+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

queenb, that's great! We've only been in our house since April, and my neighbours on one side are kind of stand-offish but polite, and that's okay. They have 4 kids, and while I see the kids playing outside I never see the mom. It's kind of weird actually. The guy on the other side is great! I couldn't understand why dog cookies kept ending up on my patio and then I saw him one day trying to make friends with my Mastiff. She's a little skittish of people coming near our fence, (and men in general...never women) but they are fast friends now. It was funny actually. She would take the cookie, let him pat her, and then bark at him. He's retired but always has friends/family dropping by. They are outside a lot, but very considerate and noise has never been a problem. He is the type of guy who when he saw me hauling bark mulch offered to lend us his little trailer to make it easier, and when he saw my husband coming back with my son from doing some fishing said, "Heck, I have a boat down at the Marina I never use. Just say the word." So far, it is a very friendly street, and we are enjoying it. Now, if I could only find the motivation to finish unpacking the downstairs....

now I'm smilingmomof4!!!! smilingmomof3's Avatar

Our neighbors are the best! We have street parties and sometimes come outside just to chat with each other. One of my neighbors works for the fire dept. - he rescued my cat from a neighborhood dog without a thought for his own safety - he is our superhero! Here in the USA there are still many good souls who care about others and make the effort.
    ***"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" - Nietzsche *** "A woman who strives to be equal to a man is lacking in ambition"***

It's always nice to have neighbors you get along with. Part of the problem here is if you let someone into your life and are friendly, they are suddenly always there and feel upset if you spend time with just your family. Very needy people.
    Yup, with donuts!!

New neighbors moved in across the street from us. Our driveways are directly opposite each other. They have 4 cars. We're not sure if 2 couples moved in or if 2 girls moved in and their 2 boyfriends are always there. Anway, the park 2 of their cars in their drive way and 1 in front of their house and the other in front of ours. Our HOA rules state that cars should not be parked overnight in the street but in driveways. There is plenty of room for 4 cars in the driveways, many of our other neighbors do this. We just don't like that it makes for backing out of our driveway a hazard. M drives an F350 and it doesn't turn on a dime. He practically has to back into their driveway to make the turn in the street. We contacted the HOA property manager and although it's a rule - I looked it up - they can't enforce it because it's a public street. What's the point of having the rule in the first place? Next, she said, take pictures and she'd send them a letter. Well, first off, I dont' want to be "caught" taking pictures and if I take them from my window, they will know it's us from the point of view. Why doesn't she do her job and go to the property to investigate! Next, what's the point, if it is not enforceable, why send them the letter? If they dont' comply, nothing happens. I just hope the boys that play football on our street in the fall in front of our house, do so in the fall, and break their car windows. oops, did I really type that? OK - just venting here.

A friend told me to politely ask them to park in their driveway so our visitors could have a place to park. I am just not good with confrontation and feel like I will subconsciously show that it bothers me and they will get defensive, etc.

Oh well, Thanks for listening!

I hear you PGM35. We have had issues with parking and although it's a public street, the only thing we can do is ask nicely that spaces are left in front for tenants. It never really works though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

PGM35 - you would think they would get the hint after watching your husband trying to turn the truck around. Some people are so clueless. Ok, this one will gross you out. My next door neighbor has this HUGE dog, I don't know the breed but HUGE!!! Well, the wife decided they wanted another HUGE dog, so they got a puppy, same breed. This breed is so HUGE, that the puppy was about 60lbs at 3 months old! The wife would take the puppy out to the front lawn and let him do his business before she went to work. She left piles and piles of dog s*** on her front lawn! We have hedges that separate our yards but ewwww, the flies, the smell! The thing that gets me is that they have to walk by these piles to access their front door. It's like they don't notice it. I really don't know what makes them think this is ok. Well, I too don't like confrontation, so I decided to write a note. When I was about to put it in their mailbox, she drives up!! Anyway, I asked her politely to pick up the dog poop because flies were coming over to our side. She got so made at me, she left in a big huff and yelled at her husband to pick up the goods. She hasn't spoken to me since, but no more piles in her front yard, only in her backyard, which doesn't affect me. Oh, get this..I forgot to mention, they keep one of those minature looking metal garbage cans near their front door in which they keep the dog poop! Just ewww...

MRD

PGM we have had that problem with our neighbors. We had to ask them to move their cars several times (and woke them up at 6 in the morning to do it because hubby could NOT get out of our driveway to go to work), but they kept parking there and I finally called the police non-emergency line and they came out, knocked on the door and politely told the neighbors that they can't park there and tickets would be issued next time. It stopped the parking on the street.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PGM - Do the neighbors on either side of you or on either side of the "parkers" have the same problem? If so, maybe you could get together and send them a letter or note from all of you. Also, I don't know how wide the street is, but parking on it could really be dangerous if a fire truck or emergency vehicle needed to get through and couldn't.

Our next door neighbor's son is in college and he does park his car in front of our house on the weekends/breaks when he is home. But, he came over and asked us if he could do it and he doesn't block our driveway (or anyone else's). Good luck.

Luvsginger: EWW! I'm glad you said something to that woman. That is nasty. We have two little dogs and the backyard gets poop/scooped at least twice a week. And we don't keep it around in a decorative trash can either! We did have a neighbor whose dog ate about ten plastic bats that we'd hung in the front yard for Halloween. He then "gave" them back to us all over the front yard. I "gave" the neighbor a call and she made her kids come and clean it up.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I don't think other neighbors are affected solely based on where they are parking. Directly in front of their and our houses. It is a hazard for emergency and police vehicles. Only 1 car can get through and barely b/c of the location of the cars - directly opposite each other, no wiggle room whatsoever. I think I will write them a note and copy the section of the HOA as they may not even know the rule. It wouldn't be a problem to park in the driveway especially since these cars don't move during the day or night! They need to be in the garage but since they just moved in, I imagine it is filled with boxes. Thanks for the responses.

mrd - I am worried that the police will do nothing b/c although it is a hazard to back out, it's not impossible, just very annoying. I remember your posting about your neighbors and their blocking your driveway, since that is not exactly the case, I hesitate to contact the police.

PGM: That is a sticky situation to be in. It's hazardous, but not exactly illegal. And you don't want anyone to get mad at you. But then again, the people parking aren't exactly being considerate to their other neighbors. I have no idea what would be your best course of action.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread