+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2689371;
    Here's the weird thing. THEY have a fence. Their entire backyard is fenced, but no one uses it. Not the kid, not their dogs, they all go out front where its not fenced. They have a huge backyard with no plants, flowerbeds, trees. Just grass and a fence. Not even a BBQ grill as its out front too. Weird.

Sounds like the strange family or they listened to Bing crosby:

Bing Crosby - Don't Fence Me In

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
    Don't fence me in.
    Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
    Don't fence me in.
    Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,
    And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,
    Send me off forever but I ask you please,
    Don't fence me in.

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
    Underneath the western skies.
    On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
    Till I see the mountains rise.

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
    And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
    And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences
    Don't fence me in.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2689379;
    Sounds like the strange family or they listened to Bing crosby:
    Bing Crosby - Don't Fence Me In
    Good one!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm lucky. I have great neighbors. I moved here 3 years ago yesterday and I swear angels guided me here. I say this because it's a neighborhood where people talk to each other, look out for each other and help each other.

Oh, it has it's warts. The young boy (12yo) across the street and his friends keep looking for new ways to bleed in my driveway. They built a ramp and do "extreme sports" down their driveway on their skateboards or bikes right into the street, They throw water balloons at little old people's cars, and the other day they were riding around on bikes and taking turns trying to stick a baseball bat into the spokes of the other bikes.

We have leaf pick-up from the street. You rake or blow them into the street to about a foot away from the curb and the city picks them up about once per week. My next door neighbor last year pushed some leaves in the street in front of his house in front of my house because, he said, they were my leaves. I couldn't find my name on a single one. This year he gave me loads of tomatoes from his garden ... and they weren't even my tomatoes.

My next door neighbor on the other side is an adult prankster and so are some of his friends. I keep finding silly things on my front porch, or hanging from something and once they moved all my potted plants around which I didn't think was funny because they spilled dirt all over and they also strung a pumpkin balloon up on my flagpole. He also planted a bright pink toilet with artificial flowers and put it on a neighbor's lawn. The joke is the neighbor had just had his pink bathroom redone ... and at first thought the contractors brought his old toilet back.

I did have a problem with a previous neighbor who was dog-sitting her boyfriends Rottweiler "puppy" ... BIG puppy ... and then left it tied up outside alone all day ... and the dog acted mean and vicious. It got loose once and I opened my front door to find him sitting there and almost had a heart attack. I guess if someone tied me up in the hot sun all day I'd be mean too.

All in all, as I said, I'm lucky, and usually don't mind some of these "signs of life" around me.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I'm actually really, really lucky with my neighbours also (the letter bomber who lived across the street notwithstanding). Everyone is cordial, no one is intrusive, I have a marginal knowledge about their lives, they have a marginal knowledge of mine, and everything is smooth sailing. After we'd been here four years, a couple of women across the road hosted a small wine-and-pate get together for a few of the neighbours, so we got to know a couple of people a little better, but there is still no intrusion into each others lives, which couldn't make me happier.

One slightly negative side to getting to know my neighbours is that I discovered that one of the women who hosted the get together is/was (can't remember which) on the board of the UW and shares her house with the president of the UW. My boss is the board chair of the UW, so of course, even though they are all lovely, non-judgmental women, I feel slightly constrained in my personal actions. For example, I feel that I can no longer garden in my underwear .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2689646;
    I'm actually really, really lucky with my neighbours also (the letter bomber who lived across the street notwithstanding). Everyone is cordial, no one is intrusive, I have a marginal knowledge about their lives, they have a marginal knowledge of mine, and everything is smooth sailing. After we'd been here four years, a couple of women across the road hosted a small wine-and-pate get together for a few of the neighbours, so we got to know a couple of people a little better, but there is still no intrusion into each others lives, which couldn't make me happier.

One slightly negative side to getting to know my neighbours is that I discovered that one of the women who hosted the get together is/was (can't remember which) on the board of the UW and shares her house with the president of the UW. My boss is the board chair of the UW, so of course, even though they are all lovely, non-judgmental women, I feel slightly constrained in my personal actions. For example, I feel that I can no longer garden in my underwear .
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

Well Rattus, that sucks that you can't garden in your underwear, saves on laundry when you do that you know.

Well I'm with you about the back yard. We have a small patio with table and chairs, other chairs, plants and grill. But we are slightly uphill from the bad neighbors and their house is set back farther than ours, so our backyard looks down into their FRONT yard which is why we have the problem. We enjoy sitting on our nice patio in the back, but now we deal with them in the front. so if they used their backyard, we'd not see them at all.

The whole family is bad tempered and obnoxious.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

echo: It sounds like your neighbors have a great sense of humor!

Rattus: I'm glad you received some nice tomatoes! I wish we had weekly leaf pick-up. They all blow to my side of the street!

I sympathize with you not feeling ok to garden in your underwear! I have not had neighbors on one side for years and have new neighbors on the other which I don't want to offend (although there is a decent size fence). I tend to let the kitties in and out and run out with garbage in my pyjamas and slippers some days and on others was not concerned whether my clothes matches or looked really proper when I worked in the back yard as no-one would really see me. Now I'm nervous that I'll be caught wearing something silly.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

I go out all the time in my PJ's, so the neighbors are used to it. Since I wear flannel pj bottoms and thirts or sweat shirts, I don't think I'm offending anyone. It's not lacy lingere.

I actually don't care if they see me in non-matching pj's. It's my house, my yard, my dogs and my pj's. If they don't want to see it, then don't look.

Oh yeah, I'm still okay with wearing the jammies out, assuming I would actually wear jammies . I have also had a reasonably lengthy conversation with the neighbours while wrapped in a towel and nothing else (not planned - I stepped out into our fenced backyard for a second to ask Mr. Rattus something immediately following my shower, and the neighbours were there). The underwear, however, seems to bother people. Not me, you understand, but other people. The neighbours still seem to like me, though, so apparently my lack of connection with clothing doesn't seem to bother them much.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2691675;
    Oh yeah, I'm still okay with wearing the jammies out, assuming I would actually wear jammies . I have also had a reasonably lengthy conversation with the neighbours while wrapped in a towel and nothing else (not planned - I stepped out for a second to ask Mr. Rattus something immediately following my shower, and the neighbours were there). The underwear, however, seems to bother people. Not me, you understand, but other people. The neighbours still seem to like me, though, so apparently my lack of connection with clothing doesn't seem to bother them much.
    My dad would sit in a lawn chair just inside his garage in his boxers and a t-shirt. And inside as well. I think the last few years of his life, the neighbors and anyone else that came over, got used to seeing him in his underwear.

+ Reply to Thread