+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 91 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Candor - I don't know the laws where you live, but in California, even a landlord has to give notice (I believe it's 24 hours) before entering your residence. What your neighbors are doing is illegal. Can you change your locks? I'd do everything I could to keep them from continuing that behavior, down to putting a lock on my patio and taking my hose inside so they can't use it. Post "No trespassing" signs on your patio door/gate. My neighbors have a camera in their front window, with a sign that says something like "Smile! You're on camera!" We had problems with people "casing" the area and breaking into cars. They installed the camera as a deterrent. I'd tell your neighbors that you'll install cameras and, if they are caught on camera entering your home without your permission, you'll go to the police.

I'd do some research online to see what the law says and then, if you can, have a lawyer send them a letter basically telling them to cease and desist. Just because you have a homeowners' association doesn't mean that they can behave this way. I'd also check into the law as far as your patio. Unless the law is different where you live, that's YOUR private property.

I only had a landlord enter my home once without permission. In my old apartment, there was a bad leak under my kitchen sink that I didn't know about because all the water was going underneath the cabinets and then into the apartment below mine. They had to enter and fix the problem while I was at work because the water was causing damage to the unit downstairs. Your window being open is not grounds for your neighbors to enter your home, IMO. If there is damage, it's none of their business, as long as you fix it before you move.

Just reading your post about all this has gotten me riled up! I'd be furious!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey
    I rented when I lived in the little house. The owner lived nearby. I didn't have a phone at the time, so the owner would go into the place I rented every day and leave a note for me on the kitchen table. I got tired of the daily inspections, which meant I had to clean and organize every day... so I asked the owner to stop doing that. She could leave her daily note on the front door. I then told the owner that I was going on a vacation for two days, but I got back one day early. When I opened the refrigerator, I saw a turkey. She had apparently run out of room in her refrigerator, so she decided to put her turkey in my refrigerator. I took the turkey out and put it on my kitchen table. I didn't tell the owner what I had done. When I lived in the place with the neighbor who was a dentist, I put a new lock in the front door. There seemed to be something very wrong with the dentst. Plus, I've known a lot of dentists who were lacking in morals and ethics. And, there was the experience of the previous owner's daily inspections. I wouldn't have been surprised if the dentist had asked the owner for a key to my apartment. So, I installed a new lock in the front door. And what about the manager who just cleaned units... who had no aptitude or skill in dealing with people? Of course she went in to my apartment without giving me a 24-hour notice.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Apropos of this thread, I just went to get the mail and saw my new neighbor, two doors down (rental property). He's out in his driveway with a couple of gals dressed as Playboy bunnies. That's either one very odd interpretation of Easter or I've got another nutbag on the street.
    Oh dear.Lets hope its his ways of celebrating Easter
    cablejockey likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Candor - I don't know the laws where you live, but in California, even a landlord has to give notice (I believe it's 24 hours) before entering your residence. What your neighbors are doing is illegal. Just reading your post about all this has gotten me riled up! I'd be furious!
    The problem is, I have proof of only two incidents of them coming in without permission: first, when I had just moved in (the husband and wife walked in my front without knocking) and then when my drywaller was here. The other times it's just been strange indications that they've been inside, like the light on. The association bylaws require that the HOA have keys to units in case of fire, etc., so even if I changed the locks I'd have to give the perpetrators the new key.

I was gearing up for a big confrontation, and my drywaller enthusiastically offered to write a statement, but by the time the remodel was over I was just sick of the conflict and I let it drop. My new strategy is to destablize the power structure from within *evil grin*. I'm not the only owner they bully, so I've started to go to board meetings, and objecting when they go over the line in general, such as declaring one owner's fenced-in yard a common area for no other reason than to flex their muscle.

In my letter to them I suggested that the complex hire a professional management company for day-to-day duties because having a neighbor serve as the HOA president and property manager creates an imbalance of power that can lead to abuse. That's when they stopped talking to me. But after coming to board meetings it's obvious that the membership wouldn't want to pay for an outside manager anyway. Some of the owners follow the bullies like sycophants; others are completely cowed.

My sister jokes that my complex is like Del Boca Vista, where Jerry's parents lived in "Seinfeld. Given that everyone here but me is retired, she's probably right.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    The problem is, I have proof of only two incidents of them coming in without permission: first, when I had just moved in (the husband and wife walked in my front without knocking) and then when my drywaller was here. The other times it's just been strange indications that they've been inside, like the light on. The association bylaws require that the HOA have keys to units in case of fire, etc., so even if I changed the locks I'd have to give the perpetrators the new key.

I was gearing up for a big confrontation, and my drywaller enthusiastically offered to write a statement, but by the time the remodel was over I was just sick of the conflict and I let it drop. My new strategy is to destablize the power structure from within *evil grin*. I'm not the only owner they bully, so I've started to go to board meetings, and objecting when they go over the line in general, such as declaring one owner's fenced-in yard a common area for no other reason than to flex their muscle.

In my letter to them I suggested that the complex hire a professional management company for day-to-day duties because having a neighbor serve as the HOA president and property manager creates an imbalance of power that can lead to abuse. That's when they stopped talking to me. But after coming to board meetings it's obvious that the membership wouldn't want to pay for an outside manager anyway. Some of the owners follow the bullies like sycophants; others are completely cowed.

My sister jokes that my complex is like Del Boca Vista, where Jerry's parents lived in "Seinfeld. Given that everyone here but me is retired, she's probably right.
    Well, that bites. I'd still threaten them with a camera/security system. Then you could prove they had been in the house. If my neighbor can set up a camera, they must not be very expensive

Don't back down! It sounds like these people will roll over you if you don't stand up to them. How anyone could stand by and let them argue that someone's patio or fenced-in yard is a common area is beyond me. Sounds to me like they're power hungry and clearly out-of-control. I'll bet that the more you stand up to them, they more people will be standing with you. Go get 'em!
    cablejockey likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I am going to be getting new next door neighbors soon and I hope they are good ones!

I recently got new neighbors across the street and one house over, so they are diagonal from us. My directly across the street neighbor made a comment that she thought they might be "fighters" because she heard them arguing while they were moving in. I figured move-in time is generally stressful and blew it off. Then a couple of weeks ago I heard some outside noise while I was in the house with everything closed up - it was around 10:30 at night during the week. I went into my bedroom where I already had a window open to check out what was going on. The guy was outside in the driveway YELLING at the wife, who I am guessing must have been in the garage since the overhead door was open. I only heard bits of his side of the conversation. It sounded like he was berating her, it was stuff like "You should just listen to me, this wouldn't have happened if you would just listen" and on and on. Eventually he got in his car and drove off. I hope they don't make a habit of this...

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post

I would seriously check on the legality of this. I also live in a condo, and we have the fire something or other for our whole building (3 units) in our basement. We weren't required to give our key. If there is an emergency, it wouldn't be the association president coming in, it would be the fire department, and they ain't waiting for a key! Like most bylaws, I would assume everything inside the four walls of your condo is considered private property. As such, they have no reason to come in, even to confirm building plans and permits. Who's to say you aren't going to tear things down before you move? I would seriously check into this - if they are really worried about emergencies, try to come up with an alternative that still works but takes the keys out of the president's hand - like maybe giving it to a trusted neighbor. There's no guarantee they will be there anymore than the president. I would also ask the president who has his/her key - since it should be the same rules for everyone.

If that doesn't work, I agree on the camera. All you need is them on camera one time - and evidence that there wasn't an emergency, to really go after, both criminally and in their positions as president and secretary. I agree with Critical - reading your story really got me ticked off!
    cablejockey and Critical like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I am going to be getting new next door neighbors soon and I hope they are good ones! I recently got new neighbors across the street and one house over, so they are diagonal from us. My directly across the street neighbor made a comment that she thought they might be "fighters" because she heard them arguing while they were moving in. I figured move-in time is generally stressful and blew it off. Then a couple of weeks ago I heard some outside noise while I was in the house with everything closed up - it was around 10:30 at night during the week. I went into my bedroom where I already had a window open to check out what was going on. The guy was outside in the driveway YELLING at the wife, who I am guessing must have been in the garage since the overhead door was open. I only heard bits of his side of the conversation. It sounded like he was berating her, it was stuff like "You should just listen to me, this wouldn't have happened if you would just listen" and on and on. Eventually he got in his car and drove off. I hope they don't make a habit of this...
    I've had neighbors who were fighters... once a fighter always a fighter: people don't change. The tenant who lived in the apartment below mine called her sister late at night, and yelled at her for about two hours... and she did this on a daily basis. When I lived in the place with the dentist neighbor, the next door neighbors were constantly arguing. Once one of them threw their wedding album in the backyard... not their backyard, but the backyard of the place that I was renting. Later on they retrieved their wedding album.

Yep, I had neighbors who were fighters too. Unfortunately, it was an apartment complex and the common wall that we shared included the master bedroom, the kitchen and the dining room. :drop They also had a brat of a kid whose idea of fun was to bounce his ball against the kitchen wall incessantly. We eventually got a new property manager who laid down the law and gave them the boot. I think the entire building cheered when they left!

I had a neighbor in college who was a full-blown alcoholic who, I think, also abused her kids. The management kept trying to get some kind of proof of abuse so they could evict her. They called CPS on her more than once. One afternoon, she went out to get the mail or something and her angelic-looking 4 year old locked her out of the apartment. I sat and listened as she yelled and threatened that little girl to open the door - "&#@*#, Olivia, when you open this door, I'm going to beat the %$@# out of you!" I kept saying to myself "Don't unlock the door, Olivia." They finally got something on her and were able to kick her out. I prayed for those kids that CPS removed them from the home and placed them in a safe Foster home.

FORT Fogey

I had a neighbor who, according to the apartment manager, was a drug addict. The tenant also had diabetes. It was a common sight to see the paramedics in the driveway giving the tenant a blood sugar test. The apartment manager told me that the tenant ate the wrong kind of food for her condition. The tenant's teenage son didn't live with her. I met him once and he seemed like a good kid. Her daughter lived with her. The tenant had one of her feet amputated because of diabetic complications. The apartment manager told me that the tenant then moved into a nursing home. The tenant was in her thirties at the time. The tenant's daughter was about 6 at the time. I don't think the tenant's daughter's father was in the picture. I don't know who the daughter ended up living with. Also, I was reading some of the first few pages in this thread, and read about an eight-year-old boy who tried putting nails in a car's tires. I had that done to my car's tires soon after the dentist moved into the building I had been living in. There was something very off about him. I'm pretty sure he was the one who put nails in my car's tires.

+ Reply to Thread