+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 94 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Do you have a hot line you can call?

There's a hotline, I've never seen the kid having any bruises or anything concrete. It is a tough call without proof.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2876245;
    There's a hotline, I've never seen the kid having any bruises or anything concrete. It is a tough call without proof.
    That is a tough call. I had a friend years ago whose baby was teething and SCREAMING her head off. The neighbor called social services and they had to come out and visit. In fact they made a couple visits and my friend was placed on their "list". They didn't find anything, told my friend that obviously the house and child were well cared for and taken care of, but that they HAD to check it out.
    The friend knew it was the neighbor as she and my friend were the only ones home on the street during the day and my friend had her windows open because it was nice weather and so did the neighbor that was home. At least that's what she figured. She actually did say something to the neighbor about it and the neighbor fessed up and apologized. But my friend was majorally upset about the whole thing.

So it is a tough one there. Not sure what you should do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm going to wait and see. If it doesn't stop in a couple months, something else is going on besides teething. I would hate to have anyone accuse me of abusing my son so I'll see what happens.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2876340;
    I'm going to wait and see. If it doesn't stop in a couple months, something else is going on besides teething. I would hate to have anyone accuse me of abusing my son so I'll see what happens.
    Still sucks you have to listen to it though. And the poor kid and the parents too.
    Maybe leaving a gift basket on the doorstep of orajel and baby tylenol would help.

And really that is a tough call. Is the baby really teething? or is something else going on? Do you call and report it and it turns out to be nothing, or is it really something else going on and reporting it helps.

I know my friend was really, really upset to be accused of what she saw as being a "bad" parent. But then again, if there is abuse going on with this baby, it needs to be caught.

OK, was that wishy washy enough for you? I guess what it boils down too is I have NO idea what advice to give, except for earplugs or an ipod.

buglover, if it's just the baby crying and no accompanying sounds - adults screaming or the sounds of things being broken, for example - chances are the child probably is just teething or is perhaps colicky. I was fortunate in that my own kids weren't that fussy while teething, but I've heard horror stories from other moms. I agree with mrd that investing in some earplugs may be your best bet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

These kids are young parents. Maybe 20, maybe. He laughs at the baby when it screams. That's how young they are.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Just my humble opinion, but I would call the hotline. I would rather err on the side of caution, especially since you said they are young parents. If there isn't any abuse, maybe there is an underlying medical problem, not teething. And a visit from social services could shed some light on that.

I know I sound like a nosy parker and interfering, too. But when kids are too young to speak for themselves, I think it's ok to be overly cautious.

and someone laughing at a baby who is screaming?

MRD

Buglover,

Since they are so young themselves, perhaps you could go over and have a friendly chat and say: "you know, when my son was going through this, I found that orajel, baby tylenol and a frozen wet washcloth for him to gnaw really helped. I know it's hard on everyone when your baby suffers, but perhaps there is something his pediatrician can suggest as well that might help soothe his poor aching gums."

They may just not know any better.

Or if you dont' want to butt in, leave some orajel, baby tylenol and a new washcloth with instructions to wet and freeze it for the baby to gnaw on, in a little basket outside their door. And maybe a parenting book with the page marked for teething. In fact, maybe other residents there would like to chip in on this with you.

+ Reply to Thread