+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 96 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2553697;
    So I go online to check the local news site only to discover that the city letter bomber has been arrested, and he lived across the street from us. That really gives credence to that whole you-never-know-your-neighbours cliche.
    I just heard this on the news Rattus. Is it related to the DVP closing? What a mess I heard it is, especially during Labor weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2554291;
    I just heard this on the news Rattus. Is it related to the DVP closing? What a mess I heard it is, especially during Labor weekend.
    It is - they carted the bombs down to the Leslie Street Spit (about ten minutes from my house) and blew them up down there. I've moved my bomb chatter over to Koffee Klatch because it's gone beyond the realm of just a bad neighbour to being an all-round bad, albeit interesting, day. Poor Mr. Rattus - when he was on vacation and I was working, all he got was a week's worth of road construction.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Wow Rattus that is kind of scary, but glad he was caught. I learned many years ago when a national news story about something in my hometown became huge news that the tv people do NOT interview people that are well dressed and usually not well spoken. In our town's case, they searched out the nutjobs to get the really prejudiced and ignorant comments and those are the ones they aired. They interviewed a friend of mine who was well spoken and knowledgeable about the incident and never aired her interview. They went for the controversial every single time. Of course, this made the situation look even worse than it was. So their comment about you being scared is understandable. They want the sensationalized story, not the intelligent neighbor story.
    This also led me to finally realize that the national news does NOT always tell the truth. We had camera crews for more than a week in our town and what was really happening and what was aired were not one and the same thing. And they fed the frenzy around the story until a LOT got blown way out of proportion. I have to wonder if there had been responsible reporting if half of what went on and the aftermath would have ever happened.
    Well I'm sure you are all wondering what it was. Back in the early 80's 3 little boys with hemophila and that were HIV positive went public with a story that the local school board had banned them from classes. This was before much was known about the spread of Aids and the school had offered to privately tutor the boys instead of them going to public school. A lawyer contacted the family and this is how the case become so sensationalized and public. The lawyer and the news media fanned the flames. The idiots that live in my town, let their ignorance and paranoia be aired on national tv and as a result we were named the "town without pity". In actuality, what really happened was not nearly as bad as was reported and it did get blown out of proportion. As a result of the "feeding frenzy", their house was burned down. It later, much, much later, came out that their own uncle had set the fire to the house. But at the time, the town was villianized for burning out these poor unfortunate boys. And yeah, the school board went about the whole thing in the wrong way, but again, this was near the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and people were understandably scared as transmission was not wholly understood at that time. But the news media made this story by exploiting the family involved, the people that lived in the town and ever since then, what i hear and read I take with a grain of salt.

Snark, I've never understood how anyone that works at McD's part time can afford a coke habit. Apt. complexes are havens for whackos. I've lived in my share and had some good neighbors and some really strange ones.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-06-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

You guys, I'm really enjoying reading the stories about the neighbors in your life, so THANKS A LOT for keeping the stories coming!!!

I'm way, way overdue for an update on my neighbors so I'll get in here soon to talk about 'em. I have wonderful people in my building these days and in the homes around mine, so I'm very happy about that.

I'm sure I can come up with some good info to share about them so I'll be back soon to do that.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2559525;
    Apt. complexes are havens for whackos.
    I respectfully disagree with that, myrosiedog. IMO, that is an inaccurate and unfair generalization.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stick pins in the voodoo doll I made of my downstairs neighbor.

MRD

You're right it is an unfair generalization. I'm sorry.

But I've lived in enough to know that a certain kind of element tends to stick out more than the so called, normal people I guess, so you just assume that everyone is a whacko and its usually only a few. I think I just didn't like apt. living as it was too many people in a small space and the strange ones tended to be more vocal/and out and about than the other ones.

I guess its just as true about neighborhoods too. I tend to have some whacko neighbors and some really good ones. But the whackos are just more in your face than the "normal" ones so get noticed more.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Which is why i can't wait to be out of here, only to probably end up in another one. I can't stand most of my neighbors. One had the audacity to let their pet defecate right off the stairs.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2564353;
    You're right it is an unfair generalization. I'm sorry.

I really should know better than to post anything until the ringing in my ears and the pounding in my head ceases to reverberate, it's just that the window is getting smaller all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2564423;

I really should know better than to post anything until the ringing in my ears and the pounding in my head ceases to reverberate, it's just that the window is getting smaller all the time.
    While not all apt. dwellings are havens for the wacky and unstable, I think they may have that reputation because numerous families live in them. The more people you have gathered in one place, the more likely you are to have a wacko or two...

I've been lucky. When I lived in apt's. I usually had pretty nice neighbors. The only time that was untrue that comes to mind was one family...I went to school with the girl and was friends with her for awhile, but when we moved in...that sure changed. Her kids were filthy all the time and ran around naked....you could smell her house in my house (it was a double). She popped over one day to borrow spot cleaner because while she was sleeping in, her 8 year old had poured a whole bottle of chocolate syrup all over her couch and proceded to paint with it. I was thinking...spot cleaner isn't going to do much. A flame thrower on the other hand.....

Every year I get the urge to move into an apartment to save money (apartments are cheaper than my trailer payment and lot rent), then in te complex down the street, one of the buildings burn down. It happens at least once a year in this complex. It isn't like they are cooking drug. Once it was a kid playing with a lighter, it's been a candle, wiring, etc. I just think it is funny that it is always in the same place.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread