+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: get a job advice?

So GIz, interested people want an update - how did the interview go? Did you bake?

giz
    Hi, I just heard back, and didn't get the job. Boo! They claimed it was very close, wish they had more than one job to offer etc. They quite possibly say that sort of bollocks to everyone who's rejected though. Still, I'll try next time something comes up and see what happens. Can't hurt. Humph.

I'm just getting fairly tired of having umpteen jobs, and would like to bring it down to one, or even two. Wish I knew why they didn't go with me, I know my references were great, and I was definetely qualified for this one. Could have been an internal candidate (keep telling myself that). The interview was odd, nothing about me, per se. Just "how would you react to this situation" sort of thing. Nothing about my experience, where I wanted the job to go etc. I've never had an interview like that before. I guess I'm back to creating my own jobs. Oh well.

p.s. because it was so oddly impersonal there was no chance for bribing with baking.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Wish I knew why they didn't go with me, I know my references were great, and I was definetely qualified for this one. Could have been an internal candidate (keep telling myself that). The interview was odd, nothing about me, per se. Just "how would you react to this situation" sort of thing. Nothing about my experience, where I wanted the job to go etc. I've never had an interview like that before. I guess I'm back to creating my own jobs. Oh well.

p.s. because it was so oddly impersonal there was no chance for bribing with baking.
    giz - Do you think it would be wrong for you to inquire why you didn't get the job?

Has anyone else here ever done that - asked for feedback from their interviewer?

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by itravel94
    giz - Do you think it would be wrong for you to inquire why you didn't get the job?

Has anyone else here ever done that - asked for feedback from their interviewer?
    That's what I was thinking. But they would probably just say "Oh you were great, but we had to do x or go with y." Ie not tell you anything of value. Hmmm. to giz. It'll happen.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    Thanks for the hug! I think you're right CCL, they wouldn't tell me, especially if it was because they have to take the internal candidate. Also privacy issues are pretty big here (privacy legislation and all). In the interview I asked how many people they were interviewing, and they wouldn't even tell me that. It depends on the work site, I think sometimes they might say "the other person was more qualified in respect to x", but as I'm very well qualified, it wasn't that. They couldn't really say "the other person just seemed nicer, smelled better, had cleaner fingernails"*, and the only other reason that comes to mind is the internal hiring preference thing.

*joking, am actually very clean and fluffy.

Giz - you never know! I remember my first interview in manhattan for a nice job. They actually said during the interview that I was the 'perfect candidate' and I went home happy. Then I didn't get it! So I wrote a nice letter thanking them again for their time and asking what skills I should focus on improving to work with their company. The guy I interviewed with e-mailed me an apology, saying that he was forced to take an (either internal candidate or bosses relative, many moons ago). it won't hurt! And if you do it in the guise of wanting to improve yourself to work for them, positive relations and all that, you might be remembered later on down the line.

Now that I got a new job, I need to submit my resignation to my current employer...should I do it at the end of the day or first thing in the morning?

How do I open the conversation? Help!!

giz
    I'd tell him in the morning. Get it out of the way. Don't burn your bridges, something like "I've really enjoyed working here, but another opportunity has come up...". You'll always need him for a reference.

Unemployed

Is there a thread realted to job searching on here? I don't think I'm working the Search feature correctly.

Anyway, I just wanted to post that job searching is so annoying. I typically do not have trouble landing a job, but once I land one something always seems to happen in my life to take me out of it. (Typically my husband moving me around the country).

I think I have fallen for three scams in the last week and its so annoying, usually I can pick them out in the ads but they are getting better at it...grrrr

I'm toying with the idea of real estate since my last job was in property management. I'm too old to be making these kinds of decisions!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

giz
    Sounds like you need to only go with companies you recognise if scamming is a problem for you. Real estate can be hard at first, I gather, but potentially very lucrative.

I'm still waiting for the job I want to get posted again. Where I want to work does it hiring in July/August. I check a bunch of job sites almost daily to see what's been posted, but it's almost always either full-time stuff or jobs requiring all sorts of computer experience which I don't have. I'm really really really not ready to work full-time as a) the kids have had enough upset without me being gone every day from 8 til 5, and b) I do not want to become my job, and want to have time for the kids and our home.

I went to a library the other day to interview the librarian for a library tech course I"m taking (upgrading). I almost got a job there last autumn (different from ideal library job of shelf-stacking, this okay library job would involve a little more thinking and people time than I want, but I'd still go for it). She was really warm and kept referring to the woman in one of the 2 positions I could do as "that one"! So I guess they don't get along. Not sure I want to get on her bad side, but to be fair, "that one" does look a misery-boots. If she quits I'd have a good chance at her job, especially since I'm almost there with the qualifications I lacked last time. So biding my time doing the cleaning, basically. I think I can take about one more year of maid work, then I'm out of it. I'm sure those cleaning chemicals aren't good for me, but it's too expensive to go with natural products. Plus I'm not liking the physicality of the job anymore, plus I'm not liking cleaning other people's toilets anymore. The thrill is gone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast