+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: get a job advice?

CCL
    Bras by Stalin. Now there's a boss who you wouldn't want to interview with.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    Update: one of the jobs I really wanted (one for which I was overqualified), was posted as starting today, and I rang (again) to find out if they'd started interviews and they said "not til next week". The personnel department must be somewhat overwhelmed, cause they are driving me crazy!

Also, a job I interviewed for (last Monday) asked me on Thursday for more references (which I delivered the same day). They were interviewing 3 people. Should I call them and ask if they've decided yet? I guess I'll know when they know, but the suspense is killing me. (Almost literally, it's really aggravating my heartburn). Why would it take so long (if they wanted to check my references, they are all in town and available)?

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Also, a job I interviewed for (last Monday) asked me on Thursday for more references (which I delivered the same day). They were interviewing 3 people. Should I call them and ask if they've decided yet? I guess I'll know when they know, but the suspense is killing me. (Almost literally, it's really aggravating my heartburn). Why would it take so long (if they wanted to check my references, they are all in town and available)?
    I would wait until Friday morning to call. That way they had a whole week to contact references.

Unfortunately, it might be taking long because they are checking references for you and the other candidates as well.

giz
    Thanks itravel, that should help me hold out til Friday. You're right, I should give them time. I know they're checking everyone's references, but I still don't see why it takes this long! How long can it take to make 10 or so phone calls? I just want to stop thinking about it and move on.

CCL
    It might depend on how much other work they have to do. If they need someone, which we know they do because they've advertised the position, they're probably trying to cover that position in the meantime themselves and then they have to take time out from the duties of that position, and also from their regular duties, to check references and determine who is the best candidate for the job they are attempting to cover so that they can fill it and then go back to doing just their own jobs and have more free time to do things like look over references. If you know what I mean. It's hard but you'll have to be a bit patient. I think itravel is right when he/she says to wait until Friday. Good luck and take care in the meantime!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Hey, just read through this thing - and as a fellow job seeker, must post my 2cents.

When speaking to a very respected actor in Canada once he told me the secret to getting a job (acting or otherwise) Lie with confidence, but have the knowledge to back it up. If you have used numerous computer programs, you can use a mac. I wouldn't put it on my resume (well, I would because I have used both platforms) but definately list all the programs you know, non platform specific - and if they ask if you know mac, say you are familiar with it but have used PC more often, however you learn quickly. Don't say you haven't used a Mac. Working with kids you have time management skills, can multi-task, organizational skills, management and bookkeeping experience, etc. You have vast knowledge of the internet and experience writing (FORT posts).

Jobs are incredibly hard to find, and good ones even harder. I have a company that is in the process of creating a job for me (I actually had to write my own job description ) Once it is finalized, I will chronicle the whole saga in the good news thread. But it is in an area I have NEVER thought of or worked in before (financial analyst) and have no experience. however, I have moxie, communication skills (which they said is what they really wanted) and am personable. I got them to do this through my 'spirited nature' as in, I was on a temp assignment for three weeks, they wanted me longer - I said they'd have to hire me or at least pay for my health insurance. I also told them I was interviewing at other places and they better act fast. They did.

Maybe temping would work for you Giz? It gets your foot in the door. I know of few people that have a permenant job that wasn't first an intern or a temp (except for some of my former jobs).

In the end, it's who you are more than what you know - so get big shoes and start stomping them around!

giz
    thanks for that, Glitter. I agree on a bunch of points. Moxie is very important. My husband said to stop ringing the university to see if they'd interviewed yet, and I said "you know what? They aren't hiring me, with me being well-behaved and waiting for them, so what have I got to lose going the pest route?"

I'm trying to utilise the who-you-know route. Bringing up any and all connections to the job of my desire. Temping would be too hard right now, as I'd have to arrange at-the-last-minute daycare. I used to temp, and got a job out of it. Right now, I think crossing fingers is my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    It might depend on how much other work they have to do.
    Yeah, we tend to think something is really easy, but it depends on what else is going on. I have days where I don't even get to task 1 because of all the interruptions.

Glitter, love your post. I'm gonna get me some of that moxie!

giz
    Just thought I'd update everyone. I didn't get the job I'd interviewed for *FA Edit* I'm fairly pleased anyway though, as I got really close, and apparently the decision wasn't unanimous (I think it's wierd they told me that). Anyhoo, I was not really pleased about working full-time, so dodged that bullet for a little while more. In the meantime the job I really yearn for is interviewing this coming week, so every send me their good thoughts. Sigh, good pay, benefits, quiet, good coffee on campus, brain-free. Basically wheeling cart from area A to B. Dream job. No ambition, me. Shouldn't even think too loudly about it, as it might curse me.
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 10-15-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: removed personal comment

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Just thought I'd update everyone. I didn't get the job I'd interviewed for *FA Edit*. I'm fairly pleased anyway though, as I got really close, and apparently the decision wasn't unanimous (I think it's wierd they told me that). Anyhoo, I was not really pleased about working full-time, so dodged that bullet for a little while more. In the meantime the job I really yearn for is interviewing this coming week, so every send me their good thoughts. Sigh, good pay, benefits, quiet, good coffee on campus, brain-free. Basically wheeling cart from area A to B. Dream job. No ambition, me. Shouldn't even think too loudly about it, as it might curse me.
    I'm sorry you didn't the job, but glad something better is on the horizon. I like the "brain-free" requirement. I'm wondering if it would be mean for me to apply as well. Yeah, I know, it would be one heck of a commute.

I am also looking for a new job. My secret weapon has (surprisingly) been my crush (see the Relationship Challenged thread if you are curious- I'm not gonna rehash it here. ) Not surprisingly that he would help me (we're very good friends), but surprisingly because he has a contact that I did not know about. I mentioned a conversation I had with someone about a potential job and it turns out he's good friends with her. Oh, man, I hope he isn't dating her. THAT would be awkward. Anyway, he is going to chat with her (or maybe he already has), which will be a huge help because I do not have the experience and he knows how easily I learn things because he's been my unofficial mentor.

Anyway, I wish you much luck, Giz. Free exercise, benefits, coffee, good pay- it sounds wonderful! (Psst- just don't lie about your coffee experience. If you have never drank decaf don't say you have! :nono) You are a very intellegent woman and I know you will do great at whatever you end up doing!
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 10-15-2005 at 04:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast