+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking to buy a dog?

FORT Fanatic
    I'd love to show my Rottie in agility since he's past the age for a SAR dog, but I hate that they have to go through those stupid poles. That can't be too good for the joints of a big dog. Also every agility trainer I've ever met wants to do clicker training, which I think is dumb! My dog sure can jump though....My shepherd mix is tearing it up in SAR; he should have both his wilderness and disaster certs within a few months. What a hero! It's annoying to have to get a disaster cert but that's what the team requires. Avalanche work is fun too but for the time being I'm stuck in a place with hardly any hills, let alone avalanches!

I like watching the dog show, but I have to change the channel when the toy group comes out. Those rat dogs just bug me, especially when they have so much hair you can't see their feet, and horrible bug eyes and smashed noses. Yuck.

Originally posted by firegirl
    Illi, I love your av is it a sheltie? I have a sheltie too his name is Kipper he is the sweetest best disposition. Our little 2lb yorkie just leads him around and he protects her and watches out for her and just plays so sweet w/her and she is always right in his face. It is soooo funny!
    Yep he is a sheltie. His name is Laddie(mom named him before I got him) and I do have a Yorkie too. She gives him hell when he goes chasing planes. They also play rough together too, the Yorkie doesn't back down at all.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    hey bro, see your on, I'm taking a break at work, the other guy didn't show up so it's al on me again.

I may get a sheltie next year, already got his name picked out.....Buckminster Fuller......the wife thinks I'm nuts

FORT Fogey
    isn't it funny how the yorkies act! mine play that way too,, she ends up all wet from being slobbered by the big dog it is funny!She is the aggressor!

My wife watched some of this today, and came in here with a list of dogs she wanted me to look up

We've eliminated most of them, but while we were looking, we found the Keeshond which we both really liked. It's like a multi-colored Chow.

FORT Fogey
    My Uncle has keeshonds they are good dogs more like a husky. Tons of fur!! Lots of shedding but they are sweet. He has a white one which is gorgeous and soooo sweet. They are usually sort of a solid color except around the eyes it looks like they have a mask on sort of... sweet dogs much the same tempermant as a husky. Active too!

I grew up with a Chow Chow, and my wife wants a somewhat smaller dog than the one we have now (at 100 pounds or so).

The nice thing about keeshonds is that they only shed twice a year, but when they go, they drop their entire undercoat over a 2-3 week period. Hair everywhere. Other than that, they're very much non-shedders. The other nice thing is that they're not barkers, they're good with kids, and they're pretty low-energy.

FORT Fogey
    Yes,, if you want something smaller,, you might really consider a sheltie,, I am an owner and I know many who have them swear by them for the 2x a year shed, but they make excellent family members, they play so well with kids,, very very smart but they are also recommended as apartment dogs because of their size and ability to adapt w/out barking etc... they will be high energy or low depending on your life style. Unlike a border collie they don't NEED to be worked.
    I can't say enough good things about shelties,, I grew up w/one and have one now. She practically babysits my daughter when she is out back and loves the little dog and their whole reason for living is to please their people. Our dog will refuse a treat over petting and praise anyday!

I have a little shih tzu (see pic) and she is the BEST dog ever!! I got her in August and she is so sweet, very affectionate and doesn't shed and barking is minimal.

We did a lot of research before we got her and I think that is what makes all the difference, we knew what we wanted and picked a dog that matched. We tried the clicker training and I agree it is dumb, it only worked for "sit", and that's all.

The only thing I don't like about the breed is the long hair, so I keep mine in a puppy cut. I saw a small part of the dog show last night and the way the shih tzu was running around and then flopped down is exactly what mine does, soooo cute!
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

FORT Fanatic
    Don't forget all the pound puppies that need homes! I have been banned from animal shelters because I will seriously bring them all home. There's no need to buy a purebred unless you want to show it - my mixed breed is literally the best dog in the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast