+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 96 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

We live in an older neighborhood that is settled and quiet and has large yards. But our neighbors on one side have been ticking me off for about a year. They park in front of our house and put their trash cans in front of our house. I don't understand why they don't park and put their trash in front of their house. I feel like parking in front of their house, but I don't want to walk that far. I haven't said anything, but I could at any time. They sort of look down on us because they have more money and more cars.

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    On one side we have a family of five, they're nice, but kind of icy, particularly the mother. I think they think that we're trashy.

On the other we have a family of four. I'm friendly with them, but something isn't right. The daughters are never allowed to leave the house, and everyone seems very afraid of the father.
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anemone View Post
    ...COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. - A feud between neighbors ...
    when i first saw the city name, i honestly thought this story was going to be about my father! he currently lives in columbia city and i would not be surprised if he did this. there was many a time when i was a little girl that he would shoot neighbors' dogs or cats if they came into our yard. usually with a bb gun, thankfully, but i have seen him aim a shotgun at them too.

i live three hours away from him for a reason ...

MRD
    We have neighbors next to us that are unspeakably rude. We've tried to be friendly and they just ignore us. Now I have found out from the neighbors that live behind us that have become friends that she is telling this neighbor stuff about us that is not true. She has never even spoken to us so I don't know how she can tell the other neighbor that she has had converstions with us and that we have been verbally abusive, etc. Fortunately the other neighbors have lived here much longer and they have experienced her first hand for several years and didn't believe her.

I am wondering should I say anything, let it go or what? I'd love to put up a privacy fence, but that isn't an option at this time. I don't want to have a neighborhood fued either, but she now stands at her door and watches us when we are outside. (they also all came out and watched us when we were moving in. Just stood there and watched, never waved or said hello or anything. We waved and they turned around and went back inside).

I know this is immature, but when I catch her standing at her door watching us, I move to that side of the yard and stand there and stare back until she closes her solid door (we all have clear glass storm doors and solid wooden doors behind them. She stands at the storm door in full view).

Any advice? Oh and the other neighbors have called code enforcement on them in the past because they do NOT take care of the exterior of their house or their yard. It looks horrible and they don't mow. I can't figure out why she has such a problem with us. We are outside often with the dogs and working in the yard or sitting on our patio, which is in full view of the front of their house as its set back much farther from the street than our house.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

They sound like idiots, and much as you would probably like to say something, I would leave it alone. All you will do is give them more ammunition if you talk to them. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing that they get under your skin, because that is what they want. In fact, I would probably kill them with kindness....I am evil like that.

I Is Stephanie
    As totally immature as I'm going to sound, I say an eye for an eye.

Like, don't trash them to your neighbors or anything--they can handle that by themselves--but I'd say that you should keep staring back at her when she looks at you, and, if she's ever outside, stare at her until she's uncomfortable.

If you can't seem to do this I'd recomend hiring a few teenage boys, they don't ask for a lot of money, and can be very intimidating. If you want, I've got a couple of buddies that I could probably let go for a year or so...we've started a "Send Eric back to AHS fund" at my school (AHS is his regional school), and I'm more then sure that we could re-group so that it could be turned into a "Send Eric far, far away fund" just as easily (with this kid, the only truely safe distance is on Pluto). He's definitely intimidating...and just stupid enough that it would all too easy to scam him out of a few bucks.

Or call a neighborhood meeting in your house, where all the neighbors are invited except them, see if this is a problem that is personal to you, or if it's peeving everybody as much as you. From there, is it is a major issue, discuss what everyone has been doing, and if there's anything that can be done to avoid the situation. If they should show up in the middle of the meeting, tell them that they wouldn't be interested in it, as it goes against their values, much like Homer Simpson on The Simpsons..."Uh...no Flanders...We're having a meeting...of the gay witches...for abortion...nothing you'd be interested in!"

Or, if that fails, there's probably something somewhere in what they're doing that is illegal. Maybe harassment...public disturbance? I don't know. If they really are breaking code, there's probably only so many chances they get before it gets more serious, just keep turning them in, and sooner or later, something will be done.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

11sstephanie, those kind of tactics may work when you're younger, but adults should be able to make more mature decisions, especially if they plan to live in the neighborhood for any length of time. MRD, if I were you, I'd turn a deaf ear and blind eye to them. It sounds like you've made friends in the neighborhood, and that they are 'on' to her, so I'd say you're way ahead in this ridiculous game of hers. I agree with Canuck and vote for taking the high road.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I don't think we want to see MRD as a Current Events topic - "Woman hires teen thugs to bully neighbours". I agree that ignoring them is the best thing to do. It's unfortunate they don't look after their home - I worked with a woman whose neighbours have constant loud parties, throw beer bottles over the fence onto their lawn, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. I've also had lousy neighbours and honestly, the only solution is to either find a way to live with it, report them if they're doing something flagrantly illegal, or pretend they don't exist. Your neighbour will tire of her silly staring game eventually - I know that's not much reassurance at this point but at least you have the other neighbours on your side.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I Is Stephanie
    So maybe I was joking about the teenagers. But I still think that one of the best things to do would be to see what other people are doing about them, and decide what seems to be working/not working.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: How Are Your Neighbors?

I, myself, would continue to stare back at her when I saw her looking at me through the glass door!!! Just to get my point across that "I see you wench and I'm going to give you a dose of your own medicine"...but then again I can be a bitch sometimes too!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread