+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 94 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Unfortunately, that happens when you do favors for people--they just take it for granted after awhile and assume you will do it! Does the neighbour even compensate you for doing this in any way?

FORT Newbie

My neighbors are really nice, helpful, kind, considerate, courteous, trustworthy and cooperative.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Unfortunately, that happens when you do favors for people--they just take it for granted after awhile and assume you will do it! Does the neighbour even compensate you for doing this in any way?
    She brings me a souvenir each time she goes on vacation and I wouldn't take her money even if she offered. I really don't mind taking care of her cats. I really like her and her family and they've been good neighbors. I'm just a bit sore that I wasn't asked and that it was very last minute.
    cablejockey likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Some neigbhors are great, but others are so bad, that I can't even talk about it.

My neighbors rented their home out for a year while they lived in Paris for her husbands job. When they came home found the inside tore up and lots of missing furnishings. You would think someone paying $4300 a month would have more class.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

When the noisy tenant lived in the apartment below mine, I ended up with shingles. That was the only time I ever had shingles, which is caused when the chickenpox virus is reactivated by a weakened immune system. The last time that the noisy tenant argued with her equally noisy boyfriend, they were screaming at each other through their front door. I looked out my window and everyone in the complex was standing on the walkway and staring. The noisy tenant's boyfriend never returned after that. Also, when I lived in the little house, I had a neighbor who kept three large dogs penned up in his backyard. The dogs barked all day and all night. He drove a pet ambulance, which he parked on the street in front of his house. I don't think he ever walked his dogs. When I called the police to complain, they said that they no longer dealt with complaints of barking dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I love my neighbor dearly and we're good friends, but I'm a bit miffed right now. I take care of her cats when her family goes on vacation and she always asks me in advance. Last Friday, she called me, informed me they were leaving for a cruise on Saturday and told me she'd drop the new house key off to me in a bit. What? Didn't ask, no advanced warning...she just assumed it was fine. Which honestly, last week was a busy one for me and I had to scramble to find time to get over there and take care of everything. I clean their dishes everyday and tend to the litter box, plus take care of her outdoor cat which has to be locked in the garage every night to keep the raccoons from fighting with her. So I had to trudge out at 11 pm every night with a flashlight and a broom (in case I ran into a raccoon) to lock her in. I didn't even make it over there on Saturday because we were out of town at a family wedding. Luckily, that's the day she came home, so the kitties didn't go without food (plus, I overfilled their bowls JIC). I guess I'm just mad that she didn't ask, just assumed I'd be free to do it.
    My mom does this for her neighbor and then complains to me about it. I have told her that no is a perfectly acceptable answer, but if she isn't going to say no, then why is she really angry? My guess is that her answer is probably the same one you will give - because you are worried about the pet (in her case, it is a dog). I understand to a point - but you can't care more than the owner does. I would have been very honest - oh, I wish you had asked me sooner, but I have a lot of things going on this week. I can handle taking care of the cats on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (for example), but I already have things going on on the other nights, so you need to find someone else to cover those days. It is the complete lack of respect of my mom and what she may have going on in her life that drives me nuts. But if my mom is not willing to stand up for herself, then there is nothing I can really do about it.

A couple of days ago the neighbor boys, who are both six, were in my yard swinging on my swing. I was a little surprised because they usually aren't allowed to come into my yard without me inviting them, but I didn't care. About ten minutes later it sounded like they were in a different part of my yard, so I peeked out the window. The bad one was tearing down my Halloween decorations! I tore out the door yelling, "What are you doing?" and the good boy's grandfather (who is raising him) was out in his yard and asked what was going on. I told him and the bad boy could hardly deny it, because the decoration was still in his hand. I retrieved it, and part of it was broken. The grandfather sent the bad boy home and took his grandson to their yard. I don't want bad feelings, but I don't want them to think they can come in my yard and tear down my holiday decorations, either.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I don't blame you, Gutmutter. Six seems to be awfully young to be left outside unsupervised, imo. No matter how nice the other 6 year old is, I still don't think his granddad should leave him out alone unsupervised. Vandalism is one thing (I know it was not very nice but things can be replaced) but I fear for the children's safety. Just the other day a 12 year old Jersey girl out on her bike went missing and was found murdered a few blocks away. I can't even fathom leaving children that young outside, unsupervised, but I have been known to be a worry wart. My sons were not allowed out of my backyard until they were in middle school!

I worry most about when I hear/see them on their big wheels out in the road. We live in a residential area off a well-traveled street. Not a lot of traffic, but they're heading downhill into a blind corner and it really worries me. They used to be much more supervised. Not sure why they're allowed to do that. One boy's mother was killed in a car accident, so you think they'd be more concerned. The vandalism doens't concern me much... probably more curiousity than anything. Just wanted to nip it in the bud.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread