+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: get a job advice?

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    I'm sorry you didn't the job, but glad something better is on the horizon. I like the "brain-free" requirement. I'm wondering if it would be mean for me to apply as well. Yeah, I know, it would be one heck of a commute.

I am also looking for a new job. My secret weapon has (surprisingly) been my crush surprisingly because he has a contact that I did not know about. I mentioned a conversation I had with someone about a potential job and it turns out he's good friends with her.

Anyway, I wish you much luck, Giz. Free exercise, benefits, coffee, good pay- it sounds wonderful! (Psst- just don't lie about your coffee experience. If you have never drank decaf don't say you have! :nono) You are a very intellegent woman and I know you will do great at whatever you end up doing!
    It's funny how many people want a brain-free job. It's the jobs in the middle I hate. Where it's not intellectually stimulating, but where you have to concentrate on nonsense that bores you rigid. This is perfect, I could daydream while working, and being paid. Might still be a remote chance of getting hired, but at least I'm making progress with them!

Good luck with your job thing. Who you know helps so much. I guess it makes you stand out, and makes them see you as a real person.

Thanks for the last paragraph. Making me laugh AND buoying up my ego is pretty good return! I'm not sure about the exercise benefits from wheeling around the cart, but with the price of gas, I think I'll put the bike on the (front of) the bus going to work, and bike home. That'll cover my exercise for the day. (I don't think I could release an exercise video based on - picture me smiling with teeth while wearing yoga pants - push cart, lift book, shelve:repeat. Push cart, lift book, shelve:repeat! Everybody do it with me now!)

CCL
    Good luck to both of you, giz & Jennifer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Good luck to both of you! I'm off to post in the good news thread that my job is now official The company had only put in to create my position a week ago, but they caught me updating my resume, so I got my first raise and they pushed the paperwork through super fast All w/out ever looking at my resume - which goes back to my original statement, it's who you are and who you know not what you know.

So good luck Giz, and smile like an idiot during the interview! People like people who smile, they also like non-threatening people, and everyone loves an idiot - just look at the 'trouble with my relationship' thread! (joking, a bit)

*sending my bestest get a job wishes to Giz and Jen*

Glitter

Thanks, CCL!

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    It's funny how many people want a brain-free job. It's the jobs in the middle I hate. Where it's not intellectually stimulating, but where you have to concentrate on nonsense that bores you rigid. This is perfect, I could daydream while working, and being paid. Might still be a remote chance of getting hired, but at least I'm making progress with them!
    Well, the job I'm looking at would be a programmer position , so I guess it's not really brain-free, but that still sounds heavenly. I don't mind thinking if it's something I'm interested in, as you said said.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Thanks for the last paragraph. Making me laugh AND buoying up my ego is pretty good return! I'm not sure about the exercise benefits from wheeling around the cart, but with the price of gas, I think I'll put the bike on the (front of) the bus going to work, and bike home. That'll cover my exercise for the day. (I don't think I could release an exercise video based on - picture me smiling with teeth while wearing yoga pants - push cart, lift book, shelve:repeat. Push cart, lift book, shelve:repeat! Everybody do it with me now!)
    I'm such an idiot! I didn't go back and re-read previous posts so for some reason I got the idea (I guess because of the coffee comment and pushing the cart) that you would be pushing a coffee cart around campus. But, hey, crazier exercise videos have been done.

Good luck to both of you, Jen and Giz.

Giz, I'd kill to have a library job myself. I worked in the school library when I was in high school a hundred years ago, and I always got first choice when the new books came in. I wouldn't call it a brain-free job, because I'd be cracking open every book to see what it was about. Maybe stress free. The local library only pays minimum wage to assistants, though, and that wouldn't even pay for my cigs and coffee. The head librarian has been there since I was a kid (and I'm in my mid forties) and I don't think she'll ever retire - and even if she did I don't have a degree in library science! Soo, it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm rather tired of my job. I just keep telling myself only 11 years to retirement!

Anyway, good luck to all the job seekers out there. May you find the job of your dreams at a decent salary!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

giz
    Our local library has unionised desk clerks (reasonable pay) and non-union pages (shelvers, terrible pay). The job I want is at the University (union). I wouldn't be reading, cause that gets you fired! I've been working with books long enough to have that trained out of me. I'm really good at remembering titles though, so at breaktime might be making some lists of things to check out! And there will lots of smiling going on, cause I'm thrilled to be interviewed. I was wondering how I could drop into the conversation that I like to bake and could bring them cookies. "Why should we hire you?" "Because I'd bring you cookies."

Congratulations, Glitter!

Giz - I brought in cookies the day I told them I wanted helath benefits to stay, and I also mentioned there could be more to come Even better, the manager is a cat lover - I made cat shaped sugar cookies with an orange glaze. Cookies are good for getting jobs, and never be above bribery!

Maybe there is an eau de baking perfume, or make something right before the interview and put some aromatic beauties in your purse. Scents are powerful tools!

Here's another line I used that got me a previous job, when they asked 'Do you have any more questions?" I said Yes - "How can I convince you to stop your interviews right now and realize I'm the right person for this job." A little ballsy, but it worked for that job.

giz
    Interesting. I asked my husband today if there's a polite way to say (in response to that old job interview chestnut: why should we hire you?) "You should hire me because it's unlikely you will find someone more qualified." He said that would be unspeakably arrogant, but I do wish there was some way to put it nicely as I feel it's true. I am hugely qualified for the job. He said to say "... because I'm qualified.", but I feel that's unspeakably dull. Obviously from your experience, sometimes ballsy works.

giz, maybe you should tell them "Well, I'm very well qualified....AND I like to bake cookies to bring to work on occasion. Seriously. They will remember the funny remark out of the parade of well-qualified people, I bet. Just remember, if you do go back for another interview, take some samples.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

giz, if you can get away with it, why not try the cookie line ~and~ the "because I'm all that" line.

Interviewer: Why should I hire you?
    giz: Because I make the best chocolate chip cookies. (laughs) After all, that's the really important stuff in life, right? Seriously, you should hire me because it is so tough to find someone who is not only qualified, but fits in with the company culture. (Mention a few specific things you like about the company/workplace and how your skills can help them.)

Glitternerfball is right that having chutpah can be a good thing, but if that isn't who you are, or if it rubs the interviewer the wrong way for some reason, it could backfire. For example, I agree with your husband (that would be arrogant), but for someone else that might be the very thing that gets you the job! I say just be yourself, because you don't want to work at a place where you have to be fake to fit in, or never feel like you truly belong. Trust me on this! I know... We are all different, and there is a reason for that- you are going to find that little niche that feels like home.

ETA: I took so long to type my reply that queenb said it first! We MUST be right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast