+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 96 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

That makes it even worse! Frankly, I would have called the post office and told his supervisor. In my situation, the issue is manners and respect for my belongings, but in that case, he was not only stealing from them (since they paid for their water), but could have done damage to their property. Not cool.

I know all about the swallowing spiders in your sleep statistic. I'm sure that has nothing to do with why I sleep with my mouth closed
    Rattus likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Whatever happened to politeness and asking before you take something? I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it rude. Doesn't take much to ask first That's my issue with people using my hose....that and them not putting it back the way they found it.
    Agreed 100%. If I was home, I would have given him a drink of water, or a bottle of water. If I wasn't home, I would have told him absolutely, go ahead. But it is the sense of entitlement that I can just walk up and use something that doesn't belong to me without asking that totally ticks me off.
    Rattus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    I was trying to give the short version. Sorry. The spigot was kind of tricky to turn off, but the whole family knew how to do it. When they kept finding the hose running right next to their house, the kids were blamed at first, but then one of them spotted the mailman using it. They started checking it before and after the mailman had been there and sure enough, he was leaving it running. If they hadn't realized it was running, on the side of the house away from the front door and garage, it could have caused foundation issues.
    Yipes! I know foundation issues could be a huge problems. I have a friend who's basement leaks down the walls sometimes during a heavy Spring snow thaw. Leaving the hose running could do the same thing.

Plus, here we pay for water according to usage & it's against the law to leave your hose running except during assigned watering times punishable by large fines or having the City shut off your water. Granted, a simple drink wouldn't make any difference, but leaving the water running. Mr Mail Man would receive a bill for the water & fine if there was one, sent to the Post Office with an explanation letter, & a duplicate sent to the Water Company if it happened to me.

Yeah, I'm just that mean.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    My neighbor likes to throw out stale bread and leftovers for the birds and squirrels. Last night I encountered a large racoon while he was dining. Google racoon roundworm. Its an ugly thing and I'm trying to come up with a way to broach the subject with her without pissing her off but she really needs to stop. It attracts feral cats, too.
    We have an increasing skunk population and one of our neighbors throws all her scraps outside, and then wonders why her dog gets skunked so often!

I also have a neighbor who puts his empty peanut butter jar in recycling .... but without washing it and with the lid off!!!!! I keep telling him it's an invitation ... but he doesn't get it!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I am feeling angry/mean old lady-ish... between the 3 houses nearest me (across the street, next door, diagonal across my front yard) there are now 6 kids under the age of 8. I have a special connection with the boy across the street who was orphaned and being raised by his grandfather. His mom was a student of mine. 3 of the kids have lived diagonal from me since I moved in and they are bad mannered... leave trash in my yard, tore down my Halloween decorations, etc. Now the sweet old lady I'm friends with next door has her granddaughter, her boyfriend, and his 2 kids (with major issues - mom's a druggie and he's trying to get custody) living with her. I have a long sloped driveway which is supposed to give me some privacy, but the kids love to ride their bikes/scooters/big wheels down it. The problem is, nobody asks if it's ok and nobody supervises them. The youngest is 3. My one true joy is gardening and all my bulbs and perennials are just starting to come up. I don't want them trampled!!! I spoke to them yesterday when they were racing down my driveway out of control, jumping off bikes and scooters a foot from my car. Now they're there again. I don't want to have them grow up wanting to vandalize my property, but I don't want them here without permission, either. My old lady friend understands and just called to verify that she should talk with her granddaughter about it. The diagonal family has nasty parents and I'm sure if I say something to them, they'll bad-mouth me in front of the kids, if not vandalize my property themselves (think motorcycles revving, screaming matches when he's drunk).
    Count your blessings!

You're not being mean, Gut. If any of those kids hurt themselves while on your property, YOU could be liable. Maybe if you frame it from the standpoint of being concerned for the safety of their kids, the parents would be more receptive? The smartass in me would suggest getting a lawyer to draft up a release to have the parents sign agreeing that you're not liable for any injury to their children that occurs while on your property.

Is there something you could do to make the driveway less appealing, like water it down with the hose on days when the kids are likely to be out? I know I would have stayed away from a wet driveway if I was out skating or riding my bike.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I know how it is when you just want to live in a quiet, peaceful place and there are people who don't respect that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't have a solution to irresponsible parents. If you've asked nicely and fences are out of the question then I would protect myself by making sure I had good home owners insurance and are covered if someone gets hurt. They sound like the type that would sue you if one of their kids got hurt on your land.
    Give the kids little jobs to do...pick up sticks, limbs, trash etc. If they see they have to work everytime they come over they might stay away.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 04-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.

I don't dislike kids, but I'm a teacher and on the weekend I want to read, work in the yard, relax. If I'm sitting by the back window and I can hear them racing down my driveway (Big Wheels are loud!!) and squealing... I just can't relax. I have also invested a lot of time and money in my garden and kids just don't consider things like bulbs and perennials that are just starting to peek through. The one who trashed my Halloween decorations was in the woods beside my house with another one making lots of noise. There isn't any vantage point from inside where I can see that area. It is where I put my hammock when I want to read outside, so I don't want them to think it is a play area. I asked them not to play there and the kid (6 years old) argued with me that he liked playing there. I had to pull the, "It's not your property" argument back. I know better. You don't argue, you firmly tell them what they can't do. *sigh*
    Count your blessings!

I totally understand Gutmutter. We have a newly paved greenway not too far from my house (yay!) but now the people from nearby neighborhoods are walking thru OUR YARDS to get to it. There is a sidewalk around the block. In a way I could understand if it were kids, but this is adults! I was always taught not to go on someone else's property, and its something I stress to my kid. Its part of my crotchety-ness I guess.
    Another irk to my crotchety-ness, we live across the street from a Drivers improvement school. People coming to class or picking up others are constantly parking in front of our house. I know its a public street, but we have no driveways, and there is a parking lot NEXT to the school. I hate when I come back from the grocery store especially and cant park in front of my own house.
    Overall I like my neighborhood tho. We live on a dead end, and during the day the Driver Improvement school is an academy for local police so we always have police presence during the day.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Wow! That's a bonus. I don't suppose you could leave a lawn chair in your spot like they do in Boston during blizzard season?
    Trying not to drone on and on, but one of the reasons I chose this house is that it is down off of the street away from the neighbors and surrounded by woods on two sides. The property is L-shaped so even the two neighbors up on the street don't have back yards adjacent to mine. All that is blown out of the water if SIX kids feel they can invade my property any time they want. I guess I have to get tough. We have a week of school vacation starting a week from now.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 04-06-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread