+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Try to be as quiet as possible. You know that that corn has ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Try to be as quiet as possible. You know that that corn has ears.

Not yet it doesn't. So in the mean time .

I live in a fairly small apartment complex. The floors are very thin, so we can hear it when people stomp around, move things, etc.

The people who live in the apartment above need some therapy. I believe it's two girls and a guy that live there. Back in February my guy and I were in bed, and it was after midnight on a Friday night. We started hearing arguing, then screaming, and then a very loud thud, right above our bed. It sounded as if someone had hit the floor. Two of our then-roommates went upstairs to see what was going on, while mr. sleepy called the cops. They'd already received a call, and apparently it came from within that apartment. Our roommates didn't see much, but from everything I heard, a baseball bat might have been involved.

Fast forward to last night/really early this morning. It was around 2:30, and I was trying to go to sleep. I heard the guy and one of the girls arguing, and I could hear just about every word. He was mostly screaming at her, and the things he was saying were incredibly mean. I eventually fell asleep, but it was crazy. I didn't hear anything that would indicate a physical fight.

My son has a new neighbor and I thought that you all might like to hear aout her.

She came over to his house the other day and asked me when he would be home. She needed to talk to him because she had bought a storage shed and there wasn't room on the other side of her house to take it in the backyard. They were going to need to take it up HIS driveway, and HIS fence would need to come down before they got there. She figured that HE could do that the day before the shed is delivered, and then put it back up the next.

Big problems there, but the main one is (other than the fact that HE isn't going to do it) that his old dog lives in the backyard and would have to be tied up for a couple of days. No way.
    Oops, guilty We bought a shed years ago (don't live in the house anymore) - well actually my FIL bought it for us and then it was our problem but that's another story - but anyway, we had a similar situation but my husband and his family did all the work. The neighbor gave approval for us to use his side of the yard, my husband moved the fence (technically the fence was part of our fenced yard anyway), storage shed went in, fence was put back up and that was that.

But she does have quite the nerve to expect someone else to do the work. It's not unreasonable to have things put in your yard from time to time that can't fit through the gate, but it should be that person's responsibility to do all the work and make sure approvals are gotten and that everything is back just as it was before.

I had a problem with her just assuming that it would be okay, then coming and giving directions in how she wanted it taken care of. And I have a HUGE problem with her thinking that it's okay for the dog to be on a chain for two days, or two weeks, or however long it would take for everything to work out. I think her best bet is to get someone to build her a shed, on site.

Muduh, I'm with you on that! I would never presume to get an already built shed and expect my neighbors to remove their fence and then put it back up, let alone if they had a pet! Did she at least offer to pay for someone to do the work? I might have to send my dog to the spa, on her dime!

I had a problem with her just assuming that it would be okay, then coming and giving directions in how she wanted it taken care of. And I have a HUGE problem with her thinking that it's okay for the dog to be on a chain for two days, or two weeks, or however long it would take for everything to work out. I think her best bet is to get someone to build her a shed, on site.
    Muduh, is this the same neighbor who goes around directing everyone on what kind of treats to giver her dog? Because if it's not, your son sure has a lot of pushy neighbors!

FORT Fogey
    I adore my neighbors. On one side, I have a couple with a 2 year old daughter. She is close to the same age as my nephew who lives hours away from me, so it's fun to have her as my gauge of how he's growing between visits. She also becomes a great resource for ideas on what to get my nephew for gifts. Her parents are a bit lacking on the personality side, but they're kind (and don't expect me to take down fences for work being done on their property!) and that's all I can ask. Plus, I find it fascinating in a quasi-vouyer kind of way to watch them dealing with their daughter when all of us are in our backyards. It's like a live stage show of my own reality show!

On the other side are the wonderful neighbors everyone should be blessed to have. They're about the age of my parents, so they kind of fill the role of neighbor parents for me, and I serve as their neighbor daughter. He has every tool ever invented, including some he invented himself, and can fix ANYTHING. I try to call on him as infrequently as possible, but it's nice security knowing he's there if needed. She is that woman in the nieghborhood who knows everyone, and ties everyone together, but does so in a caring way rather than a gossipy way. And they always take care of my house when I go out of town. For one trip, I was feeling guilty that I relied on them so much, so I had a friend come over to water my flowers to give her a break. After the second day my friend came over, my neighbor came out and told her that it was silly for her to drive over and do that, she'd be happy to take care of the watering instead. Oh, and did I mention that when my house was painted and I'd leave for work each day before the painters arrived, my neighbor would come out each morning and greet them with coffee?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Muduh, is this the same neighbor who goes around directing everyone on what kind of treats to giver her dog? Because if it's not, your son sure has a lot of pushy neighbors!
    Same lady. She moved in about a month ago. I'm not sure how this is going to work. The other day she came over to tell me that our kid had played out"really late" the night before. I said "well his dad was with him, wasn't he?" and she said that he was but it was awfully late for a little one to be out (almost 5). I then said that my son usually took the kid in the house by nine at night and she said "oh, it wasn't THAT late. I was asleep before that!"
    We don't consider nine at night to be late.

His neighbor on the other side is an FBI agent and really stays out of sight. You hardly know he lives there. I sometimes talk to him over the back fence and he seems nice enough. He was there when my son moved there about ten years ago. I still don't know his name.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 06-13-2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: edited per Muduh's request

FORT Fogey
    This woman moved in only a month ago, and is this bossy? Wow! My impression of someone who'd spend that much time ordering her neighbors around is that she was someone who'd lived there for 30 years, and felt some sort of ownership of the neighborhood.

+ Reply to Thread