+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 96 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

FORT Fogey

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4076017;
    Good fences make good neighbors. Is that a viable solution? You can enjoy your yard without having to look at theirs, keep the bike off the lawn, and maybe give them a hint.

Morning, Gut. Our planned community has very strict rules about fences. The original concept was to keep the community looking "open." Split rail with mesh is allowed on property lines, but board-on-board is strictly regulated. We do have a privacy panel about 16-18 feet long so we can't see the mess from the patio and most of the deck. I did speak to the young child yesterday and asked him not to ride across the lawn. Rather deal with him directly than ask his mother, who will make his life he**.

Thanks for your input. See you later.

Well, then I would go to the community enforcers and ask why they aren't enforcing the rules. I know you don't want to be the squealer, but it's not fair!
    Count your blessings!

[QUOTE=Columbia, MD;4076282;]Morning, Gut. Our planned community has very strict rules about fences. The original concept was to keep the community looking "open." Split rail with mesh is allowed on property lines, but board-on-board is strictly regulated. We do have a privacy panel about 16-18 feet long so we can't see the mess from the patio and most of the deck. I did speak to the young child yesterday and asked him not to ride across the lawn. Rather deal with him directly than ask his mother, who will make his life he**.

Columbia,

Why not enlist the neighbors' help in trying to beautify your neighborhood / make it the best it can be?
    Perhaps, tell them about an HGTV show you might have seen where the neighbors got together and all worked to make the neighborhood more beautiful and more valuable.
    That way, it's not like you're attacking them personally - you're just trying to enlist their aid to make everyone's home look better.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4075677;

We have covenants in this town which state you must keep your lawn mowed and your property neat. I cannot complain to the Resident Architectural Committee since both neighbors would know who complained.

Anybody got some workable ideas? Thanks.
    Columbia, I've had to report neighbors before and I made sure that what I was complaining about could be seen from the public sidewalk. Then I took a walk around the block, and after blocking my caller-id, called the zoning commission. I phrased it something like, "I was walking through our neighborhood and saw ......" I was allowed to be anonymous.

Our neighbor is doing his annual "park the boat in front of the neighbor's house while getting it ready for storage". Granted, there is no parking on his side of the street, but still it is annoying. At least this year he didn't park it too close to our driveway. I marked the date it arrived on the calendar and if it goes over a week, I'm calling the zoning commission.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Far enough down the road that I hardly ever see them!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;4080027;
    Far enough down the road that I hardly ever see them!

Perhaps that is a blessing in disguise!!

We have new neighbors, a couple in their twenties with a baby. The man has been blasting heavy metal rock out of his garage all day. I am very lucky to have insulated windows so that I only hear it when I go outside. My neighborhood is full of very odd neighbors, but in the 21 years that I have lived here, none have been noisy. It will be interesting to see if any of my other neighbors snap over the noise. They are an improvement over the guy who was awaiting trial for kidnapping and robbery who eventually went to prison (he was dealing drugs out of that garage while waiting for his trial). But it sure makes my lovely summer take on a whole different feeling.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That's horrible, Cootie. Does your town have any type of noise ordinances? If so, perhaps a friendly chat to keep it down would be in order with the neighbor and if not, then a phone call to whichever authority about the noise level.

I have awful neighbors. I live on a corner. My neighbor with whom I share the property border will park her car in the driveway face out so that when she exits her car she does not have to say hello to us. She will walk right past without even a wave. We've done nothing to deserve such behavior. The family that lives directly behind us but is on the side street as our garage is on the side of the house drives a motorcycle with no muffler. The noise from his bike plus his music that he blasts is unbearable. He has 3 dogs and his home has a doggie door. The dogs go in and out all day and night long. In the summer I cannot leave my bedroom windows open b/c in the middle of the night his dogs will bark, wake up my own dog and she will run to the window and have a howling fest right along with them. They don't ever walk their dogs nor do they clean up the dog poop. You can imagine the smell. At one time they must have had at least 100 black garbage bags strewn in the front and side of the house. Too lazy to put a few bags of trash out each time for the sanitation men. They have no grass to speak of and don't bag their leaves in the fall. The place is a dump. I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    We have new neighbors, a couple in their twenties with a baby. The man has been blasting heavy metal rock out of his garage all day. I am very lucky to have insulated windows so that I only hear it when I go outside. But it sure makes my lovely summer take on a whole different feeling.
    I feel so badly for you. We finally had to move. Our neighbor's teen took up the drums and started a band (who couldn't play music but could play quite loudly). We bought new insulated windows, we talked nicely, we talked not so nicely and nothing changed. We were lucky we could afford to move at that time and we're much happier here so you def. have my sympathies.

The good news is that he finally turned off his music on his own in the evening. My windows are fantastic in that they keep the sound out and in the summer my house stays cooler when we have the windows closed in the day and open at night, so it worked out this time. But I don't want to see my other neighbors go ballistic. Some of them could.

+ Reply to Thread