+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Pom, I'm a complete mess after reading that post. I'll keep your neighbor in my prayers. He's lucky to have a good friend like you!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Oh Pom.
    What an endearingly wonderful and sad story at the same time. Sad you met because your little Powder got bit, wonderful because your neighbor realized the error and helped you with the vet bills. Wonderful that you and he became great friends, above all, over the years and that you saw his love for his Delilah. Sad because our beloved pets do get old and sick and it breaks our hearts to do what needs to be done. Wonderful because he was able to confide in you what he was going through. Sad that he went through with it though. Wonderful that you are so supportive of our neighbor. Sad that he is suffering alone, without another pet or significant other.

I know he will get through it, as we all do, but hope that karma brings him some joy in the form of another beloved pet and/or partner in the future.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Pom - It, as you know, is one of the hardest things we caretakers need to do - let go and not be selfish. I feel for your neighbor. We do not like to see our kids suffer and you & your neighbor will be in my thoughts.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I’m so sad for the guy, and over the next few weeks I’ll share my German Shepherd (and Pomeranian) rescue information with him, ‘cause I have a bunch of it in my files. I do believe he’ll reach a point where he can open up his heart again.
    That's a great idea Pom. Sometimes the best thing for a person is to get another dog right away. When I lost my little 17 year old Brandy it took me awhile before I was ready, but with the sudden death of both of our Golden Retrievers it was the right thing for us to get another dog soon after. Marley didn't replace Luke, and Katie didn't replace Marley, but both times getting a new dog at least filled that huge hole in our hearts. It might not be the right time for your friend, but the information will be there for him when he is ready. He is lucky that your paths crossed and I'm sure he knows that you are a special friend.

I love my neighbors, they're great. And we have such a wide variety of experiences, it's amazing.

I used to baby sit my one neighbors kids for free as she went to night school to change careers. She is an older woman, had her child in her 40's - and he's a piano prodigy. She told me about her life in China, how her parents had worked for one governemnt, and were then taken away when the governments changed as enemies of China. she and her brother ended up in the schools being taught that there parents would try to kill them, so not to talk to them or beleive them if the came back. It was scary stuff to think of REALLY happening, although I hear about it all the time.

Another neighbor used to be a 'party' waitress in the golden days of NYC, and tells me stories of jack Kerouac, Isamu Noguchi and others. She has been a huge supporter of my animal work, and loved my old kitty so much.

I am really blessed with my neighbors, these are just two of the many I talk to everyday. When my cat had cancer, I'd come home to find 20 dollar bills slipped under my door. They came to her 'end of life' party, wrote up cards, everything. I don't know how I would have survived in Manhattan had I not had the good fortune to live where I do. I know EVERYONE on my floor, and we often exhange cookies, meals, etc.

My kids at preschool so I had time to nose around FORT. Cool thread.

I have the best neighbors. OK, the ones to either side of me are kinda snobs and keep to themselves, but the rest?

Across the street is an ex-professional chef with an extensive wine collection. We get invited to dinner a lot. She has two kids who love to play with my son.

We have two other neighbors who also have kids, are nice and good cooks.

Some weekdays around 4 p.m., the kids come out to play and the moms watch them while drinking a glass of wine. My neighbor across the street often offers me a glass if I come out empty handed.

And behind us we have an NBA basketball player (he's injured and at home now). Funny to see him mowing his lawn and cleaning out his garbage can while wearing flipflops and shorts. He's building a REALLY big house now, so he'll be moving sometime, he's quiet and seems to be nice.

MRD
    We are really blessed with a great couple (we only have one neighbor and vacant lots behind, beside and across from us) next to us. They are young (20's. We are 40's). They have a dog and they love our dog, so they have helped us out with our dogs when I was in the hospital. They have also volunteered to keep our daughter for us. They usually always offer my husband a beer (I don't drink) if we are out in the yard and she has baked cookies for us when we moved in and at Christmas. And they invite us to their parties, even tho we are eons older than them and their friends.
    It's so nice to have friendly neighbors because for years, we had horrible, grouchy, unfriendly ones.

The only problem is the guy neighbors mom. She is an Eeyore. Everything is horrible in her world. She has been living with them and at first I tried really hard to make friends with her, but after listening to her list of complaints and how horrible her life is, I wanted to take a gun to my own head. It got so bad, I avoided taking my own dogs out because I didn't want to run into her. She has since moved out, but is now back to visit and I've had a good excuse not to get out because of my surgery so I haven't seen her. Because I had surgery, she will no doubt go into all her health problems AGAIN as that is her main topic of conversation.

I wish we had more neighbors on our street, but the way building is going here, it probably won't be long before we do. They've already built 4 houses in a year at the other end of the street. I kind of like the seclusion as the lots are wooded and we don't see anyone else but them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Leo
    Premium Member
    The singing drunkards that hang out in front of us have taken it up another notch: in the spirit of Holy Week, they're now butchering religious songs. And I swear, they still sound drunk.

MRD
    I know its not amusing for you, but I had to laugh. The singing drunkards sound like a band!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

my neighbour on the left was my math teacher in high school. she always used to have "gatherings" where the other teachers would come over. horror i tell you.

+ Reply to Thread