+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 96 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Oh my gosh I can't believe people use your hose without asking! Isn't that increasing your water bill too? That is so completely rude. I would be tempted to keep the hose inside and only bring it outside when you want to use it. I know it would be a big hassle, but it's the principle!

Luckily, I don't pay for my water. If I did, I would have been out raging at these idiots a long time ago. I've had people use it while I was showering, washing dishes and doing laundry and it messes with my water pressure. I hate confrontation, so I avoided going out there are asking what the hell they think they're doing. I think the absence of the hose will get my point across.

I don't have room in the house for it, but I put it behind the house. I almost zip tied it in a coil so that no one could use it without cutting the ties, which would be pretty freaking nervy. I live in a cottage with no back yard. All of the units on this property face the same direction and there's just a strip of lawn behind. Someone would have to walk back there to even know the hose is there, because no one saw me put it back there. If anyone has the nerve to get it and hook it back up, I will lose it. There's an empty cottage with a hose on the property. They can go wash their stupid cars there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a friend who discovered that the mailman would get a drink from their hose without permission. They did pay for the water and even though it wasn't much, were rather creeped out by the situation. They fixed it by getting a spigot with a removable handle. You either needed the handle or a wrench to turn on the water.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Once someone told me that spiders can and do crawl up garden hoses, I never wanted to drink out of a hose again. Plus, YUCK. It sits outside and often has standing water in it depending on when you last used it and how it's stored. Not very sanitary.

I don't blame your friends. I'd be annoyed and creeped out too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once someone told me that spiders can and do crawl up garden hoses, I never wanted to drink out of a hose again. Plus, YUCK. It sits outside and often has standing water in it depending on when you last used it and how it's stored. Not very sanitary.

I don't blame your friends. I'd be annoyed and creeped out too.
    I agree it seems unsanitary, but funny how things have changed. When we were kids, we all drank out of the hose! As for spiders, you know you have probably swallowed a couple in your sleep, right? I think the stat is that most people swallow something like 6 spiders in their lifetime.

nothing like a cold drink of hose water on a hot day.
    Ellen and Lil Bit like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Poor mailman was probably just really thirsty. I don't get the problem with that. Whatever happened to kindness?
    Ellen, justCoz and Photobabe like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Poor mailman was probably just really thirsty. I don't get the problem with that. Whatever happened to kindness?
    Whatever happened to politeness and asking before you take something? I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it rude. Doesn't take much to ask first That's my issue with people using my hose....that and them not putting it back the way they found it.
    Rattus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I agree it seems unsanitary, but funny how things have changed. When we were kids, we all drank out of the hose! As for spiders, you know you have probably swallowed a couple in your sleep, right? I think the stat is that most people swallow something like 6 spiders in their lifetime.
    Thank you for telling me that...
    ::yikes!::
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I was trying to give the short version. Sorry. The spigot was kind of tricky to turn off, but the whole family knew how to do it. When they kept finding the hose running right next to their house, the kids were blamed at first, but then one of them spotted the mailman using it. They started checking it before and after the mailman had been there and sure enough, he was leaving it running. If they hadn't realized it was running, on the side of the house away from the front door and garage, it could have caused foundation issues.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread