+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Thanks everybody! The reminder of what's best for our little guy kept me "strong" last night when she wanted to talk when I got home from work. Told her that I wasn't turning my back on her but that I didn't feel that the relationship she was in was a good example for my son and that I didn't want him caught in any cross fire between the two of them now that it's escalated to the point where kitchens are being demolished. I don't want him getting hit or worse because the man lost control while drunk. She was sad but understood where I was coming from and that once she has permanently removed him from her house that we can be "friends" again. My son is sad about it and doesn't understand why he can't go visit her anymore but with dad coming home from deployment in 2 weeks (YAY!) I think he will get over that real quick! LOL

By the way? He was sitting outside her house smoking this morning and waved good morning to us like nothing happened. She didn't even last 2 days before taking him back

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3018333;
    By the way? He was sitting outside her house smoking this morning and waved good morning to us like nothing happened. She didn't even last 2 days before taking him back
    And until she wakes up, this will be repeated over & over.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Harmony,

I know it was hard for you to do. But you did what was best for you and your family. We all want to help others. But seeing that she took him back in less than 24 hours, you just can't help until she opens her own eyes.

Best of luck to all of you. I hope she will rid herself of this leech soon and you can go back to being friends.

And I'm so happy your husband will be back soon. You're son will get to see his daddy and his daddy will be a very positive influence on him.

I used to joke that if you can't be a good example, you might as well serve as a horrible warning. Well, in this case it isn't a joke. Your husband is the good example for your son and this other man is the horrible warning.
    I have a brother that has some mental issues and also is hooked on drugs. My daughter was very young, about your son's age when my brother drifted back in our lives. She loved her uncle, but we also had to tell her that some of the things he did were not so good. It was hard to explain it and we didn't go into a LOT of detail until she was older, but she did get the lesson about how some people are good and others are not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Harmony - Good for you, putting the welfare of yourself and your son first. It's so easy to get sucked into those co-dependent relationships out of sympathy, and so difficult to get out of them.

MRD

My idiot neighbor with the dirt bike was roaring up and down the cul-de-sac at midnight last night. It's bad enough when he does it during the day, b ut at midnight? It had all the neighbors up as we've all talked about it today. My husband went out and told him to knock it off we have to go to work. The guys reply? "I'm just riding it to the corner and back". My husband said: "yeah and that's right in front of MY house". He also said he had been drinking.
    So now the neighborhood consensus is we will all call the police the MINUTE we hear it fired up. It has no license tag on it. He's apparantly drinking while running this thing up and down and it's loud as all get out. When it drowns out our tv and we have the windows shut and the air on, you know it's loud.
    The other neighbors have small children and are concerned about them when he does it during the day, but everyone's po'd that he was doing it on a school/work night at midnight. Idiot!
    Hubby said he's going to put roofing nails out in front of our house and then after the guy gets a flat, he'll go pick up the rest.
    I thought more along the lines of running a cable across the road and pulling it taunt just before he rides into it. I know, mean, but it's irresponsible, dangerous and irritating. If he wanted to ride his dirt bike, he should have rented out in the country, or better yet, loaded it up in his pickup and taken it to the many places he can ride it.
    And we thought the house with the 5 college students that just moved in 2 months ago was going to be trouble. They're quiet as church mice. This guy is just another self-entitled schmuck.

You guys don't have a noise ordinance? I live out in the country but my county has a 9pm and no loud noise (its awesome living close to rich people, they get all the cool laws haha and we get the benefit of them without the overly priced houses) anyways, the sheriff will show up at the first call and he sees any evidence of noise disturbance? They get a citation.

I'd be careful with the suggestions you posted, I know they were jokes but still those are felonies while what he is doing is a nuisance at best (unless you can prove the drinking and driving) and if he gets hurt because of the nails? Somebody like that will sue the pants of you guys.

Keep calling the cops, every single person call them every single time he fires it up. You'll become such a pest that the police will do something to shut you guys up. Squeakiest wheel getting oiled first and all that.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3019372;
    You guys don't have a noise ordinance? I live out in the country but my county has a 9pm and no loud noise (its awesome living close to rich people, they get all the cool laws haha and we get the benefit of them without the overly priced houses) anyways, the sheriff will show up at the first call and he sees any evidence of noise disturbance? They get a citation.

I'd be careful with the suggestions you posted, I know they were jokes but still those are felonies while what he is doing is a nuisance at best (unless you can prove the drinking and driving) and if he gets hurt because of the nails? Somebody like that will sue the pants of you guys.

Keep calling the cops, every single person call them every single time he fires it up. You'll become such a pest that the police will do something to shut you guys up. Squeakiest wheel getting oiled first and all that.
    No, we're just going to keep calling the police, I was joking about the nails and cable.

We do have a noise ordinance, but it hasn't stopped him yet until we start getting the police involved.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3019391;
    No, we're just going to keep calling the police, I was joking about the nails and cable.

We do have a noise ordinance, but it hasn't stopped him yet until we start getting the police involved.
    I think that's the key -- having all the neighbors call the police. Squeaky wheel and all. And having homemade chocolate chip cookies to offer the police when they show up to take the report? Well, it can't hurt!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3019427;
    I think that's the key -- having all the neighbors call the police. Squeaky wheel and all. And having homemade chocolate chip cookies to offer the police when they show up to take the report? Well, it can't hurt!
    Good idea Ellen!

My dad had a lot of problems during the last couple years of his life and the EMT's were at my parents house a LOT. We lived in a small town, so we also knew the EMT's that came out and my mom was always offering them cookies. They told me later that when a call came in from our house, that they would fight over who would take the call. Not only because of the cookies, but because they all thought my parents were a hoot and were always so grateful when they did have to come out and that they were by and far the favorites of the entire EMT force. Kind of a weird compliment considering the circumstances, but also very nice to hear from the EMT's.

So cookies do help. I should have remembered that!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3018333;
    Thanks everybody! The reminder of what's best for our little guy kept me "strong" last night when she wanted to talk when I got home from work. Told her that I wasn't turning my back on her but that I didn't feel that the relationship she was in was a good example for my son and that I didn't want him caught in any cross fire between the two of them now that it's escalated to the point where kitchens are being demolished. I don't want him getting hit or worse because the man lost control while drunk. She was sad but understood where I was coming from and that once she has permanently removed him from her house that we can be "friends" again. My son is sad about it and doesn't understand why he can't go visit her anymore but with dad coming home from deployment in 2 weeks (YAY!) I think he will get over that real quick! LOL

Uh, yeah, I've got the exact same situation but the lady lives in the apartment next to me (we share a back hall). My idiot just kicked her husband out as well but don't worry, he'll be back kicking her a$$ in a few days & my 3 yr. old will have to hear it & I will be phoning the cops & the landlord again.

Can anyone say "house hunting" ?

+ Reply to Thread