+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3878798081828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 952
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

  1. #871
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,336

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    I know this solution may be a little inconvenient for you, but could you park your car in a different spot on your driveway? Like in the middle, so the little terrors wouldn't have enough room to ride their bikes/scooters/skateboards?
    PGM35 likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  2. #872
    Go Donny! Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Big Brother house
    Posts
    13,104

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    I love the ideas you guys are coming up with. I hope I'm not hogging this thread.
    An update: This is day 5 of vacation and it's been blissfully child-free, except when the boy I like asked permission to come show me his new bike. Then yesterday, I had been working on my moon garden behind the house and had the door to my mud room open for convenience in getting tools, bulbs, etc. I came up for supplies and two of the boys were in my driveway to ask something, but I never found out what because they led with, "Your kitten sure is cute". I asked how they knew I had a kitten and they had come into the mudroom to knock on my inside door and saw it through the window. I explained that the mudroom was part of my house and they were not to come in EVER without permission. Later I found something on my wood stove inside the house knocked over, so I have my suspicions. Anyway, I sent them away and said if it happened again there would be trouble.
    Count your blessings!

  3. #873
    FORT Fogey famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,753

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    This is crazy!! When did manners and rules stop being taught in the home? Even though I worked while raising my kids, I taught respect and "lines" you don't cross. We have a family that feels it's their rightto go through our back yard to get to the other street, even thought the corner is right there!
    AmyKay likes this.

  4. #874
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,059

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    Can't these self-absorbed brats with their inflated sense of entitlement -- or their parents -- be charged with breaking and entering? Seriously, they're criminals, and their parents are negligent.
    Sorry if I sound too harsh.
    (...but not too sorry...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #875
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Can't these self-absorbed brats with their inflated sense of entitlement -- or their parents -- be charged with breaking and entering? Seriously, they're criminals, and their parents are negligent.
    Sorry if I sound too harsh.
    (...but not too sorry...)
    They could, sure, but where's the proof? I'm saying this as a lawyer, not a naysayer - I totally believe you Gut, that they were in your house. But it is a hard one and police are reluctant to prosecute unless they catch them red-handed. And of course, since the parents must be complete s**t, based on what Gut has said - I have no doubt but that these parents would immediately jump in and say their little "angels" were at home with them all afternoon!

  6. #876
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    This is crazy!! When did manners and rules stop being taught in the home? Even though I worked while raising my kids, I taught respect and "lines" you don't cross. We have a family that feels it's their right to go through our back yard to get to the other street, even thought the corner is right there!
    Well the letter carriers around here walk right across lawns from house to house. (Our mailboxes are attached to our homes and some have mail slots that go directly into the home.) My neighbor seeded an edge that was completely bare from bigfoot ... and he put one of those short little fences .... both to let the seed "take" and as an alert to the letter carrier. He stepped right over the fence.

    The kids coming home from school cut across my other neighbor's (corner) lawn diagonally so as not to have to walk all the way around the corner on the paved walk! Sometimes they are on bikes.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  7. #877
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I love the ideas you guys are coming up with. I hope I'm not hogging this thread.
    An update: This is day 5 of vacation and it's been blissfully child-free, except when the boy I like asked permission to come show me his new bike. Then yesterday, I had been working on my moon garden behind the house and had the door to my mud room open for convenience in getting tools, bulbs, etc. I came up for supplies and two of the boys were in my driveway to ask something, but I never found out what because they led with, "Your kitten sure is cute". I asked how they knew I had a kitten and they had come into the mudroom to knock on my inside door and saw it through the window. I explained that the mudroom was part of my house and they were not to come in EVER without permission. Later I found something on my wood stove inside the house knocked over, so I have my suspicions. Anyway, I sent them away and said if it happened again there would be trouble.
    Maybe you should ask their parents if you can put the litter box in their kitchen so the kids can get a good look at the kitties. You know, of course, that I am kidding, but you need to have a nice but serious talk with the parents and the kids.

    One thing here, Gut. Your neighbors must feel their kids are really safe with you. You are that nice lady down the street if you know what I mean. If there was any fear the parents would be instructing them differently. I don't know exactly what the solution is. Maybe a recording of a big dog barking that is motion sensitive!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  8. #878
    Go Donny! Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Big Brother house
    Posts
    13,104

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    Keep in mind that they are 6 and 7 years old. They said they thought my mud room was a porch... and the door was open (I kept it closed today). I'm not excusing them, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure how a room enclosed by 4 walls translates in their minds to "porch", but I don't think they were being smart. I haven't seen them today, so I think they got the message. The family with the rude kids has a HUGE yard on the far side of their house from me. No reason they can't play there.
    Count your blessings!

  9. #879
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    I know they are little kids ... but walking into the nice lady's house is one thing.
    There are just so many dangerous situations not to mention wierdos out there these children could end up walking into someplace that is not so safe.

    Kids are curious. That is why they fall into wells, laundry chutes, et al.

    The parents obviously cannot see the kids if they are in other people's houses ... and that I do not understand. I don't let my dog play out of my sight for goodness sakes!

    By the way, you said your door was "open" . Did you mean standing open or ajar ... or just not locked?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #880
    Go Donny! Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Big Brother house
    Posts
    13,104

    Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

    That's why I can't be too mad... the mud room is separated from the main part of the house by a front door-looking door (which was closed) but the outside door to the mudroom was ajar. So I can see how to a 6 year old's mind it would seem ok to go in. But I know now that they aren't even supposed to be in my driveway (per their parents) without my permission. I let them know very clearly that the mudroom is part of my house and not a porch. I also let them know that I was aware of their history of going into the neighbor's house when they thought nobody was home and that that is breaking the law. I don't think they'll do it again. I was treated to the mother screaming and ranting at them in their own yard yesterday. Maybe she just gets sick of them and is happy to have them out of her hair.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.