+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 96 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I have lovely neighbors and really feel lucky for that.

My neighbors on one side have grown children and are both retired. They are just a lovely couple and they remind me of my parents. The husband has a line of fruit trees right on our border. This year he has a plum tree with amazingly large, plump fruit and he and I have had many conversations on how unexpected they were. We had some weird weather fluctuations and apparently it was just perfect for these plums, but he got nothing from the apricots this year. He prunes all his trees at the right time and really cares for them, so he is really proud of how well they turned out. There aren't bushels of plums, but the ones he's got are gorgeous.

The other day, I saw a family of four walking their dog and they stopped and helped themselves to the plums. Because it's on the border of our properties, I saw them do it from my living room but I don't think it's visible to his house unless he was outside or in the garage. The father took like a shirt full and gave them to his wife and kids, and they all stopped in front of my house, sat on the swing that hangs from our tree, and ate the plums, tossing the pits on my lawn. I was home alone with my youngest and really didn't want to confront them because the husband especially looked a little "tough". But it did occur to me that besides being horrible behavior, by throwing all their pits on my lawn it might look like I took them! Jerks.

They had to walk off the sidewalk and go up to about 6 feet from my porch to reach these plums. Don't you think people should know better? It makes me sick to think of how hard he has worked for this fruit only to have some yokels help themselves.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Like someone else suggested, I'd look into the noise ordinances in your town, Cootie. Maybe even printing them out and mailing them to your neighbor would do something. I did that (anonymously) with a neighbor who had a broken sprinkler during a drought year and the water was shooting out into the street for hours every day. They fixed it without me having to call in the city.

My neighbors are pretty okay right now with the slight exception of my next door neighbor who has just gotten his midlife crisis-cycle (aka bigass motorcycle) out of storage for the summer. He likes to rev the engine really loud and ride it around our little lane and it scares the crap out of my cats....and annoys the hell out of me. Another neighbor has a motorcycle and he's really considerate about it - he pretty much coasts in from the street and doesn't rev the engine when he leaves every day.

Every time my neighbor roars around out there I'm sure he's waiting for someone to say "Yes, your motorcycle is very large. You are extremely young and virile."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Hepcat -- your story was almost unbelievable. These folks you describe are really the bottom of the barrel of society.

Critical -- motorcycles are one of the male mid-life crisis purchases. When I was writing insurance, you cannot believe how many forty-ish men came in with their bill of sale to insure their new cycle. For most of them it lasts around five years and then we would get a letter requesting cancellation of the policy, as they had sold the bike. My son has been riding motorcycles for a number of years, but he doesn't meet the usual biker profile. He is now 43 and rides a 1300cc Honda. I suspect this love affair (this is his second bike) will peter out by the time he turns 50.....or at least I hope so. It is a symbol of male virility, or so they would like to think.

Hep - looks like we posted at the same time, so I missed your post! It's times like that when it would be nice to be able to turn the sprinklers on someone! What horrid people. I don't know that, if I was in your situation, I would have gone outside and confronted them either, but I would be furious too. It's one of those instances where you'd love to call the police - those creeps were stealing and trespassing - but you know they wouldn't come.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I would have gone outside over to the neighbors or called them and both gone outside.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Hep - that is appalling. Do people not realize that this is stealing!? They probably wouldn't have walked up and taken any property he left sitting on his driveway. Just because the fruit is a part of nature doesn't make it any less his property!!!

At a house where we used to live, we had a decent sized raspberry patch waaaaay at the back of a deep lot, that was unfenced. (You can probably see where this is going.) The public pool was one street over and down half a block and we'd have a fair number of people cutting through. That I didn't mind, because that's just the way it is in this small town. I did mind them helping themselves to my raspberries as they passed through though!!!!!! I never did anything though until one day I saw several kids with buckets, harvesting my raspberries!!! I knew if I yelled from the house, they'd have a huge head start on me, so I snuck out as far as I could go and then hollered. They took off running and I never saw anyone with containers again. I always wondered what they told their parents when they came home with buckets of raspberries.

At this house, we have a fenced in yard so I just do battle with the birds and animals over the raspberries!!!

Our neighbors are fairly quiet for the most part. Our biggest problem is the boat owner who parks his pontoon party boat in the street between taking it out of storage and putting it in the water for the summer. Our city ordinances allow vehicles to be parked for 48 hours, so we reported him, but he just played games, moving it just enough, for ELEVEN DAYS!!! It created a huge blindspot for us backing out of our driveway.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Veejer, that sounds like my parents' douche bag neighbor. He's parked his stupid boat in the driveway for as long as I can remember and it totally obscures the view out our front window. The guy doesn't even live there - he lives in a much nicer house, but claims the empty house as his primary residence. He's let the yard go brown and now it's just dirt. Because the neighbor kids were swimming in the pool, he drained it. We all howled when the kids grabbed a hose and filled the pool back up!

Anyway, it's very obvious that the house is empty, so it's been broken into at least once. He came to ask my parents if they saw anything and my mother said, very sweetly, "You know, when I look out the window, all I see is that big boat." Years ago, our tomcat used the boat as his lair. There was a rip in the boat cover, so he made himself at home - he even sprayed all over it. Man, I miss that cat!
    maude~flanders likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Anyway, it's very obvious that the house is empty, so it's been broken into at least once. He came to ask my parents if they saw anything and my mother said, very sweetly, "You know, when I look out the window, all I see is that big boat." Years ago, our tomcat used the boat as his lair. There was a rip in the boat cover, so he made himself at home - he even sprayed all over it. Man, I miss that cat!
    What a great story!

I live in an urban area and my neighbors are really nice for the most part. My next door neighbor is a mom with 2 grown sons. I call them the "good" one and the "bad" one. She's always raving about the "good" son who works downtown for a bank. She never mentions the "bad" one who only works on keeping the front porch lawn furniture from flying away by parking his butt on it all day long.

FORT Fogey

Wow...after reading all these stories, maybe it is not so bad living in a community covered by a huge HOA (we are almost 100,000 homes here in Columbia, MD) where you sign covenants and they are enforced. In the 40+ years that this community has been in existence, we've had no boats on private property (against the covenants) etc. HOA gives us access to a boat storage lot for a fee. They enforce violations to the covenants and the owners have to correct the violations at their own expense. Trash cans have to be kept out of sight, lawns have to be kept in reasonable condition, etc. We have been in our house almost 34 years and living in a nice community has been a most pleasant experience.

+ Reply to Thread