+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Will you marry me?

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

Will you marry me?

No not me silly...

This year has been weird....I've been surrounded by an unusual number of weddings and proposals this year and now a co-worker is currently shopping for a ring and wedding gowns etc. Anyway, call me sappy and sentimental, but I want to hear about your proposal stories. You know, how the question was popped.

Also, since diamonds are a girl's best friend , did you have input on the ring or did your honey surprise you? (For guys, did you get input or did you surprise her?)

*grabs box of tissues*
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Camping. Middle of nowhere. No one around for miles. Somewhere around 11 pm (we never bring a watch camping). Sitting watching the fire. Takes my hand leads me down to this huge rock by the lake. Light drizzle starts to fall. Holds both my hands and says "I want you to be my wife, forever. Will you marry me?" Tears ensue. "Of course I will, I Love you" I manage to get out. (Well, that and a whole lotta )

Takes my hand and leads me back up the path to the fire. Gets down on his knees in front of me "Of course, I also need to ask you - I want to adopt Emma" (Not really a question, but...) More tears ensue. Nodding. , etc etc etc.

No ring.

He said he had been waiting to ask me, but didn't want to without a ring, but then he decided he couldn't wait, the night was so perfect.....and I reminded him the only ring I wanted from him was a wedding band

We had previously talked about what we both liked (well, mostly what I liked ) and I let him know that I didnt' need a diamond - its just not important to me...I'd much rather use the money on the house / save it for our cabin by the lake.....

We ended up getting these really cool matching wedding bands. Kinda pricey for wedding bands, but at least that way we BOTH got something nice.

. Not everyone's idea of completely romantic, but it sure was for me .
    Last edited by ADKLove; 10-05-2005 at 11:09 AM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Oh ADK, that is such a beautiful story.

Mine is definitely NOT romantic at all. We were on our way home from dinner (lived with my parents at the time) and he took my hand and took a promise ring off that he gave me. Handed me the ring and said put this on He is definitely not a romantic at all. I told him what I liked, but he picked it out. Very surprised too because I was afraid he would take his mom and she has horrible taste.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hey guys - great stories! How long did you all date before you got engaged? I've been with my boyfriend 3 years and still nothing. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by itravel94
    Hey guys - great stories! How long did you all date before you got engaged? I've been with my boyfriend 3 years and still nothing. Not that I'm counting or anything.

We started dating in high school, so probably about 6 years. I was still in college when we got engaged and wanted to finish my education, so we were engaged a long time LOL
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

My sweetie and I had been dating a little over 3 years. It was Christmas time - my favorite time of year. He had asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told him wanted to learn to sew, so a sewing machine would be a great gift.

So, Christmas Eve, 1983, he arrives at my parent's party with several packages. He puts a rather large box down with a big THUD. As we are opening gifts, he presents me with this big box. I open it up, and it was a Kenmore sewing machine.
    I said "GREAT!!!" I went on to the next box, and
    he said "Don't you think you should check it out to make sure it is the exact one you want?"
    I said - "maybe later."
    So, I opened a few more gifts, and he waited patiently. I looked over at him, and sensed he was a bit disappointed in my reaction, so I decided to open my sewing machine up and inspect it. I picked up the box - which **weighed a ton - and carried it to the dining room table. When I opened the top, there were lots of ribbons, and in the center was a little box containing a diamond ring. He looked at me, tears glistening in his eyes and said "I love you so much. Will you please be my wife?" I was screaming and jumping up and down. My parents were both crying - and I grabbed him and gave him a big ol' kiss.
    He then said "Well, does that mean yes?"
    I said "Of course!"
    My dad then said "Good - cuz if you would have said no, I would have considered dumping your mom, and marrying him myself. He is a the kind of guy you dream your daughter will find someday. I couldn't be happier for you guys."

Tomorrow, Oct. 6, we will celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. I have been blessed BIG TIME and he is STILL the apple of my
    eye.

**Footnote - the box did not actually contain a sewing machine. He had used an empty Kenmore box his mom had, and put 3 gallon jugs of water in the box for weight to throw me off.

Oh Ana, what a great story. Wish my hubby would have been a little more romantic LOL....good for you guys and

Happy Anniversary.....may you continue to have a life full of love

Awww, great stories! And great idea, Igotalife! I love this stuff! We were at my apartment watching Dallas Stars hockey on New Year's Eve! He had burned me a CD with lots of "love songs" that he'd given to me earlier that night. The first song was Shania Twain's "From This Moment". I, of course, didn't know he was going to propose so I kept getting up (to the bathroom, to get dessert, etc.) I wondered why he kept restarting the song. Finally, as we were laying on the floor watching the game, he said , "Here, you can have this" and handed me the ring. He still teases me because I then asked, "Is this real?" His plan was to wait until midnight but he was too nervous and couldn't wait. He only made it to 10:30!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    . He still teases me because I then asked, "Is this real?"
    Well, you've got to know what you are getting into first.

Such sweet stories, everyone.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

My husband decided to trick me into thinking this was it about six times before he finally did (romantic sunsets at lakes, reliving our first date, etc). I knew it was coming at some point (dating since freshman year of college, this was the summer before our last (fifth) year and we had talked about getting married after school) and I found out later he knew that and was totally messing with me. Freaked me out because I thought he kept losing his nerve, until a year or so ago (we've been married nine years) he "advised" a friend of his who was going to pop the question to try this approach of fake outs.

When he finally did it, it was a picnic in a park next to a stream (complete with extra bread for the ducks). He pulled out a tupperware container and shook it and said "what is this??" It COMPLETELY sounded like a ring box so I got all excited. Nope, two big chocolate chip cookies wrapped in foil. I got so bummed (on the inside, I never let on he was bringing me down with all his fake proposal settings) and started feeding the ducks. This gave him time to cue up the walkman with the little speaker instead of headphones with our song, take out the REAL ring box and ask me "will you please stand up, otherwise the down on one knee thing will just be silly" I'm sure there was more questions than that, but I got kinda emotional
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast