+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 91 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

FORT Fogey

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2758370;
    Veruka...maybe they figured they would sucker the new person to be on the board!

Do the members have to be voted on or can anyone be put on the board? Look at it this way...you're very well spoken here on the FORT...you might be able to do great things for your H.A.
    Well I have to admit, I'm kind of sort of thinking about it. If all I have to do is go to a meeting once a month and listen to neighbors complaining from time to time, I may do it. I live next to an area in the neighborhood where the pool and tennis courts are - an area run by the HOA. So as I see it, if I do take a board position, then I have some control over what happens next to my house. But if it requires more work than just listening and talking - nuh-uh, not for me! Honestly, I think the only reason they asked me was that of the new people who came to the meeting, I was (very uncharacteristically of the me FORTers know) quiet and the non-outspoken one. The other newbies were bring up all sorts of (stupid) ideas and suggestions. I just sat and listened. So the board members probably figure that's my normal personality (Maybe I need some FORTers to writer letters on my behalf to dispel that myth - "Give her a "post" button and you'll NEVER shut her up!!!") and I'd be just a seat filler who would let them do whatever they want to do.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Veruka, I have enjoyed your diverse views on everything. I can't imagine that you didn't speak yet. I bet as soon as you feel comfortable, you'll be chasing them around the room! I can't wait to hear about how glad they are that you're on the board. And how soon can you share your views on the "stupid" ideas? I want to be a fly on the wall. I just realized that this might come off as not nice, but I mean this in a very complementary way-You are our Veruka!

We have a neighbor who has threatened a few tenants in the building. He lives next door to a larger lady and every time she takes a shower he pounds on her wall (like she's making noise on purpose). He has written notes and put them on her car to shut up or he will have to shut her up, etc. The management got involved and he was asked to leave. He ended up writing to the land lady and giving her all kinds of things that have been going on noise wise in the complex (parties, etc) so she told him he had one more chance. The other day the large lady was clearing out her storage unit in the car port and he came out and said You're finally going to move out you B*tch? He's being evicted but has until the end of the month to move. This could get interesting.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2759244;
    Veruka, I have enjoyed your diverse views on everything. I can't imagine that you didn't speak yet. I bet as soon as you feel comfortable, you'll be chasing them around the room! I can't wait to hear about how glad they are that you're on the board. And how soon can you share your views on the "stupid" ideas? I want to be a fly on the wall. I just realized that this might come off as not nice, but I mean this in a very complementary way-You are our Veruka!
    Aw, thanks Famita! If there were a HOA board for FORT, I'd be more than happy to serve.

Oh, I found out today that I have to pay a $75 fine to have access to the pool, because the people who sold me my house didn't leave the key for me and I need a new one. I'm going to end up on the board. Things need to be straightened out around here.

I think I'd make a friend real fast, copy their key for a couple bucks and say, "Oh, I found it taped to the door of the cupboards!" $75 for a key? That's ridiculous.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2760465;
    I think I'd make a friend real fast, copy their key for a couple bucks and say, "Oh, I found it taped to the door of the cupboards!" $75 for a key? That's ridiculous.
    It's not a normal key. It's one of those electronic fob things. YOu have no choice but to buy one, or not use the pool. Part of me wants to hold off until the state declares how our water levels look, and whether or not they're going to allow pool season this year.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Veruka can you contact the previous homeowners and ask them about the key? Sometimes the attorney who closed your transaction (or if you had a realtor) will have the forwarding address of the seller and you might be able to contact them and at least ask them about the key. I work for a real estate attorney and I know we always have to get the new address of the seller for our records if there should be a problem.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I don't know-with Veruka's luck, they'd probably hold the key hostage for another $100!

Tell the HOA to take a flying leap into the pool. You did not lose the key, and as such, you shouldn't have any liability for its loss.

If the HOA doesn't budge, I wonder if you could recover the cost of the new key from the previous owner . . . Small-claims court would certainly hear the case, no attorneys to muddy it up. If you end up on Judge Judy, wear a FoRT t-shirt so we all recognize you
    Last edited by Newfherder; 01-19-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Newf-what a great idea!! We have an NBC station that runs her from 4-6pm monday through friday! What a way to meet our FORT friends!

+ Reply to Thread