+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 96 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

MRD

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2809206;
    I want to move to Camp Waldo, too! I make a mean cosmopolitan and a killer spaghetti sauce. Are those life skills your hubbie would consider important?
    I think the spaghetti sauce qualifies as I don't like spaghetti and he loves it and the only time he gets it is when he heats of a jar of Ragu. So killer homemade spaghetti would probably get you in.

Um, the last time I had cosmopolitans, I took a header face first into a sidewalk and 911 was called, so we'd have to hide the fact you make Cosmopolitans from him. He still hasn't forgiven me that one.

We can have a pond, I've always wanted a pond with ducks and swans (that the dogs would chase-hmm, rethinking THAT idea). But we looked at some property today that has a creek running through it. McKinney Creek (looked more like a trickle to me) that hubby is already talking about damming so it would make a pond. We could certainly call it WaldoN pond. Oh and there was another large pond we passed on the way out there that had beavers!!! I had never seen a beaver in the wild before! I was very impressed!!

This place is definetly in BFE. We can only see 1 house from the property, but the aerial photo shows 3 in the area including the one we looked at. But I'm telling you its so far out it's almost in NC. It's so far out, we'd need a rocket ship to get there.

The closest grocery store is 10 miles away. THAT is my only concern. That and there's bears. We didn't see any, but there have been bear reports in that area.
    Not sure I want to deal with bears. But I bet they'd be better neighbors than what we have now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bears...I was a girl scout...we'll figure that out mrd. We can take turns going to the store and making meals for everyone.. Just don't ask me to drink any kool aid!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2811932;
    Bears...I was a girl scout...we'll figure that out mrd. We can take turns going to the store and making meals for everyone.. Just don't ask me to drink any kool aid!

I think it may be Brunette Trixie's cosmopolitans you need to watch out for.

My husband hunts and says he's always wanted to "get a bear" (say that like Daniel Boone would say it. ).

I really dont' think I could deal with a bear skin rug though.

I was a girl scout too, but in Florida, we didn't have to worry about bears. Our only worries on campouts was the HUGE Florida mosquitos and the fire ants.

Oh, if we move out there, you guys are going to laugh your butts off at me. I do like to camp, but I've never lived anywhere as remote as this or on any land as I've always lived in a neighborhood. I have also always lived on FLAT land and the driveway to this place is formidable, I was covering my eyes. And I didn't drive it. I don't know if I can drive up it myself. Yikes! We are going to have to get a different car if we buy this place.

But I'm sure I will adapt, after many misadventures. Me and the dogs. There's skunks out there too as we saw and smelled a dead one on the road out there. I'll need that skunk spray remedy as I KNOW Waldo will try to make friends with a skunk. Hubby has lived out in the country. I am sure for me it will be a version of the movie Private Benjamin only it will be MRD in the woods. It will definetly be a learning experience.

I'll need that skunk spray remedy as I KNOW Waldo will try to make friends with a skunk.
    • One Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
    • One-quarter cup of baking soda
    • Several drops of dish detergent
    Mix immediately before use, rub on affected areas. Go ahead and give the big goof a regular bath afterwards. Don't even think about storing any left-over solution.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD - I lived for 15 years in a remote location that had a 20 min. drive to the nearest grocery store. You adapt. You make a list and make sure you do everything when you're in town - banking, errands, post office, groceries last. Get perishables in plastic bags and non perishables in paper then when you get home you get the plastic right in the house and in the fridge/freezer before you bother with the paper bags. I don't know that I'd want to mess with bears. Don't leave anything edible outside (even pet food), don't feed the birds, don't bake and leave the windows open, don't grow berry bushes. We camped (girl scouts) at a campground with bears a couple of years ago and they freaked me out. They came right through your site and in spite of all the warnings everywhere some kids snuck food in their tent and had it ripped apart by a bear in the middle of the night (the kids were ok). Not cute at all.
    Count your blessings!

I think that I could deal with the bears better than I could deal with the lack of indoor plumbing.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2814058;
    I think that I could deal with the bears better than I could deal with the lack of indoor plumbing.
    The girl scout camp we used to go to had bath houses with potties and showers. The cabins we stayed in had no electricity, but we were able to bathe.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Good lord, my idiot neighbor has just started band practice. The dude thinks he's Eddie Van Halen! I wish he would just go to guitar camp for wanna-be old rocker guys and leave my weeknights quiet.

Wait until you have a neighbor in their 20's who thinks they are the next So You Think You Can Dance star with DDR! Oh that's fun to feel them jumping up and down like there aren't neighbors near by!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2811929;
    Um, the last time I had cosmopolitans, I took a header face first into a sidewalk and 911 was called, so we'd have to hide the fact you make Cosmopolitans from him. He still hasn't forgiven me that one.
    It's not funny that you got hurt, but that made me lol. The trick to Cosmos is just have one or two and then switch to juice. That's how I've always avoided sidewalk face plants.

+ Reply to Thread