+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 377778798081828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I used to have a family directly across the street with a sloping driveway ... and a young son (12-13 yo) with young friends who skateboarded.

They built a little ramp and would fly over the ramp, down that driveway, into and across the street and land on my apron/driveway ... and close to any cars parked there.

I tried everything. I told them I was afraid for them and asked them to stop. I told them it was really hard to get blood off cement I suggested the park and they said it was too far to walk with their boards. I overheard of the friends say something profane about me ... so I told the Mother. She told me to tell the Police .... and then she ended up asking the Police to watch out for them doing that while she was at work.

It did stop ... and eventually they moved.

Any chance you can contact the Police and mention that the kids are endangering themselves on your property?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I talked to a neighbor a little further down the street where I've seen the same kids hanging out and she is INCENSED about the whole situation. They have gone into her house when they thought nobody was home to see her puppy. The husband is bedridden with cancer. She had it out with both sets of parents, but they still come around. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
    I'll consider the police after I thing how things go this week. We have a week of vacation.
    Count your blessings!

OMG, they went into her house!? WTF? If they do it again, she should call the police and have them taken in for trespassing. What are the parents doing? I can't even process that. Seriously, W. T. F ? Time to start locking all the doors and windows.

I wonder, could you put gravel all over your driveway to make it less appealing to them or is it too steep? It's no fun to ride your bike, skateboard or rollerskate on that stuff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's an asphalt driveway. Not sure how gravel would work. I sure as heck didn't tell them I had kittens. They would have been bugging me to see them all the time.
    Actually, the more I think of it, gravel might be an interesting, non-confrontational approach. Hmmmmm.....
    Count your blessings!

Gravel, wood chips, anything that makes small wheels not roll smoothly and is inexpensive - and doesn't affect your car - might do the trick. Not sure what you could do about them wanting to play on your property. That's when it would be handy to have a remote-controlled sprinkler system that you could just turn on when the little snots were romping around in your yard! Then again, since it's kids, they might actually like that.

Smart move not telling them about the kittens. They'd be breaking in to get to them!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm liking the gravel idea more and more. It is the time of year when I clean out my garden and I have plenty of little rocks I can gather and scatter near the top of the driveway. I don't think they'd hurt my car tires. I've already told them that if I ever catch them jumping off bikes/scooters near my car again I'll be marching them up to have a conversation with their parents.
    Count your blessings!

I hope that works. The story about them going into your neighbor's house makes me so mad just reading it. Crit is right, that is trespassing and that is illegal. So is coming onto your property if you have explicitly told them to stop, by the way. I know you want to go the non-confrontational route and I get it. That these kids are continuing to do this stuff tells me these parents are just crap! But of course if something happens to the kids on your property, I have no doubt that they would be the first ones to sue. Make it clear that you want no trespassing or soliciting - like hanging a sign. I believe that puts them into a different category, should they later get hurt on your property.

One of the things they like to do is go partway down the driveway and then veer into the yard toward my garden, so I am going to put a cheapo, low, wire garden fence I have along there. I also found a box of fish tank gravel I got at a yard sale last year that would be even more effective than stones. I went to have a friendly talk with the grandfather of the boy I like (across the street) this morning to let him know that his grandson has never been a problem. We discussed the other kids and I got a good perspective on a lot of it. The bottom line is that the kids have been told by me and by their parents not to be on my property unless I've given them permission.
    Count your blessings!

Too bad you can't install temporary speed bumps!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

They'd use them as jump ramps!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread