+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 96 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

gabriel, it's the same here where I live, and usually, in my minimal experience with apartment-living, the owner/manager handles it promptly.

I lived in a townhouse for a while after my divorce and had a very strange set of neighbors who would fight constantly at 2am. The screaming would be so loud and so intense that it would often wake the kids. I tried talking to the neighbors, but they acted like I was invading their privacy and stepping over the line by even mentioning it to them. So I took it to the owner of the properties and he immediately issued a written warning or whatever it is legally called. I also spoke with the tenants on the other side of their unit and asked them to file a complaint if it was bothering them. It was. They did. While I'm not sure of the legalities involved, after several written warnings, the owner ended up evicting them because of all the complaints.

So filing a complaint is a good idea if you'd eventually like to get some peace and quiet. I'd also recommend talking to the other tenants to see if they are having the same issues with his noise. If so, multiple complaints by unrelated parties to the owner.manager would really bring the situation to a close quickly, IMO.

And one more thing - My boyfriend is a night-owl and a musician, and when he gets the drum machine out at night, he uses headphones! I'd think this guy could be courteous enough to do that in the evenings and at night at the least. I believe almost all the drum machines have headphone jacks for that very reason - monotonous drumming is torturous!

I almost want to meet the neighbor...sounds like black magic voodoo drumming!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

It's obvious this neighbor isn't courteous enough to think of anyone else but himself. Is this a matter that the police could be called in on? I don't know how it works for apartments but in my neighborhood (residential homes), the police have been called because people have music playing so loudly that it can be heard from the streets. The landlord should deal with this--especially if the other neighbors complain as well. You've been there 20 years...I'm sure he knows you're a good tenant and not a whiner. He should listen. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2566402;
    So filing a complaint is a good idea if you'd eventually like to get some peace and quiet. I'd also recommend talking to the other tenants to see if they are having the same issues with his noise. If so, multiple complaints by unrelated parties to the owner.manager would really bring the situation to a close quickly, IMO.
    As an owner who lives on the main floor, surrounded by 3 tenants, I can tell you nothing makes me happier than having tenants filing valid complaints against other tenants. Often our hands are tied; tenants have more rights than we do. But if another tenant complains, then we can do something about it.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

The owner of the building has made it clear to all of us that he will not intervene on anyone's behalf. He says we are to work it out amongst ourselves, and he doesn't want to hear about it. He told me that if the guy goes past midnight, I have the right to call the Police. However, it is not in the rental agreement that anyone has to play anything softly, be it a TV, stereo, game of poker, or a drum machine. The owner has been very good to me over the years. He says he empathizes, but his hands are tied. He can't ask the guy to stop doing anything before midnight. He encourages us to "work it out". That's what is depressing for me, because the guy doesn't care. He's not the one with the problem, I'm the one with the problem...and he's right. He's absolutely right. As for the Police, they are so severely undermanned where I live, it would take them a good hour to even respond...if they respond at all. They have much bigger fish to fry than stopping by to tell someone to shut it down. The surrounding neighbors think I'm their hero for confronting the guy, because they're afraid of him. They don't want to say anything to anybody, except for ambushing me in the laundry room, to whisper, "way to go!! you're my hero!!!" "Yeah, well thanks lady, but 3/4's of your freakin' hero's brain has gone mad...say, is there perhaps something you can do for me!". I don't know or care where their fear is coming from, but I'm no hero, I'm just a woman slowly being driven insane. I'm certainly not afraid of him, if anything, he should be afraid of me. No telling what crazy may do. He is my torturer. That sounds dramatic, but it's true.
    In the early days, I tried to be open minded about it, even tried to have fun with it. Instead of getting mad, I'd practice arpeggios on the piano. Some weekends, my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) and I would mix up strawberry daiquiris, and have a blast coming up with raps to accompany the non-stop beat. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now, I feel like the song says, "slipping into darkness". I think there is only so much the human mind can endure before something gives. I have such resentment for him as a person now, he made it very hard those months my Mom was in the hospital, and I was leaving early each morning to help with her recovery. He has robbed from me the opportunity to sit in peaceful quiet, to look at photographs and reflect on memories of my Mom. As soon as I hear the first beat, I can feel my blood pressure and respirations increase, it's a physical reaction that I have no voluntary control over. It feels like every nerve in my body is turning inside out, and back in again. I don't want to freak out, but I will. The headphones go on immediately, and the music starts blasting, it's my only salvation. I either do that, or be nearly hysterical in probably under five minutes, maybe even under three. I don't have the concentration to research any of this on the internet, but I'm sure I'm suffering the effects of some torture related stress disorder. I feel so depressed, seeking help from the outside seems like a monumental task, and I don't feel anywhere near up to it. That would require a level of functioning that I haven't seen since October of last year. As much as I don't want to leave my home, it looks like moving is my only option. I'm still somewhat of a newlywed, and my husband moved in with me, so he's at the beginning stages of the beat induced insanity. But he's smart, and he's insisting, for both our sake's and for our marriages sake, that we get the hell out of dodge.

Thanks so much for the input and support. I hope I haven't made anyone feel uncomfortable. This has been a help, like letting some of the pressure escape. I know you're a kind group, and that you wish me well...if we just shift over to a good neighbor story directly, that would be good for the thread. Like I said, I know you caring and empathetic folks here are pulling for crazy ass lopevian. I'd put a heart smiley here, but I'm in the quick reply.
    Last edited by lopevian; 09-11-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Lopevian! Nothing, and I mean nothing is worth what you are going through. Your health should come first, and even though it seems like giving in, I would move as soon as possible. Good luck. Yikes!

Thank you, canuckinchile. You're right, I know. It's going to be hard to leave. I've had a life here for a long time. Three cats have lived here, Floyd, Miles & Claire. Something has to give, that I can still recognize. Unfortunately, it's going to have to be us "giving in", as you said, and yes, that's exactly what it feels like. But that doesn't feel anything as bad as nerve endings doing flip-flops, so it's got to be done.

I had a neighbour who was the sweetest lady in the world, but she had a neighbour who was driving her 'round the bend with late-night music. She asked him nicely to stop, but it continued - the family had very young kids at the time and she needed her sleep. She solved it by pushing her TV up to the bad neighbour's wall, cranking up a Blue's Clues videotape really early in the morning and letting it play (I think she took her kids out and left her TV on). It got the message across, at any rate.

Lopevian, I've had bad neighbours, and no house or apartment is worth your emotional health. Give your notice and make sure that you mention, in writing, why you're leaving. If the owner values you as a long-time tenant, he'll take action against your bad neighbour.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I did try that once, AJane, and paid dearly for it. My neighbor is not only cold hearted and cruel, he's vindictive. As for the manager, good relationship aside, he could rent this place for more than twice what my rent is now, and I'm not altogether sure that that doesn't play into his apathy. I've been a good tenant, but certainly no gravy train, that's for sure. It would behoove the owner's pocketbook were I to move.

Sure am glad it worked out for your neighbor's neighbor, though!! Yeah!! A success story! Glad to hear it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2567481;
    I did try that once, AJane, and paid dearly for it. My neighbor is not only cold hearted and cruel, he's vindictive. As for the manager, good relationship aside, he could rent this place for more than twice what my rent is now, and I'm not altogether sure that that doesn't play into his apathy. I've been a good tenant, but certainly no gravy train, that's for sure. It would behoove the owner's pocketbook were I to move.

Sure am glad it worked out for your neighbor's neighbor, though!! Yeah!! A success story! Glad to hear it.
    Lopevian, nothing is worth your sanity. Maybe this is the nudge you need to move on. Find a great place with your new husband and start over in peace and quiet.
    And then I'd put an ad in the classifieds for a drum machine at a ridiculously low price with your neighbors address. "No phone calls please, drop by between 5 and 6 am on Sat and Sun., as I have to work and must sell this IMMEDIATELY".

(I'm evil when I'm crossed. I don't usually act on it, but I love to think of things like that ad that I would like to do. ahhhhhh hahahahaha - my evil laugh)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread