+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: get a job advice?

giz
    Okay, besides the puffing (ducking and running from irate Pom), I've got an interview next week for a job, and the position is full-time. I've really been realising I don't want full-time (having been at home for 10 years, and gotten used to it + the house will go to rack and ruin if I'm not totally on top of it). Should I ask in the interview if they'd consider job-sharing or 4 1/2 days a week, instead of 5 full days? If I do 5 full days, and try to do 20 hours a week of course work, And try to do all the housework, and be friendly to my family I will go mad. The course will finish at the end of spring, so I could always try to do full-time after that. Not sure if it would A) put them off me if I asked in the interview, or B) seem presumptious to ask. On the other hand, I don't want to waste their time, and maybe they might like a job-share situation, but just don't know it yet.

CCL
    Hm, I think you should mention it upfront. Maybe not the very first thing (of course) but at some point during the first interview. You never know until you ask. Good luck.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    If I don't do this, I won't get interviewed, and if I do, (and by some miracle got offered the job) I could learn before the job starts. So perhaps it wasn't quite as bad as you thought. On the other hand, I have a feeling your tolerance level for liars is way below mine, so it might still make you see red. I think watching the whole Watergate summer when I was 9 has seriously affected my expectations of people's behaviour. I've lowered the bar for everyone, myself included. (I think if I was 100% straight, I'd probably still be serving fish and chips like I was when I was in high school).
    Aww, giz, come over and sit down by me *pats seat*. It's human nature to make the best of our abilities and paint ourselves in the best light that we can. I think lie is a strong word, when it's only a bit of mac experience you're fudging on. I've padded my resume - if I hadn't I'd still be working at a homeless shelter instead of at a big (not so) important government job. And if you get caught out - so what? It's not the end of the world. Chicken Little: Oh my! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fogey
    It is what it is. Why sugar coat it??

lie
    n.
    A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.

Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

Read All About It HERE

Back in my younger days, before I knew anything about anything but thought I knew everything, I applied for a job at a formal dress shop as a seamstress, during the interview she asked if I knew how to use a sewing machine, and I lied and said I did, how hard could it be? After interviewing me, she asked me to demonstrate on a sewing machine what I could do. Of course, I sat there like an idiot, proceeded to put a couple of stitches in a piece of fabric quite the wrong way. Amazingly enough, I got the job. What were they thinking? I only lasted a couple of days, I just couldn't get the hang of the darn sewing machine.
    After maturing some, and experience working in a staffing service, I don't think I would ever say I had experience on something I did not. I would put no, but I am a fast learner. If the rest of your skills and job experience are good, they will give you a chance. At the staffing service I worked at, it was rare to find someone with good, steady job experience that presented themselves well. (you'd be amazed at the amount of people that came in with their stained sweats and tshirt, not showering, with their wife and 3 children in tow)

giz
    Thanks Dinahann and CCL. Pom, I've now looked at Mac (and will go for another tutorial on the weekend), and it's not rocket science. I am confident I could do the couple of programs required with only a little explanation. I realise you feel what you feel, but I've got to say out here in the job-hunting world, when you've been at home with your kids (and out of the job market) it's easy to A)fall behind and B)be concerned about your ability to cope with the changes in the job market. I can apply for stuff until I'm blue in the face, but unless I know someone at the workplace or have done a workplacement there, the reality is I likely won't get interviewed. Where I live it is insanely competitive, as people from all over Canada want to move here. It's tough out there, and if you want to call it lying fine, and perhaps it is, but I think of it as a white lie and not the end of the world. Humph.

Looking back, I think I've already explained it, and there's no point beating a dead horse. Maybe, Pom, we could leave the issue of my dubious and dangerous morals now, and concentrate on getting me a job!

I am a little late to the discussion, but for what it's worth, I'll pipe in, too. Giz, it sounds like you learn computer related skills well, but you just don't have the skill with a Mac, is that correct? I agree with Pom in that you do not want to lie and say that you have worked with a Mac (too easy to come back and bite you). What has worked for me is to say "I have not had experience working with ".....", but I have had experience with "....." which is similar and I learn new technology quickly. I would be willing to take a class to learn the technology, and my knowledge of (insert applicable business or life skill here) will "save time/save money/improve customer service" by "(how you can improve the organization)". This puts a positive spin and lets the employer know that you are smart and willing to learn, then directs their focus to more important matters than an easily learned skill. I really like how CCL put it:

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    you should always sell your best points & cast less light on any distracting/negative elements. As long as you are not being untruthful.
    Also, depending on the job market, some employers will "shoot for the moon and see what they get", so the list of skills may be a "best case scenario" rather than hard and fast. (You should still use discretion in applying for jobs that you qualify for, but some of the easily learned skills may be more flexible. I.e. do not apply to work as a lawyer if you did not finish high school, but you can probably apply for a job using a Mac if you have had PC experience. Hope that makes sense.)

giz
    Thanks Jennifer. I've got to remind myself that it may well be a shopping list, as they know I don't have one of the skills, but I've still made the shortlist. As for the Mac, it's too late to take it back, but I can just say my use of them was short-lived, could they remind me on this point. I honestly believe that my experience with books takes years to learn, whereas Mac experience could be picked up more quickly. Ironically, I am now being inundated with students who want tutoring, so may not need the job. If I got offered it I guess I'd have to decide if I wanted it. I still think they will likely choose someone who has all the experience they are looking for, but you never know. And hey, it is close to my favourite coffee shop, and that is the most important thing. (Apologies in advance to people who find prioritising coffee over work ethic offensive, apparently I am incorrigable).

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    (Apologies in advance to people who find prioritising coffee over work ethic offensive, apparently I am incorrigable).
    They are idiots! And if you ever read the "What are you eating or drinking" thread, you will find that even my good buddy Pom will agree with you on that one!

Well, good luck. It is tough to look for a job and I must admit I am sometimes tempted to state what I know I'm CAPABLE of doing but haven't had much opportunity to do. I always feel that everyone else is padding their's and I will be overlooked if I don't do the same. I hope you really are in a position to choose whether or not to take the job. I think you are right, by the way, that your experience with books is far more valuable than working with a Mac.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that it's okay to pad your BRA but not your resume to increase your chances of getting a job. (Sorry, but someone had to lighten this thread.)

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Well, good luck. It is tough to look for a job and I must admit I am sometimes tempted to state what I know I'm CAPABLE of doing but haven't had much opportunity to do. I always feel that everyone else is padding their's and I will be overlooked if I don't do the same. I hope you really are in a position to choose whether or not to take the job.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that it's okay to pad your BRA but not your resume to increase your chances of getting a job. (Sorry, but someone had to lighten this thread.)
    Thanks, J. Lately I vascillate between thinking I could do almost anything (total Napoleon complex) and thinking it's all too much effort and I'd like to take a nap instead. Where the hell has my happy medium gone?

Lightening much appreciated! All this grinding of teeth is inadvisable until I get a job with dental benefits. Bra joke makes me think, though, we should start a bra thread. I've got a pet peeve (threadjack alert) about beautiful bras being all padded or tiny tiny, and bras for the curvy (am thin, but curvy, sort of JLO with smaller bum and no money) all look like they were designed by Stalin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast