+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: How Are Your Neighbors?

My neighborhood is a mixture of homes, mobile home parks, and mobile homes on property. We live in a mobile home on property that my in-laws own. Our immediate neighbor is a family member. A nice older couple and at least one of their grown kids and some grandkids live on one side and on the other side is a family renting another mobile home from my in-laws. We don't talk to our neighbors much because we all have sizable land and aren't right up next to each other. But we do the waving thing and the occasional talk if we're at the mailbox at the same time. Our neighbors across the street are older and the wife has had some medical issues. We talk to them from time to time but for the most part everyone keeps to themselves.

My street is a long one and ranges from drug addicts to nice normal people. I try not to find out who is which. We live and let live and since we have family right by us, we at least have someone we can trust for emergencies.

Oh and since we live in a country atmosphere, fireworks go off year round and the occasional gun (target practice on non-humans and non-animals I hope). We've had fires here and there throughout the neighborhood but since no hydrants, a pumper truck has to go back and forth. But for the most part it's quiet and close to shopping without being in a neighborhood where everyone can see in your window because the houses are that close. I much prefer a little distance between houses.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-18-2006 at 08:19 AM.

All the houses around me are for sale... a newly built small home on one side, an older home with a barn that was built before the town realized it had erroneously issued a building permit and made the people sell their horses or move (they moved), and a rental house across the street that has had a series of seedy tenants. I wish the house catty-corner from me would sell. They have loud parties late into the night and I've had to call the police on them.
    Count your blessings!

Oh...and I didn't mention the jerks across the street...thankfully 2 of them have moved but one jerk is still there and another one moved in...in the other ones place! I can't win!

My next door neighbor, the one who burns her garbage, told me the other day that she is having to sell and move. She is a widow and her brother lived with her and helped with the bills. He died a couple of weeks ago so now she can't make it. I really hate to see her leave because other than the garbage thing, we get along really well. We've both been here for 26 years.

MRD
    Well, we're having the neighbor over for dinner tomorrow night. His SO and their 2 dogs have gone to visit relatives up north for 10 days, so he's bacheloring it. He was so grateful to be asked over to eat. I don't think he's been eating well with her gone. He's about 30 and she's 27. ANyway, we really like them. We don't have any other neighbors except way down the street. Still a lot of unbuilt on lots (heavily wooded which is nice) around us. But we are moving before anyone builds anyway. Just hate to give up these neighbors as they are also willing to watch our dogs for us when we go out of town. And they let us use their pool. How great is THAT?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm sorry to hear that, Muduh. It's hard to find good neighbors. If you only had one issue with her, I'd consider her a good one. I hope whoever moves in will be good to you.

This is the best neighborhood I've lived in (as far as neighbors go) since I lived with my parents. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves (which is my idea of heaven ), but they wave hello and are friendly when you talk to them. And none of them are drug-dealers, late night partiers, nosey, spouse-beaters, uncaring parents, or bad pet owners (at least not publically). All of which I've lived next to at some point or another in my life.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 06-18-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

When we lived in town my house seemed to be the meeting place and was full a good deal of the time. My husband always worked a really early shift and most of theirs didn't go in for another two or three hours, so they had much more free time than I did. When we moved out here I purposely didn't get the coffee thing going because I had had enough of that. We are all friendly but don't actually visit unless we're needed. And believe me, there have been several times when some of us have been needed.

I think that's the best kind of neighbor, Muduh. Someone you can call in an emergency, but not someone that's going to be knocking on your door every day wanting to chat. I'm a pretty private sort of person and I feel invaded when I have neighbors that are *too* friendly. I don't mind occasional social visits, but there have been some neighbors that made me want to hide under my bed when I saw them coming.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

anemone: That is a horrific story of neighbors because it involves their pets. Both the bunnies, and the dogs. I can't imagine having that happen to me or around me. I'm amazed there are some charges laid and or lawsuit pending.

-----------

My neighbor just dropped by and gave me a present!! Both my house and her house have purple/mauve trim... I had it first. She copied ME. But I digress.

She bought me a BIG PURPLE metal GECKO to hang outside on my house. She has one just like it too. We had a nice little chat about the neighborhood, her folks, my folks, et al.

I have to think of a name for Him. The gecko. Yes, it's a him. And I think I'll rotate him around the veranda and gate over the summer to drive the neighbors crazy. (moving him every week or so)
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I think that's the best kind of neighbor, Muduh. Someone you can call in an emergency, but not someone that's going to be knocking on your door every day wanting to chat. I'm a pretty private sort of person and I feel invaded when I have neighbors that are *too* friendly. I don't mind occasional social visits, but there have been some neighbors that made me want to hide under my bed when I saw them coming.
    My best friend in the neighborhood lives across the street and we talk on the phone almost every day. We haven't seen each other face to face in probably a year or more.

Well you may remember how I told you all about hiding from her alcoholic son. I like him a lot when he's sober, but that has gotten to be so seldom that I prefer not to fool with him any more. Besides that, I've become a little fearful of him since he got a head injury a couple of years ago. He's a very different person now. He also has seizures now and I have visions of him taking a tumble down my high, brick steps.

+ Reply to Thread