+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Kids

High School Kids

OK, I think I post about this every time I sub at the high school, but................
    I LOVE these kids. I realize we live in a small town (The graduating class will have about 100 kids), but it is SO refreshing to be able to go into that school and know I'm going to have a great subbing day.
    Today I did half a day and the teacher was still there when I arrived. He apologized to me because he had planned on having a movie to take up about an hour of the 1 1/2 hour class. He wound up not having it and informed me that I'd have to "wing it" because he really had to go.
    We played pictionary for a while to help them study their recognition of lab equipment. It was SO fun and the kids were really having a good time. Then I gave them the last ten minutes to just talk quietly/read/study/do homework from other classes etc.
    I had misplaced a stack of papers and said to this girl "I'm such a loser." She gasped and I said "No, because I keep losing things." She then said "Oh, good 'cuz I was like, don't call yourself a loser, you're not a loser".
    I thought she was so cute!
    The kids were all so nice, respectful and fun. There is hope for the future... at least in my neck of the woods
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Teenagers often have the reputation of being smart mouthed slackers so it's always good to hear the other side of the argument.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    That is super, Cali. I'm moving to your neighborhood.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Wow! This is high school???

Teenagers....Smart-mouthed slackers!

Actually, we have 2 kids across the street from us who are extremely well-behaved and polite. One of them's 17, and the other's 13. Many is the morning that I'd wake up to find they've snow-blowed the driveway for me (along with my elderly neighbor lady next door), even though I'm in my early 30's and own a snowblower myself. And they won't take any money for it, either.

While we spent almost 2 years in Florida, they kept up mowing my lawn while I was gone...I'd send them money periodically, but what would have stopped them from taking the money and not doing the work? We would never have known, right? But, they did it, every week.

There is hope for teenagers....Some of them!

labtech
    My god-daughter is 14 and she is one of the sweetest-well mannered kids I know. She loves everybody and is great with our boys. I wish all kids was a good as she is. Maybe there is hope.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    My daughter is 15 and she and her friends are great. I love having them at the house . They compete to see who can get the best grades in school , and raise money for ,and volunteer at the food bank.

What is wrong with this generation?

....... There's always the boys

It is nice to know there are some teens with goals and manners!

:cool:

agentcarver
    Well... Most of my "Children" are pretty good... Most of the time...

pillows and pies
    Actually, high school students tend to be fairly well-behaved. By eleventh and twelfth grade, most of the biggest troublemakers have, unfortunately, dropped out or been sent off to alternative school. Plus, their level of maturity is higher and more appearent. It's the middle school kids who are more aversive towards authority figures because they are just entering the identity formation stage. And they can be quite abusive to subs. Plus, alot of this falls on the teacher. I let my students know that if I got a bad report on them, they would have homework every night until the next time I was out (at which point they would have another chance to prove themselves). I never had a problem, and subs came to seek me out to tell me how well-behvaed my students were. Now, I occassioanlly sub middle school since I am in grad school, and I have had a horrible time with both the students and the administration in this new town! I harldy ever take a call anymore. I'm glad you enjoy subbing, cali, because adolescents need good role models in the classroom and someone who genuinely likes and respects them. Do you ever think about going into education?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast