+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

My neighbors are fine, and at least a mile away from me!

We don't even have a problem with kids road-tripping past our place much anymore since our closest neighbor was elected Sheriff of our county. I guess I won't be able to collect as many nickel beer cans laying in the road ditch this summer now though.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
    I feel kinda bad that people on this thread have such terrible neighbors. I live in the middle of nowhere, in a small community on a lake, that is mostly all retirees. Motorcycles are not allowed past the gate (no, it's not a snobby gated community, just gated) so it is quiet. No street lights. No boats on the lake after dark or before 8 AM. Just a bunch of senior citizens and me (and my cats). I work from home full-time and I do love it here. Plus, there is bingo every 3rd Thursday of the month and I won at least $50 the last 3 times I played!
    That sounds lovely My area is gated, and its not snobby. We have all kinds of trails behind us, and walk to the river, and everyone seems to have dogs, that meet and greet. I never hear any neighbours.The building is concrete and sound proof

My daughters neighbours wash their car( s) every day, play loud music, and sit on their steps with beer. Its a rental home
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

My daughters neighbours wash their car( s) every day, play loud music, and sit on their steps with beer. Its a rental home
    :/ Sounds familiar... going to one up you though. My old neighbours (we've since moved) used to go to the bars, and come home at midnight and with the bass pumping, wash their cars and go back out to party some more. I'm not sure why they had a car wash break at midnight... but they did. Ridiculous.

This same neighbour:
    Loud parties in the back yard. I would find cigarette butts and beer bottles in my yard the next day. I have great aim so I just tossed them back over the fence into their pool.
    Often those parties would include fireworks aimed into my small backyard into my tree. Annoying.
    They littered my front lawn with cigarette butts, never picked up their flyers (which ended up all over my property) and cranked the bass every chance they got. I had a newborn when they moved in and the bass drove me mental. When I went to speak with him, (babe in arms) he quite calmly told me about all his rights, and explained like, hello, bass is meant to travel, so get used to it.
    They left their small property a mess, and decided to grow grass once. They left the sprinkler on in the back yard for four days straight. I never had water in my basement until they did that... so I went over to explain to them that they were flooding my basement. I was told quite rudely that they were growing grass! I told them quite politely that I could fill my pool in two days, and did they know how much water that was? LOL. They didn't care. I just kept the sump pump going until they figured out that drowned seeds do nothing.

On the other side of me, I had a guy who had no idea of backyard etiquette. We would speak friendly in the front yards all the time, but he felt the same rules applied to backyards. I would step out in the morning to have a cig, (EARLY morning) and if he was out there he would immediately start yelling through the fence at me. There I am, standing in my housecoat, I just woke up, and he wants to yell out some story about work at me. Yeesh. The neighbour on the other side of the guy got so sick of it, he cranked HIS tunes every time he was in the backyard so he could pretend he didn't hear the guy yelling at him. Sad thing was, now I had to deal with that guys music too.
    I'll quit there, because I could write another half page about the people across the street.

My new place is in a better neighbourhood. I hope... pray for me.

I should add, that for some reason, I miss my old neighbourhood like mad. We lived there for years, and the neighbours were crazy... but I miss it. Not sure why.

Maybe I'll share some across the street stories sometime. Like the lady who sat out on her front porch with her two pot-bellied pigs for breakfast. And fed them bacon. Mind you, she saved the one pig from the frying pan... she was a real animal lover. Or the time the swat team showed up for the guy down the street. Or the time a guy decided the to have a bonfire in his 15 by 30 foot backyard. Firetrucks that time. Or the time a guy ripped down the street naked in the middle of the night to stop a robbery at the local corner store. I could write a friggin book.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 03-14-2012 at 07:38 PM.

My new place is in a better neighbourhood. I hope... pray for me. :p
    God that sounds awful!! My dds neighbours hate noise on Sundays, it must be there day of rest( eye roll) so dd's make sure the mower, the weed eater and anything else that make noise is on full tilt on Sundays
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm happy with my neighbors......now. The vast majority of them are senior citizens & most pretty much keep to themselves except for a polite hello & some small talk when we see each other outside. My next door neighbors, also retired, are nice & we always keep an eye on on each others' houses & pick up the mail when one of us is out of town.
    I think senior citizen neighbors are great. It's like neighborhood watch. They all know the comings/goings of the block.
    I have a rental next door. It's been an interesting revolving door of odd neighbors. Most I rarely had contact with, by my own choice. There's been some doozies. A decent couple there now with grown & gone kids. I hope they stay
    Another rental across the street. They were frightening. Everyone believes there was drugs involved. I was one of the few on the block who never got into a war with them. Eventually the water/power was shut off, the place was trashed & the Health Department & Social Services got involved & they were evicted by the Police. The place was sold, repaired & remodeled, and is rented to a quiet middle aged couple now. They keep to themselves & cause no trouble. I've never met them. They're no problem so I like them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

We had some new neighbors move in across the street this weekend. I haven't met/seen them yet, but I do have to laugh at myself for going into full stalker mode to try and catch a glimpse! We are fairly lucky with neighbors, only mild annoyances at the worst, so I have high hopes - or is that spelled "expectations" ?
    Wag more, bark less

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'd just like to say that I am pretty enraged right now.

As I've found out today, by the manager, that the neighbors I've brought up has called him and told him that if we bang on the wall to get them to shut up again they would call the police on us. Like, SERIOUSLY? Let me say that one night after causing a racket for a few hours we finally had enough and called the cops ourselves. Not much was done, clearly, but they did tell us that banging was okay if the neighbors were being a disturbance. After they left, it all started up again immediately. And it's too bad I can't understand what the hell is going on as they don't speak English. Afterwards they got a letter from whoever, and eventually it all started up again.

I dropped off another note to the manager last week complaining about the constant shouting, stomping, banging, slamming, etc. and he got it. Apparently he sent another note to some other manager or something, who probably doesn't care about anything that goes on here and probably won't do anything either. I say that because in the past they didn't do much either.

And like I said moving isn't really an option either, for us, at this time.

What are we supposed to do? It's not really that I'm worried about them calling the police if they do, but it's more angering than anything.

Help, advice, anything? Please. Thanks.

Someone, one street over has aquired two large dogs that bark at everything. They are driving me nuts. Plus, when my little doggy hears them, it sets him off. And he's not normally a barker.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm sorry about all the stress your neighbors are causing you JohnnyK, I don't really know what you could do besides becoming such a pain in the butt for them that they want to move. When they're up late arguing, I'd be up early vacuuming, taking a little extra care along the shared wall! Lol, just give them a taste of their own behavior and see how they like to deal with it. I wouldn't stop with contacting the rental manager either, sometimes it takes being a squeaky wheel to get a little oil! And if the manager you've been talking to can't do anything about it try and go over his head and talk to someone that can issue a formal warning. Or maybe try talking to other neighbors and see if you can approach the manager together or with letters from other tenants who have the same complaints you do, they can't ignore the whole the building in favor of one tenant.

We bought our first house last June and have been really fortunate with all our neighbors ...which kind of makes me wonder if we're that house now?! Lol! My boyfriend is in a band and we built a practise studio in our basement, we spent a lot of money replacing all the insulation in the walls (added insulated plugs for the windows), insulated the ceiling space, put in an exterior door on the room ...all in all it's pretty soundproof but you can still tell when they're practising. They're always done by 8:00pm tho so they don't go late and they definitely don't get up early to jam!

Our neighbors to the East bought at the same time as us and we've gotten to know them pretty well. We've both been doing a fair bit of renovating and have talked about replacing the fence between our houses this summer, so that'll be nice to split that cost with them! On our other side is a rental house, the person who lived there when we moved in seemed to avoid us at all costs ...and all forms of lawn care, but a nice family moved in just before Christmas and we've become kind of friends with them. They have 3 little boys, 5 months, 3 & 5 and they are such little sweethearts, my boyfriend has been giving the older 2 informal guitar and drum lesson so I assume they don't have an issues with having a band next door.

We shovel our walk every time it snows (one house a few doors down shovels their walkway but not the sidewalk in front of their house, how rude is that??), we put a lot of time into keeping our yard looking nice, if not the greenest lawn on the block, top 3 for sure, we don't park in front of other people's houses, don't leave our dog in the yard all day to bark up a storm and we don't have parties. I hope that our rock/punk/metal/country jams from 6-8 three times a week aren't that much of a nuisance for them since I feel like we're great neighbors in every other regard!

JohnnyK, what does your rental agreement say? Whatever your family signed, they must have signed too. If you were warned that you'd get booted if you raised cane, then they were warned that they would, too, so therefore, the leasing company should boot them! What worries me is that they are disrespectful people and you never know how disrespectful people are going to react. Don't get yourself into a pickle. Don't push their buttons. Let management take care of this. Maybe you need to provide them with a taped recording of how loud they actually get and for how long it goes on for. Are any of the other tenants near them frustrated? I agree with M_shelll that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and I also believe there is power in numbers. Just please don't do anything to egg them on. It may take a little while, but eventually, management will have to step up.

+ Reply to Thread