+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I have neighbors on 3 different sides of my house with dogs that bark incessantly. Then another house 1 over across the street with 2 dogs, and he has decided the leash law is not a concern, so these 2 large dogs are constantly running around the neighborhood, provoking other owners to let their dogs out as well. This in turn causes every dog in the neighborhood to constantly bark. It's usually a pack of dogs roaming and barking all day long, sometimes into the night. I cannot let my 15 year old out as he cannot defend himself and would hurt himself trying. He falls down the stairs when he sees them in the yard.

We called animal control, and they refuse to come unless someone is in "imminent" danger. We said we were, and they said someone might come out in the next day sometime. In other words, too bad for us. My other neighbor called the police one day while the pack were in our yard, and they came out and gave us a hard time for having called them, even harassing my husband for no reason (we didn't even call and the dogs were in our yard!). These dogs are scary, and some of the other neighbor's dogs are pit bulls. The owners are a**holes and just don't care no matter how many times people ask them (or threaten) to do something about it. We are tempted to run them over, since they are always on the road, but I know it is not the dogs fault and I could never do it.

I'm open to suggestions that don't involve hurting these dogs. I don't get how people in this world can be so irresponsible, rude and uncaring of their neighbors.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2956153;
    ...I'm open to suggestions that don't involve hurting these dogs. I don't get how people in this world can be so irresponsible, rude and uncaring of their neighbors.
    Muggle? Muggle? Is that you? I haven't seen you for so long! Where you been? I got an upgraded computer so I am planning on isketching again!!

With respect to your dogs, if animal control won't come over, there's not a lot you can do except continue to file complaints. I know that the dogs are probably the way they are because of their owners.

The only other thing is to contact the media; if they have one of those "consumer" type advocates who will help viewers with situations. Maybe they will look into your situation as more of a "neighborhood problem" and get some action going with animal control.

Good luck and stay safe!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2956153;
    We called animal control, and they refuse to come unless someone is in "imminent" danger. We said we were, and they said someone might come out in the next day sometime. In other words, too bad for us.
    That is crazy. If you have a pack of aggressive dogs roaming around, EVERYONE in your neighborhood is in imminent danger!! Pack mentality is a scary thing with dogs. I would keep filing complaints until they do something about it. The media idea is a good one too, that may force somebody into action!

Why do people insist on talking on the phone outside? I have two neighbors who are talking on the phone outside for everyone to hear!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2956637;
    Muggle? Muggle? Is that you? I haven't seen you for so long! Where you been? I got an upgraded computer so I am planning on isketching again!!

With respect to your dogs, if animal control won't come over, there's not a lot you can do except continue to file complaints. I know that the dogs are probably the way they are because of their owners.

The only other thing is to contact the media; if they have one of those "consumer" type advocates who will help viewers with situations. Maybe they will look into your situation as more of a "neighborhood problem" and get some action going with animal control.

Good luck and stay safe!!
    Hi Miss Kitty! Yes, it's me, just a little less frequent since starting a new job and being on the road 50% of the time (and working 80 hours a week). My TV watching has been reduced to a few series on DVR these days, and I haven't been on iSketch in about a year . I am officially a workaholic. Which is good news in relation to this thread, that I only have to endure these dogs and neighbors on the rare occasions I am actually home.

Unfortunately, the police and media do not feel there is ever a need for any action until after something tragic happens, which is why the passed the supposed leash law a few years ago: 9 Year Old Girl Mauled (this is about 2 miles from my house, and they removed the pictures of her face ripped off), then the law passed despite a less than encouraging attitude by residents.

Before this law, everyone just let their dogs roam free to my amazement. They were more rampant than the deer around here. Then everyone cleaned up their act after the law, but now everyone seems to have slowly forgotten this tragedy. It seems to me that if you own a pet, it's your responsibility to make sure it behaves and cannot escape your property without a leash. And if you let your dog outside, even confined, think about how the incessant barking (and howling) might annow your neighbors. All consideration seems to be completely gone, and I just have to deal with it. Thanks for reading my rant about my neighbors!
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2959022;
    It seems to me that if you own a pet, it's your responsibility to make sure it behaves and cannot escape your property without a leash. And if you let your dog outside, even confined, think about how the incessant barking (and howling) might annow your neighbors. All consideration seems to be completely gone, and I just have to deal with it. Thanks for reading my rant about my neighbors!
    Hear hear! If you don't want to pay any attention to your pet, why have one? My neighborhood is full of barking, howling, chained dogs that make so much noise there's no way I can leave my windows open on nice days, or even sleep with them closed if I don't have a box fan running.
    The next door neighbor also has a small dog tat lives in the house that comes up and barks at my heels when they let her out to P, if I'm outside. The worst thing about that one is looking at her, though--she has a prolapsed uterus that was un-doctored and is now healed into a big mass hanging on a cordlike piece of flesh--skeevy!

I think I'm considered the neighborhood crazy lady anyway. You know, the old bat with no children or kids, only comes out at night, etc. Last week I had gathered up a pile of old bank statements and not owning a shredder put them in a charcoal lighter and burnt them out on my (gravel) driveway. Soon as it went out, I got in my car and went and got a quart of milk for my next day coffee. (It was 2:30 AM) When I got home, 2 police cars pulled up behind me-- I was wondering what I did! Seems one of the neighbors had called in and said I had a big fire going in the driveway, then put it out and hurried away in my car.
    Today I planted tomatoes and came up one plant short for my holes, so I got more just now when I went to Wal Mart after groceries. I'm going to take the flashlight out there and plug it in the leftover hole in just a minute here. I wonder if the neighbor will be thinking that now I'm out there burying the rest of "him", you know, the part I couldn't get to burn up last week!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2957376;
    Why do people insist on talking on the phone outside? I have two neighbors who are talking on the phone outside for everyone to hear!
    When we first moved here we had a neighbor across the street who constantly took all her phone calls out on the porch and talked so loud you heard every conversation. I also HATE people who talk loudly on cell phones in public places. I really do NOT care about their business so save it till you get to the car.
    CYA

MRD

It's been a while since I posted about my horrible neighbors, but we've been having dog wars. She has a fenced yard that they NEVER use. I'd give anything for a fence, but the landlord won't allow it.

So I always check to make sure her dogs or kids are not out before I let my dogs out. My dogs prefer the opposite side of the yard from her house because that's where the trees and squirrels are so they don't even go near her yard anymore. But she never looks to see if I have our dogs out when she lets hers out and they run over here and of course mine then run to her dogs and I'm yelling at mine and she's always muttering under her breath at me and my dogs. She never talks to me directly. They have always been rude, her kids routinely cut through my yard and I never say anything because up until now, I didn't care.

Well this morning, I had the dogs out and they were on the opposite side of the yard and she let her dogs out and of course, they all run to each other. I got mine back inside before she got hers chased down because they ran through my backyard and were headed to the street. I could hear her cussing and I said: "You'd think by now you'd check to see if we're out first before you do this". I was also watering my plants (this is important later).
    Anyway, she gave me one of those "if looks could kill" looks and I went inside.

I go out later and there is a big pile of dog poop in the clay saucer that one of my potted plants sits in that was NOT there when I was watering. It is a plant that is up on a patio table, so no way could her dauschunds reach that to poop in it. A great dane couldn't have reached that. It's not cat poop either.

I was so angry. I called my neighbor (the good one) and she said "I wondered why I saw her walking through your yard earlier!" So she was seen in my yard when I was not out there.

Well I may be wrong, but I scooped up the poop and went and dropped it on the sidewalk right in front of her front door. The war is on now!

My good neighbor said: "you know, if I had a problem with you or your dogs, I'd speak to you directly about it, I'd never do that." She also went on to list all the problems these neighbors have been. One of my other neighbors who never has a bad thing to say about anyone, doesn't have a GOOD thing to say about these neighbors, so it's not just me. They are rude to everyone in the neighborhood and their cat has also been coming into my front yard to poop again and I haven't said anything about that as I just want to ignore them as much as possible.

But this was the last straw. I am so over them and to have her deliberately put dog poop in one of my potted plants is so juvenile. ARGH!!!! Can you tell how frustrated and angry I am???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow.... I can't believe people sometimes! I'd be so pissed! You handled the situation way better than I would have. I would have gone over there and thrown the poop at her!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2975214;
    Wow.... I can't believe people sometimes! I'd be so pissed! You handled the situation way better than I would have. I would have gone over there and thrown the poop at her!
    She wasn't home or I might have.

You know those potato guns that shoot potatos?? I'm going to make a poop gun and start lobbing "grenades" over there.

Of course, I wasn't acting juvenile at all for taking it back and dropping it on her front porch.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread