+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

MRD

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2321001;
    You could "moon" her !

Seriously, I think the suggestion to "kill her with kindness" is the best idea.
    When she's staring at you through the door, wave and say "Hi ! Would you like to join us for a lemonade (or whatever ).In traffic, when someone lays on their horn. I simply wave, smile and pretend I know them. Avoids road rage.

These kind of tactics can be disarming while staring back at her seems more confrontational and playing into her game.
    Funny, but I do the same thing in traffic and sometimes it seems to make the person madder.

I am going to be super nice. I may even take over a treat for the kids.

We are now being treated to a run down pickup that doesn't run in the driveway that has had the hood up for 2 days. I don't even KNOW where that came from.

As for them driving beemers and living in a rundown house. It seems to be all about status for them, no one comes to visit them, so why have a nice house, but as they are always on the go, they want people to notice their cars and how nicely they dress. The boy is my daughters age and she knows him from school and she says he's nice, but really into what he wears, which name brand, etc.
    Personally, their house makes the ENTIRE street look bad. We live on a cul-de-sac and everyone else works hard to make their yard and house look good and then this eyesore. One of my neighbors says it drives her so batty, she wants to go over there and fix everything herself so she doesn't have to look at it anymore. And she lives BEHIND them. I told her to come around and see the front.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2321127;
    I am going to be super nice. I may even take over a treat for the kids.
    I'd go with that. She might be someone whose social skills are not up to par and needs someone else to make the first move. Maybe even try to find one thing to complement them on their house/yard. "I really like the color of your ......." or "What kind of flowering bush is that? We didn't have those in Florida."

This reminds me of a funny story. Where my in-laws used to live, their backyard was very private in the spring/summer/fall, but as only about half of the trees were evergreens the neighbors behind them could see into my in-laws' great room from their kitchen. My MIL knew the lady and she was very nice, but extremely nosy. Frequently when we'd have family gatherings we'd see her just standing there, looking at us. One time we noticed that she was using binoculars!!!!! My in-laws just used to ignore them or close the blinds, but the "outlaws" (my sister-in-law's husband and I) decided to try a different tactic. We went right up to the window, smiled big and waved our arms like mad. She backpedaled so fast and then closed her blinds. It was really funny. My MIL was mortified.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, that would definitely be taking the high road.... While you are waiting for the $$ to build that privacy fence can you plant something? I hear bamboo grows incredibly fast (just make sure it doesn't spread), or maybe some evergreen trees right where they will grow to block the view from her door? I would think that would definitely improve the value of your property--even if there wasn't this awful neighbor people like to have a backyard that is spy proof. Of course maybe that's not much cheaper than a fence--not a big gardener here!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2321417;
    Yes, that would definitely be taking the high road.... While you are waiting for the $$ to build that privacy fence can you plant something? I hear bamboo grows incredibly fast (just make sure it doesn't spread), or maybe some evergreen trees right where they will grow to block the view from her door? I would think that would definitely improve the value of your property--even if there wasn't this awful neighbor people like to have a backyard that is spy proof. Of course maybe that's not much cheaper than a fence--not a big gardener here!
    One of my good neighbors told me about a fast growing cedar tree.
    At this point, nothing would grow fast enough for me. I need some of those Jack in the beanstalk grow overnight type trees.

But I think that I will check out the cedar trees. The dogs started putting up a HUGE racket earlier and of course, I checked and a greenville county government truck was in their driveway and now there is a big sheet of paper stuck on their door. Could it be a code violation? Enquiring minds want to know. I'm sure she'll blame me, but I didn't call.

I just hate having neighbor problems. Everyone else is nice. Even hummerhead across the street has gotten tolerable since his wife left him and he has a new girlfriend. Wouldn't surprise me if he turned them in as he has to look out his window at their house (the houses on this street are staggered funny because we perch on the side of a hill, so the house right across the street from me, is actually kind of in the middle across the street from us and mean neighbors).

The neighbor with the tree advice can't STAND them. She's lived in the neighborhood 25 years and said they've done NOTHING for as long as they have lived in the house and that she hates it that it looks so crappy. Her yard of course is the neighborhood show place. I am fortunate enough to be invited for tea to sit on her patio and admire her beautiful landscaping. Not to mention she's hysterically funny and a joy to be around.

(hmmm, wondering here if the reason we are now being targeted is that they have noticed that we are new, yet know all the neighbors and socialize with them and they do not. Could be jealousy? But they haven't put themselves out to meet anyone either, so its their own fault. Me, I had met everyone within the first 2 weeks of moving in. And having dogs helps as EVERYONE stops to talk to you when you have a dog)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Subtlely checking to see if you are the good neighbors with the pooper scoopers in your pocket!
    I never heard of a fast growing cedar tree...you want something bushy as well as fast and tall...

My mom put in some cedar hedges and they filled in quickly. They are easy to keep and just require occasional pruning.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2321736;
    Subtlely checking to see if you are the good neighbors with the pooper scoopers in your pocket!
    I never heard of a fast growing cedar tree...you want something bushy as well as fast and tall...
    Not only am I the good neighbor that picks up after my dogs, but at the park on sunday, some idiot let his dog poop on the walkway and left it. After watching people walk around it. I went and got a poop bag and picked it up. So I even pick up poop that doesn't belong to me

But I want to be able to take my dogs to the park and don't want some idiot that doesn't clean up after his dogs to ruin it for the rest of us.

I would like to think we are good neighbors. I have always made treats for new neighbors when they move in. We always give neighbors a hand when we see them out doing something. We invite them to our house for things, we don't borrow, but we do lend and we keep up our yard and house.
    I've had friendly neighbors and not friendly neighbors and neighbors I never met or really saw. But all in all, I have to live here, so I try to be a good neighbor, but that apparantly doesn't extend to how everyone else feels.
    After going through the 2004 hurricanes in Florida, you really come to value your neighbors because there are times when you HAVE to depend on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2321736;
    Western Red Cedars (trivia: the only conifer native to Kansas) grow like weeds, but even so, it would take several years for a seedling to grow enough to block the view, and I suspect that MRD wants a more immediate solution.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

A privet hedge might do well. They grow thick, are almost impenetrable and aren't invasive but I don't know how long one might take to grow in. Probably three or four years?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD, I have enjoyed reading about your wonderful neighbors. Knowing what a caring individual you are, I truly think they'd be terrified if you went over and handed them some home-baked goods. They'd probably think you were trying to poison them! I also enjoyed Stephanie's offer of her brute-for-hire-I think we all have known people we could send over to our fellow FORTers in their times of need! veejer's idea of surprise made me spit my morning beverage on my wonderful keyboard. Your mom was probably mortified-she has to live there! I'd be mortified, but I also would be one of the first to start waving! Thank you all for making me thankful I have pretty decent neighbors.

+ Reply to Thread