+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I'm really just a big chicken I hate confrontation and I'm afraid that this would end nasty. I do plan on talking to the property manager about it, but he's been in the hospital lately and I don't think this is something he needs to deal with.

As for the hose issue, it's more annoying than anything else. I do like this neighbor, she's just kind of clueless. I still have to shake my head about her just hooking her hose up to my house. This property is sort of like an old motor court rather than a regular suburban street, but I have to wonder if she'd do the same thing in any situation.

I guess I just don't know what to do in these situations because I'm so bewildered that people behave this way.

All of the little issues aside, I do love where I live. The pros FAR outweigh the cons. The last place I lived was a huge gated community and the last downstairs neighbors I had would throw big parties, complete with a puke bucket on their front porch. Anything would be an improvement after that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Well, using your water is theft of services. We pay for our water here and I would be livid if my neighbor pulled a stunt like that, even if I liked him/her.

If I paid for my water, that would be an issue, but I don't. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

You know, it's really easy to turn off your outside water with one turn of the spigot.
    I like the window paper/film idea!!!! I actually found a very cool roll of patterned rice paper in a back corner of my supply cabinet that is way too cool to let the students use. I may play with that. I was thinking that if hurricane Irene blew out my bay window, I'd replace it with those glass blocks that let light in, but you can't see through. Sounds like I have a few options.
    Count your blessings!

I found the window film at Home Depot and it has the benefit of being customizable because you can cut it to any size. Plus, it peels right off if you don't want it any more. My bedroom window is just so huge that it would have been nearly $100 and that's not an easy fix. If I was spending that much, I probably would have opted for a lattice with some trailing plants on it.

Thanks! I'll take a look. My bay window is pretty large, too - four panes from ceiling to hip. I'll have to measure. I wonder if there are shower curtains that might have the same effect?
    Count your blessings!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

A cheaper fix for large windows is Tissue Paper. It will let light in but you can't see in.
    Also there is a tracing paper called Bumwad or Trash. I use for sketching and overlays. It comes in different length rolls.
    I've used both of those until I was able to install blinds.

Thank you! I've kind of gotten used to sitting here in the dark. My daughter complained when she was home, so it's time to do something about it before I turn into Gollum!
    Count your blessings!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I remember posting here a while ago. And unfortunately, situation remains the same. Same people, same yelling, same everything. Calls have been made, mails sent out and nobody does anything. And at this time moving isn't really working either. Been more stressful lately.

I feel kinda bad that people on this thread have such terrible neighbors. I live in the middle of nowhere, in a small community on a lake, that is mostly all retirees. Motorcycles are not allowed past the gate (no, it's not a snobby gated community, just gated) so it is quiet. No street lights. No boats on the lake after dark or before 8 AM. Just a bunch of senior citizens and me (and my cats). I work from home full-time and I do love it here. Plus, there is bingo every 3rd Thursday of the month and I won at least $50 the last 3 times I played!

+ Reply to Thread