+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 94 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

MRD

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2347556;
    You live inside the city limits, right? Because you would most likely have to call the police and not the sheriff's department. My husband is a deputy sheriff and they don't deal with anything inside the city limits, they handle all the county stuff and small towns that don't have police departments.
    No, we are outside the city limits in the county, so its the sheriff dept. we have to call.

Great idea about taking pictures CC. I will remember to do that in the future.

Well, my husband is going to go over there and believe me, they'd rather deal with me than him, but as she runs when she sees me now, he's going to go over and tell her that if she so much as mentions us to anyone, does anything to the dogs or our yard, we're calling the police and believe me, he won't be as nice about it as I would and he says he's telling her that. "Shouldn't have run from my wife, because I'm an SOB and I won't tip toe around".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2347399;
    I don't know, MRD, I think I would be inclined to make a batch of brownies (with a tinge of exlax added). With wonderful neighbors like that, who needs enemies? And no, I (really) wouldn't ever, never, add exlax. I like brownies too much!

Don't you mean with neighbors like that, who needs enema's?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2347659;
    Don't you mean with neighbors like that, who needs enema's?

What would I do without you guys for comic relief. Ha, relief, no pun intended!

Well, since I've now made such good friends with the sewer workers, perhaps I can convince them to move the giant pile of dirt from in front of my driveway (hubby has backed into it twice now) and put it smack dab in the middle of hers and block them either in or out.
    (one funny thing about this pile. Over the weekend, several neighbors were taking advantage of it and filling up wheelbarrows to distribute it in low spots or holes in their yard. We had the parade of wheelbarrows.)

MRD: I'm glad you are nipping the bad poisoning neighbor in the butt, so to speak. Glad to talked to the Sheriff and are making notes. If anyone hurts your Rosie or Bogie, I'm sure the whole Fort will come down and take that woman for a long ride on a short road.
    -------------
    I just met a wonderful neighbor yesterday while raking the lawn. Actually, my Dad met him first because he was closer to the sidewalk than me. Everyone usually thinks my Dad lives here. LOL

Anyway, the man's name was Ian and he was taking a walk with his new baby in a carriage and his little 2 1/2 year old son Noah. As well as their Jackrussell named Sophie! (so sweet!) I've seen them before but never really "met". Their family lives at the very end of the street and are looking to move to a bigger home.

I found out yesterday that my nieghbor to my right just sold his house! I had no clue he was thinking of selling. I told this man, Ian, and he felt bad he never knew either. The house would have been perfect for their growing family and I would have really loved them for a nieghbor.

He told us that two doctors have bought the two houses kitty korner to me and are going to bulldoze them soon and rebuild. Gosh. I honestly don't know what's happening around here. I guess I'll have a very noisy summer.

My neighbors to my left are planning on moving and renting their house out by the end of summer to.

So, what is the protocol for welcoming new neighbors? Do I approach them first and introduce myself? Leave a little card in their mailbox? Or do I let them have time to move in and say Hi when the opportunity arises? I don't want to be too forward but I don't want to appear snobby either.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Misskitty - having moved twice in the last two years, here's how I feel:
    The first move - neighbors stopped briefly over the first few days, left notes or business cards with their names, phone number, children's names and ages, and which house they lived in. Some left food or flowers or wine, but that wasn't what made us feel welcome - it was meeting them and knowing we had friendly, normal seeming neighbors. After that, they left us alone unless we were out in the yard, or the neighborhood boys wanted to play - you know, the natural progression of "getting to know you". This second move, as I posted earlier, is quite different. I don't feel unwelcome, it's just not the same; something is missing.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

So, what is the protocol for welcoming new neighbors? Do I approach them first and introduce myself? Leave a little card in their mailbox? Or do I let them have time to move in and say Hi when the opportunity arises? I don't want to be too forward but I don't want to appear snobby either.
    It's the same protocol as shaking hands, misskitty. The person in the power position, in this case you since you are the old-timer, makes the first gesture. Try to make sure that the gesture includes at least two fingers, not just one.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2347986;
    It's the same protocol as shaking hands, misskitty. The person in the power position, in this case you since you are the old-timer, makes the first gesture. Try to make sure that the gesture includes at least two fingers, not just one.
    I think I like being in the "power position". But I don't like being the "old-timer". Thanks for the advice.

cricketeen: I don't have children or business cards. But I do like to say Hi when the opportunity presents and let them know I have two kitties in case they go missing or something. I guess I'll see how it goes!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2348081;
    I think I like being in the "power position". But I don't like being the "old-timer". Thanks for the advice.

cricketeen: I don't have children or business cards. But I do like to say Hi when the opportunity presents and let them know I have two kitties in case they go missing or something. I guess I'll see how it goes!
    Being on both sides of the issue, I say introduce yourself in the first few days with a plate of cookies or brownies or some treat. That is ALWAYS appreciated. make a little note with your cookies with your name and which house you live in (your house number) and the kitties names too.

Nothing wrong with letting them know your kitties are your children!
    Something else I thought of that I appreciated is carryout and delivery menus along with some coupons.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2349791;
    Nothing wrong with letting them know your kitties are your children!
    Something else I thought of that I appreciated is carryout and delivery menus along with some coupons.
    THAT is a GREAT idea! When we moved here, we did not know who delivered and called several places before finding pizza delivery. We had several bad chinese delivery experiences before finding one that was decent.
    Having menus, coupons and reccomendations would have been a godsend when we first moved in.

If they are new to your town, see if your town has a vistors guide or a yearly guide to the town. I found one of those on one of my forays and it told us a lot about the area, festivals, parks, resturants, etc.

Making a small basket with a city guide, takeout menus and coupons and a homemade goodie would be a great welcome to the neighborhood gift. I would love to get that.

+ Reply to Thread