hoping they're school age, so I can have my quiet during weekdays.

My neighbor has grandchildren who visit from time to time, but I don't mind since they're not here all the time AND they're really sweet. If they were here all the time, I might not be so happy. A former tenant here had two young sons and they would play outside, but they were pretty well-behaved. I was still happy when they moved out. There's something about the shrieking of little girls though that just goes right to my spine. I may need to buy ear plugs.

My dream neighbor is a deaf nun with no pets. No, I'm not picky.
    Ellen, waywyrd, MFWalkoff and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

In my perfect world, the apartment next to ours would be completely shut down.

Right now I believe I'd rather hear laughter and happiness than insanity and anger like I have for the last few years.

I had a neighbor recently with a 4 yr. old shrieker. It drove me crazy. I had to tell all the neighbor kids to stay out of my driveway and only come in my yard with permission. I do my best to be unavailable to be asked for permission. This past summer I had a screen tent in the side yard and one time they started down my driveway to try to sell me some school fundraiser. I yelled at them from the screen tent (they couldn't see me) and from then on, not knowing if I was in the screen tent kept them from trying it again. heh.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Yeah, it's not an exaggeration to say that my heart sunk. I heard the voices and then saw the little pink bike and just groaned. One of the best things about living here is the quiet. I've lived in big gated complexes with tons of people and in complexes with lots of kids running around. I choose this house because of the lack of noise and children (among other things). There's no partying around here. It's always been about 9-12 tenants, most of whom are adults with jobs outside the home. We all look out for one another, but we also have a low tolerance for noise.

It's not that I don't like children. I just don't want them running and and yelling and shrieking 5 feet from my front door. This is not a neighborhood with a park or even sidewalks, so I have a feeling the playing is going to be all around the property here. Joy. I didn't see how old the kid or kids in question are. I'm hoping they're school age, so I can have my quiet during weekdays.

My neighbor has grandchildren who visit from time to time, but I don't mind since they're not here all the time AND they're really sweet. If they were here all the time, I might not be so happy. A former tenant here had two young sons and they would play outside, but they were pretty well-behaved. I was still happy when they moved out. There's something about the shrieking of little girls though that just goes right to my spine. I may need to buy ear plugs.

My dream neighbor is a deaf nun with no pets. No, I'm not picky.
    So I know they're new and you probably don't know them yet, but maybe when you do, talk to them. I have a 6 yo daughter who likes to shriek. I have told her she is allowed to be louder outside, but not to shriek just to shriek. We have neighbors and they don't need to listen to that. Also, my own opinion, but if you were my neighbor, I would be perfectly happy to work out a schedule with you. I don't want to stop my daughter from playing but if, for example, you always sleep til noon and I knew that and then you were working all afternoon and into the night, I would not be opposed to keeping my daughter inside in the morning so you could sleep. I know some people can be jackholes, but just throwing out there that not all of them are and if you explain your situation, the mother might be willing to work with you.
    AmyKay, momrek06 and Photobabe like this.

I live in a high rise in the OC. I will say 90% of the people that live here are gone all day to work.

I also find that most parents with little ones would perfer a house as vs an apt to raise your kiddos.

I think that is why I never hear or see kids ever here.

Now dogs, they will start yapping and if a resident does not stop it in a timely manner, you are encouraged to call the Office.

I have done that and bingo dog barking stops almost immediately. Phew. I do like that feature.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    So I know they're new and you probably don't know them yet, but maybe when you do, talk to them. I have a 6 yo daughter who likes to shriek. I have told her she is allowed to be louder outside, but not to shriek just to shriek. We have neighbors and they don't need to listen to that. Also, my own opinion, but if you were my neighbor, I would be perfectly happy to work out a schedule with you. I don't want to stop my daughter from playing but if, for example, you always sleep til noon and I knew that and then you were working all afternoon and into the night, I would not be opposed to keeping my daughter inside in the morning so you could sleep. I know some people can be jackholes, but just throwing out there that not all of them are and if you explain your situation, the mother might be willing to work with you.
    Unfortunately, the schedule I'd prefer is that she NEVER go outside! I want the quiet all the time. Not realistic, but there you go. I'm going to wait and see how this unfolds. If it looks like it will be an issue, then I'll decide on what to do. We haven't had any children here in a few years, so I've gotten used to it.

I'm hoping she's in daycare during the week, so maybe it's just the weekends that might be an issue. I'm just going to wait and see.

It always find it odd when new people move here where it's obviously really quiet, and then don't adapt to that culture. We had some younger girls move in and it was party party party and people parked in the fire lane for months until the management got involved. This is a great place to live as long as you want peace and quiet. Everyone is nice, but not very tolerant of people being disruptive.

I do have a neighbor with a bark-y dog, but he's still a puppy. It's not all the time and she is really good about quieting him down. I'm hopeful that he'll calm down as he gets older.

Gut - "4 yr. old shrieker"

How high is a high rise in Orange County? I can't think of many over ten stories.
    Ellen likes this.

I am extremely grateful for one of my neighbors, a farmer who lives about three miles down the road. I had planned to spend the afternoon trying to force my van down my driveway after an 8" snow. Before I had a chance, the neighbor came over with his tractor and box blade, and had the whole 800' cleared.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Now THAT'S a good neighbor.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread