+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 96 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

All I can say is you are a much more patient woman than I am, Gut. Good luck and I hope the last few days of your vacation are kid-free and peaceful!
    Ellen likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I was treated to the mother screaming and ranting at them in their own yard yesterday. Maybe she just gets sick of them and is happy to have them out of her hair.
    No wonder those kids want somewhere else to play. It sounds to me that you're a victim here gutmutter, of terrible parenting on the part of these kid's parents. At 6 and 7, kid's decision making abilities are poor, it is their parent's responsibility to make sure they are safe and supervised at ALL times. It sounds like the kids are finally starting to understand the gravity of trespassing on people's properties and I hope it sticks. Perhaps if it happens again, the word "police" needs to be thrown in. It isn't out reach to call the police every time they are present on your property, not because the kids aren't listening, but because their parents are being neglectful.
    I understand taking defensive measures to keep them away, but it doesn't feel right that you would have to put up little fences and gravel on your asphalt as preventative measures... all that work because some neglectful parent doesn't care enough to keep an eye on their kids! Ticks me off on many levels. And nothing should disturb Hammock Time. Nothing!
    Please keep us updated, I'm glad to hear things have improved.

You guys are going to die over this one... I had the sweet little old lady neighbor over yesterday to show her my moon garden from the picture window (she isn't able to manage the rocks and slope) and I heard more horror stories from her. One involved two of the boys taking the 3 yr. old girl on a little wagon ride on her sidewalk and the next time she looked they were barreling her down the ROAD out of control. No parental supervision. Another one involved the grandfather across the street watching his grandson and one of the boys while he worked outside. The other boy and little girl joined them and he suddenly noticed it was quiet and they were nowhere to be seen. He called, went to one house and asked if they were there, nobody had seen them. Panic ensued. 20 minutes later they were found playing video games in the basement of the boy's house whose parents weren't home. Any wonder why I'm developing the gardens in my back and hidden side yard this year?
    Oh, and I've relocated my hammock to the path in the woods that overlooks a drop off and meadow.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I understand taking defensive measures to keep them away, but it doesn't feel right that you would have to put up little fences and gravel on your asphalt as preventative measures... all that work because some neglectful parent doesn't care enough to keep an eye on their kids! Ticks me off on many levels. And nothing should disturb Hammock Time. Nothing!
    Please keep us updated, I'm glad to hear things have improved.
    This is what I've been thinking too. A few years back I had similar trouble with similar aged neighbor children who were just turned loose on the neighborhood. The parents didn't bother to control them in the least & were as bad as the children. They were a problem to the entire block. They were renters & have moved, thank God.

It's appalling that we can't feel secure in our own privacy & homes because of someone else's negligence. Our homes should be our comfort zones.
    It's equally appalling that we should even consider changing our own property to try to disuade the problem makers. Putting up fences, gravelling our own driveway, electrifying our fences (yes, I thought of that briefly ). Even having to come out & put the run on them during our own down time. It's an imposition that just makes me mad.
    Often even if the police are called, they brush you off as if it's nothing. Nothing is ever done legally about it. One time I threatened the police that I would press charges with the County Attorney against both the neighbors & the Police Department, for their inactivity. I had documentation. All the police did was to meet with the parents who had a talk with the kids. The problem milded out, but didn't stop.

What's society come to that this is allowed to legally go on?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I'll tell you one thing, if my boys ever just walked into someone's home, I'd have their little asses on a platter! They don't open anyone's fridge, either. Not even grandmas.

I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my neighbor about her throwing leftovers out. I asked her if she was attached to any of the feral cats that yowl all night and she said no. So I informed her that I'm buying a trap and I'm going to start carting them off to the pound when I catch them. I also politely told her that "we" should probably stop throwing food out because it attracts them. I don't do that, but I figured if I didn't single her out, she wouldn't take offense and it worked. So now I need to get a trap. I'm worried I'll catch a skunk but I guess if I do, I'll call animal control to deal with it. No way will I go near that!
    Ellen likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

JavaJo ... if you bait the trap you could catch anything from a squirrel to a skunk. You are correct. Just don't bait the trap ... and if she stops throwing stuff out ... you won't catch anything.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

We’re about to shell out $5,000 to remove a bunch of trees on the lot line nearest our houses and driveways. Case law in my state (Massachusetts) is unexpectedly silent on lot line trees, but it appears we’re co-owners and that we each have the option of taking “self-help” measures. Neighbor’s truck was slightly dented last week when a branch fell from his side of the tree row onto his can’t-pass-inspection-anyway rusted out truck. Branches the neighbor could easily have trimmed (self-help) at any time. In the course of a meltdown with my husband over what happened, neighbor said it was our responsibility and he was going to sue us. I know that won’t happen because he’s beyond destitute. For the same reason, I know he’s not in a position to help with the cost of removing the trees even if he were willing.

My husband is devastated because he thought he had gone to considerable lengths to be friends with this guy who badly needs a friend. That hurts even more than our pocketbook is going to.

I think maybe you can choose your relatives but not your “friends”. ;^)
    AmyKay likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just confirmed that the neighbor behind us is back for the winter from his other home in Alaska. This guy called the community patrol every time our late Yorkie made a sound, and sometimes even when she didn't. She was not a yappy dog, and we know that he (a) exaggerated several times ("she's been at it for over an hour" when we were home and she had NOT been barking), and (b) even claimed to be a different neighbor when Patrol told him they had checked out our yard several times when he called and she was not barking.

Now that all we have left of Summer is her ashes, that guy had better NOT call Patrol about a barking dog and blame it on us. I'll lodge a complaint against him with the HOA.

/vent

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Oh, and I've relocated my hammock to the path in the woods that overlooks a drop off and meadow.
    That sounds so pretty. I'd love to come rock in your hammock!

My neighbors are very nice and I am very worried for them. For the last 24 years I have lived in Daly City. It is bordered on the north by my hometown of San Francisco, and on the South by the city of South San Francisco. Daly City has the highest concentration of Filipino Americans of any municipality in the US, comprising 35% of our population. The devastation wrought by the Typhoon has hit a people who live amongst the worst poverty imaginable. One of my neighbors is so distraught because her family live in one of the worst hit areas and there is no way to contact them to see if they are OK because all communications are down. The news reports are dire and depressing.

I hope you will be remembering them in your thoughts or prayers and donate to the Red Cross if you are in a good position to do so.
    inthegarden likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Punkin - that really makes this real for you. I said to my husband this morning, "I can not even IMAGINE what it must be like to be involved with such devastation." And that includes those who are here who can't contact their families.

Definite prayers.

+ Reply to Thread