+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

We live in a senior community with an HOA. There are rules that if you're having anything done to the outside of your house, you have to request a permit. It's pretty routine, but it's a rule.

We came home from work on Saturday to find a couple of guys with a pickup truck (no signage on it), spray painting our next-door neighbor's house. No permit showing in the window, as required by the HOA. And the neighbors (as far as we know) haven't come down from Alaska yet to winter in their Arizona home (which is the one next door to us). After we got home, my husband went out to get the mail and noticed the painters leaning up against the truck, and OUR gate was wide open. Okay, so they went in the yard to paint the side of the neighbor's house. We'd rather have been asked first, but it was too late for that. The thing that annoyed us was that the gate was wide open, and we have a dog who has access to the back yard through a doggy door. So our beloved Yorkie could have been wandering up and down the street, with half-blind old people speeding around in golf carts.

My hubby tried to tell the painters that they should have not left the gate sitting open. Unfortunately, their English was so limited, they thought he was asking if it was okay for him to close his own gate. How nice was it that they said, "Is okay. You close"?

After he closed the gate and came back in through the garage (not going through the gate), he went back out later and realized that they had forced the gate to open inward (it should be opened outward), and in so doing had torn loose a firmly attached piece of latticework we had attached to the gate to block skunks from coming into the yard. The little plastic connectors were all over the ground, and the lattice was hanging loose.

We called the HOA and are trying to track down the painters to make them come back and fix the gate. If they won't come for us, perhaps we'll send INS. (Okay, that was mean, but a fact of life here in Arizona.)

And we're going back to putting a lock on the gate so NO ONE can open it except us.

How annoying! Has anyone tried to contact the neighbor?
    Count your blessings!

I'm waiting to hear back from the HOA. If I can get the painters' company name from them, that's what I'll do. But we do have the neighbor's phone number, so hubby will call them at lunchtime if we haven't gotten the info any other way.

I had an original neighbor who was just shifty. His kids were always running around. I had a ton of damage to my property due to his children (holes cut in chain link fences etc.). He finally packed up and left town one day. Since then he's been renting the house next door to me. I live in a residential neighborhood. For the most part the renters have been ok. We had one guy selling drugs out of there. A quiet family and now I have what I call the trashy people. It's like they grew up in a barn honest to goodness.

They leave their semi truck on the street running day and night like it's a truck stop parking lot. They have a pack of dogs that they have just let run including a pit bull which has come close to attacking me and my mom in my yard which is fenced in. I had to tell them at one point that if they are going to insist on letting that dog run that if it gets into my yard when my dog (great dane) is out I won't physically be able to break up the dog fight so they may want to think of that. They have constant large bonfires. Spend much of their time outside yelling.

I finally hit a breaking point though when they took scrap wood and nailed it together and then nailed it to my wooden fence which is well on my side of the property line (if I remember right it's about a foot on my side of the line. I paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time putting that fence up myself and to see this heavy wooden catastrophe pulling the top over and damaging it just made me lose it. They never even asked. Told the stoner who was sleeping in the garage he had to take it down. Apparently the guy on the other side of them has said the same thing as well since I see they eventually moved that one too.

But it's like they have absolutely no concept of what living in a residential neighborhood means behavior wise and they're totally not learning either.

End of last story - the neighbors apologized, and we told them that we would work with the painters directly. The painting company pretty much did nothing and said they didn't need to file for a permit from the HOA because they knew the color they were using was approved. Okay. So guess what? We've reported to the HOA that you did not get the permit, and that you were not cooperative regarding the repair of our gate. He asked, "Are you trying to get me banned from the community?" "No, sir, but apparently YOU are trying to get yourself banned."

So today, our neighbor behind us called and complained to the HOA that our dog had been barking all morning. Really? We were home all morning, she was in the garage with my hubby and did not make a peep - although another dog in the neighborhood WAS barking. We can't be responsible for EVERY dog in the neighborhood and have filed a written response to the complaint stating the same. He's one of those kinds of people that if you were to whisper, he'd swear you were screaming. He needs to find someone else to bully, 'cause I may be a Christian, but I'm not turning the other cheek when it comes to maligning my dog!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    He needs to find someone else to bully, 'cause I may be a Christian, but I'm not turning the other cheek when it comes to maligning my dog!!
    Best sentence I have read all day!!
    AZChristian likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    He's one of those kinds of people that if you were to whisper, he'd swear you were screaming. He needs to find someone else to bully, 'cause I may be a Christian, but I'm not turning the other cheek when it comes to maligning my dog!!
    I have one of THOSE neighbors too! He is not a happy person and complains about everything!!! I think he gets up every morning and looks for something to complain about. My dogs barking, my cows (his Yorkie comes over to my pasture and rolls in and snacks on the cow pies), cats, birds, deer, skunks, opossums, squirrels, basically anything that is not him. Why do people move to the country and expect not to encounter wildlife and farm animals?
    My response to my dogs barking is... My dogs are farm dogs and not frivolous barkers and if you do hear them barking, especially at night, you might want to look out because it is either someone or something that is not suppose to be around.
    He has been saying for years that he is going to move into a retirement home. His wife is a sweetheart and I will miss her. Him, I'll dance a happy dance when he moves.

We live on an acreage out in the country. Five years ago our Boston Terrier, who had been a member of our family for 11 years, died and we buried him on the edge of our property. I put up a little tombstone with his picture on it and my granddaughters and I still place flowers on his little grave. Well, last summer, the man who owns the farmland next to our acreage, who is also our neighbor, told my husband that the GPS on his tractor says that he should have an additional 5 feet of land on that side of the acreage that is actually his property. He wondered if we would dig up Sam's grave and move him!! Now, the property was surveyed and staked out by the county and I don't think it has anything to do with his stupid GPS device that is on his tractor but anyway, he kept bugging my husband about it until Mr. Bit told him: "If you want me to dig up the dog that my wife thought of as one of her children, and still mourns to this day, you will have to talk to her about it." So far he hasn't said a word to me about it, and he's also quit mentioning it to my husband. I guess even at 5'2" and 125 lbs, I can still be a little intimidating!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My formerly quiet late teenaged neighbors have become exceptionally loud over the past few weeks, which is made even weirder by the fact that they now have a baby. The latest thing is since last Friday, they've been blaring music so loudly that I hear the bass in my house over my TV. I even tried making a noise complaint with the cops, noting that they had a baby in there, but the cops couldn't be bothered. Yeah, I know it's not a crime scene, but still there are cops on patrol that could do a drive by. Yesterday it went on from about 3 p.m. to a bit after 11 p.m., just as it did Saturday through Monday (which I had off). I'm tempted to try to find a phone number for the girl's dad, as he owns the house.

Phonegrrrl: That is annoying and shame on the police for not at least looking into things for the sake of the baby!

+ Reply to Thread