+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking to buy a dog?

I definitely would go to the humane society or a rescue organization to get my next dog. But I still like to know what I'm looking for.

Purebreds are not only for shows. I own a purebred dog, and I got her because that breed's characteristics were exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want any surprises. That doesn't mean I don't like mixed breeds. I love all dogs, purebred or mixed. But if I want a purebred, I'll get one from the rescue organizations or the spca.

*edited typo

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Just because a dog is a purebred doesn't mean he/she is any less in need of a home and love.

My dog happens to be a purebred -- a purebred who was abandoned and living alone in the woods for god knows how long. A purebred who got heartworm, was 20 lbs underweight, and was found in the woods near death.

Fortunately he was rescued by the Golden retriever rescue league (which is an organization I am very active in), and we were blessed with the opportunity to adopt him.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fanatic
    I have two purebreds, and two mixes; I was referring to people going out and buying a dog when so many need homes already. Both my purebreds are adoptees. I do swear by mixed breeds' soundness, though; the vast majority of "purebred" dogs are genetic horrors.

Also, if you know how to evaluate a dog's personality, you won't get any surprises regardless of whether you have a mixed or purebred.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I got my basset from a rescue of sorts. the wife knew a couple who owned her, they needed to find a place to move too because the basset was killing the grass when she peed. so we took her in, for a month, they had her on a gravel patch so whe wouldn't kill the grass and chained up. poor thing, well long story short, they never could find a place to live, he got a DUI and they moved to another state, gave us the dog and her papers. I do beleive the spoiled one loves it here more, she has run of the yard and house and I take her out to the desert to run each weekend.

FORT Fogey
    I bought my purebred yorkie from a breeder because I wanted a very tiny one and I got one and she is a delight!

I also bought my sheltie from a breeder because I wanted a sheltie for all the things that make them a sheltie,, and again he is a delight. Breeder or Humane society glad we can all get what we want!

Originally posted by firegirl
    Breeder or Humane society, glad we can all get what we want!
    Amen to that!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Buckminster Fuller is an awesome name Joeguy. Is that because he is going to be round or because he is the center of the universe ( like bucky balls)
    My dog came from a breeder , but through the "back door" Their girlie dog went on a little tear at 9 months, and 11 puppies later (no Kidding) .Since they weren't quite sure what they were , they couldn't sell them. We love him anyway, though I'm not quite sure he knows he's a dog.

I had a friend who worked at our local SPCA ,and she said if you were looking for a certain type or even size etc of dog(cat) , to call ,they take your name and will call you back if one comes in.Of course it doesn't work if you want the dog yesterday.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    It's going to be because he will run around and think he is the center of the universe, all of my dogs do. its a tough job to make each one think they are the top dog though.

Originally posted by Jill
    Don't forget all the pound puppies that need homes! I have been banned from animal shelters because I will seriously bring them all home. There's no need to buy a purebred unless you want to show it - my mixed breed is literally the best dog in the world.
    The best dog I ever had was a $25 pound puppy. He was a yellow lab and something else mix. He was gentle and sweet and had a bark that meant business. In all the time we had him(10yrs), he only bit one person(my crazy aunt who reached for my mom and startled her and him). He never wanted anyone to get hurt. If you started clapping your hands he would put his entire head in between them cause he thought they were hurting each other. What a good dog Murphy was. I am really missing him today.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast