+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 95 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I don't believe I have any recourse, Lucy. Not according to my manager, and not according to the Police. Apparently, a person has the right play anything in their own home, or apartment, at any volume that suits them, as long as it's turned down by midnight. The owner told me that evicting this guy...evicting anyone...is a difficult thing to do, because apparently the guy downstairs has rights. His rights are actually addressed. My right not to have to be driven insane, though it sucks major ostrich eggs, is not addressed in any way, shape, or form that gives me the right to complain. Indeed, were I to call the manager everyday, for everyday it's my world, I could end up in trouble for constant harassment, as I would be pleading about an issue that the owner feels he has no right to control. Apparently, he's a "live and let live" type of person, too. I now know it's easy to be that type of person when worlds don't collide. My last, best hope was to try and reason with the guy, but he said something to me that has made it in his best interest that we not come face to face. I went down to his apartment the middle of last December, to plead with him to cut me some slack, that my Mom was critically ill, and I needed my rest so I could be there for her in the best capacity possible. He told me he didn't care, that his brother had died, so some old lady meant nothing to him. Instead of choking him right then and there, I told him I had lost a brother as well, and I felt for his loss. He said, "I don't give a f**k about you, your brother, or you f*****G mother, and if you don't leave me alone, I'm calling the Police". It truly is in his best interest that we not come face to face. Like I said before, no telling what crazy may do, and I would love to go all "Towanda" on his ass.

That is horrible! It would have been really hard not to tell him to go ahead and call the police and tell them to send an ambulance too.

There are good neighbors out there. Not that I have any. My parents have a wonderful neighbor. Super nice guy, about my age. As my parents are getting older it makes me feel better that they have a nice guy next door that can help keep an eye on them. He putters around his house and works on engines for friends so he always has something he's tinkering on. Which my dad loves. When my moms brother died she was laying down in her bedroom which is right next to his driveway. He was working on a motorcycle and had the engine running. When my dad went out and told him my mom was laying down he turned it off immediately and couldn't have been more apologetic.

So there are good neighbors out there. They're just hard to find.

lopevianThis is horrible..! ! !

You say you have no recourse.....and you really want to stay in your charming apt. I can understand that. I love charming older buildings. With that said...You have to get proactive if you want to stay and keep your sanity and possibly marriage intact.

My advice:

Go to the library or book store and get familiar with your state's/city's renter's rights. Hopefully this issue would be addressed..or at least the Land Lord's responsibilities.

Find out what city ordinances say about sound pollution. Most cities have a noise decibel limitation. Drivers can't play their car stereos over a certain level of decibels because it causes noise pollution......find out what it is in your city.

Keep a tape recorder handy and record the noise. You'll need proof of the violation. I would also make use of a hidden recorder and attempt a civil conversation with the goon while recording all his mean ugly discussion on tape... If not the police, the landlord needs to hear it.

Some cities' disturbance of peace ordinances aren't limited to the 10:00 pm. If it's disturbing noise, it can be any time of day. We have a 10:00 noise curfew in our city, but the police will come out any time for disturbing the peace.

and by the way, where is you husband in all this mess? Has he attempted to speak to the landlord or neighbor? It might help.

Well, lopevian, I wish you well and hope this can be resolved one way or another. I know you have rights....just hope you can find out what they are and have the strength to stand up for your rights.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

lopevian

I just did a quick Google on Noise Pollution Laws.

Here's an article I found and would love to see your neighbor attend:
    Keep Your Music to Yourself; Colorado Town Teaches Lesson to Noise Scofflaws
    PUBLICATION: The Associated Press
    DATE: March 6, 1999
    BYLINE: Robert Weller
    DATELINE: Fort Lupton, Colorado

The Associated Press reports the town of Fort Lupton, Colorado, has devised a unique and effective penalty for those who violate the noise ordinance by blasting music from their cars.

According to the article, employing something like the aversion therapy in the movie "A Clockwork Orange," Municipal Judge Paul Sacco requires people convicted of violating the city's noise ordinance to listen to music they don't like. Offenders, most of whom got in trouble for playing their stereos too loud, gather once a month, on a weekend night, to listen to court-selected songs. The offenders are mostly young, so there is a heavy dose of lounge music, including Wayne Newton and Dean Martin, plus some John Denver songs. Seventeen-year-old David Mascarenas was apparently scared straight. "I'm not going to jam no more," he said. "I took my stereo out already. I don't want to be hassled no more."

The article reports court coordinator Patrice Redearth, who suggested the one-hour music treatment, said she got her first playlist by asking her 17-year-old "what the kids would hate." The worst selection was the "Barney" theme song, said Ryan Bowles, 21, adding, "If you laugh they cite you for contempt." Redearth said, "If they fall asleep their eyes will be pried open," in a joking reference to "A Clockwork Orange." The DJ policeman, Joe Morales, said there's something annoying for everyone, and it works. He recalled having problems "with one kid three or four times. He came here once and he hasn't been back."

The article states Sacco's program began Dec. 5 in this agricultural and industrial town of 5, 200 people 30 miles north of Denver. The sessions are held in City Hall. Most of the offenders are rap-loving teens. But not all. "There was a guy who was 45 who got a ticket for listening to Bob Seger," the judge said. Sacco, who is 45 himself and has been playing blues guitar since he was 10, said the point he is trying to make is that "it's wrong to impose your music or style on someone else. You've got guys going around now with 15-inch speakers in a small car with a 1,000-watt amplifier," the judge said. "Maybe the ordinance will help them save their ears."

The article goes on to list the selections for the most recent music punishment session. Included were: Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, Moonlight Sonata and Fuer Elise; Wayne Newton's "Danke Schoen" and "Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home;" Disney's "This Old Man;" Judge Paul Sacco, "Sleepin' in My Car;" Dean Martin's "One Cup of Happiness" and "It's Cryin' Time;" Tony Orlando and Dawn, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ol' Oak Tree;" Jerry Vail, "Volare;" Henry Mancini, "Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet;" John Denver, "Sunshine on My Shoulders;" Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, "Happy Trails to You;" and Roger Whitaker, "I'm Going to Leave Old Durham Town."

NPC Noise News
    NPC Home

...they really know how to inflict pain....
    Last edited by Vonna; 09-15-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Lopevian

Since you really want to stay there ( it sounds lovely) ... I think Vonna has given you some excellent suggestions. A bonus might even be that while you are researching noise pollution at the Library, perhaps you could excersise your creative efforts on one of the Library computers, free of headphones.

Perhaps you could also write up something to have all of these hero-worshipping tenants sign. Keep it simple ... just that like you, they are disturbed by the constant drum machine activities ... and file some sort of a formal, nuisance complaint, in writing on behalf of all of the tenants. Allow a copy for the landlord so he can see that the tenants are working it out "amongst yourselves."

I don't know where you live, but I agree with Vonna that most, if not all municipalities have tenants rights laws/statutes that apply to multi-family housing and may have some reference to noise pllution and disturbing the peace. Perhaps the landlord may be in violation for not having a noise pollution clause in the lease. If nothing else, having the facts may, should you choose to move, give you the right to vacate your lease early without penalty.

Since you and your hubby love the place, it seems worth the effort, and may help you focus on somethng besides the incessant drum beat.

Be well, and don't let the jerk get you down. The good news is there are acceptable answers and solutions.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2570624;
    That is horrible! It would have been really hard not to tell him to go ahead and call the police and tell them to send an ambulance too.
    You said it.
    In that moment, I was stunned speechless, and I think I sucked in about 20 liters of air in less than a second. Before he closed his door though, I let a string of expletives fly that Larry Flint would have found offensive. I don't even think they were all in English, and I'm pretty sure at one point I was speaking in tongues. My inner Banshee has a filthy mouth, I'll tell you that.

Thank you Vonna, for your thoughtful reply! Those are all useful suggestions. I wish we had an ordinance like the town of Fort Lupton. The article was great! Thank you for posting it. Where I live, they may indeed have an outdoor noise ordinance, but again, the Police are so scarce, it's doubtful there's much enforcing going on. When it comes to L.A., cars, and the Police, that mostly means a car chase is in progress. As for my husband, that's a tough one for me. He's been very patient. That's a tough one.

Thanks for the advise, echo! I really appreciate your input. The only noise clause in the lease agreement is that it must be shut down by midnight, and there's no mention of decibel levels. I have believed this was the law, because the Police told me the same thing. But I'm not positive, that is, I've never read what's on the books. Who knows? Maybe there is something I can do. But I know it will be me doing it. My husband has no attachment to this place at all, in fact now he pretty much hates it, because he misses his wife.

Sorry it takes so long to respond. It's a combination of mental fatigue, slow typing, and the fact that I'm sitting here with headphones blasting away.

I still have no neighbors on my North side. The house sold and it's empty. No renovating. Nothing.

But I just heard that my neighbors to my South DID find renters (they couldn't sell in time)! There will be a professional couple with a 20 year old daughter and two small doggies!!

No rottweillers:

They should move in by the end of the month.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I have new neighbors!!

A new family started moving in today: husband, wife, son, step-daughter and tomorrow; three little shizhuhs!

I met them after their truck pulled up as I was mowing leaves for, hopefully, the last time. They seem really, really nice! Unfortunately, the wife (I can't remember names today) is very allergic to kitties

And the owner of the vacant house stopped by last night and may have her son move into it before too long. He's in university and looks like he may have some parties. We'll see what happens there.

At least there will be others around to help shovel snow once it falls!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Oh, misskitty! I'm so happy for you. As most people know, good neighbors can make all the difference in the world. Wishing you lots of good times and peaceful days with your new neighbors.

+ Reply to Thread