+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High School Kids

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well, I'm probably not the best teen out there, since I'm pretty much the 'slick-talking, snarky' type, but to what Clipse was saying... even though sometimes kids rebel for absolutely no reason at all, despite their parents wishing the best, children with parents that care about them are really the ones who deserve the pat on the shoulder for what an amazing job they've done!

And yeah, it seems like the farther on the 'totem pole' you get, the cooler people there are. Makes me happy that, at my old school, I was about at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by boredouttamind
    And yeah, it seems like the farther on the 'totem pole' you get, the cooler people there are. Makes me happy that, at my old school, I was about at the bottom
    I personally don't find that to be true. People are just people, popular or not.

Yeah, but usually, the people who aren't as worried about looking 'popular' and doing what the 'popular' kids do act like who they really are, instead of a carbon copy of whoever's 'popular' at the time.

I notice that there are a few posts stating that the parents are responsible when a kid goes "bad". Well maybe in some cases but as a parent of a son who has done more wrong things than I would even like to admit to, I have to say that that isn't always the case. My husband and I have been married for 27 years, had a stable relationship, spent quality time with each other and the kids, a good clean home, always held down decent jobs, etc. Not perfect parents, but certainly not what you see on "Cops" or anything. We have 3 kids. Our two oldest were the best kids and teens you'd ever hope to have. Then came our youngest. He was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade. He is very smart, never had trouble academically but his behavior was another story. When he hit his teens it started getting worse and worse. We did everything we could think of, including calling the sherriff on him and having him arrested. He lied, stole, drank, smoked, used drugs... you name it. We had him sent to a boys ranch for a year when he was 16. It's hard as a parent to stand back and let your child pay for his mistakes, especially when paying means jail time. Well, to make a long story short, he's almost 20 now, just got his high school diploma (yeah he dropped out) and is now taking classes in carpentry at a trade school. He's doing really well, and I pray that he stays on the path that he's on now.

I'm sorry this turned out to be a longer post than I meant, but over the years we spent alot of time with counselors and some of them (not all) seemed to place the blame on my husband and me. I finally reached the point where I refuse to take the blame. I did the best job I knew how to do and I have to be satisfied with that. Ok... I think I'm done now.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Goodluck Lil Bit, I hope to never have to walk down that path. I hope things get better here on out. Stay positive and thumbs up to you for being a great parent.

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    Goodluck Lil Bit, I hope to never have to walk down that path. I hope things get better here on out. Stay positive and thumbs up to you for being a great parent.
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm really not fishing for compliments or sympathy. I have a great life and 3 wonderful kids. I don't make excuses for Adam and the things that he's done. I love him more than anything and I'm proud that he's my son. And I think things are getting better. He's starting to realize that everything we did wasn't done to him but for him.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    I notice that there are a few posts stating that the parents are responsible when a kid goes "bad". Well maybe in some cases but as a parent of a son who has done more wrong things than I would even like to admit to, I have to say that that isn't always the case. My husband and I have been married for 27 years, had a stable relationship, spent quality time with each other and the kids, a good clean home, always held down decent jobs, etc. Not perfect parents, but certainly not what you see on "Cops" or anything. We have 3 kids. Our two oldest were the best kids and teens you'd ever hope to have. Then came our youngest. He was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade. He is very smart, never had trouble academically but his behavior was another story. When he hit his teens it started getting worse and worse. We did everything we could think of, including calling the sherriff on him and having him arrested. He lied, stole, drank, smoked, used drugs... you name it. We had him sent to a boys ranch for a year when he was 16. It's hard as a parent to stand back and let your child pay for his mistakes, especially when paying means jail time. Well, to make a long story short, he's almost 20 now, just got his high school diploma (yeah he dropped out) and is now taking classes in carpentry at a trade school. He's doing really well, and I pray that he stays on the path that he's on now.

I'm sorry this turned out to be a longer post than I meant, but over the years we spent alot of time with counselors and some of them (not all) seemed to place the blame on my husband and me. I finally reached the point where I refuse to take the blame. I did the best job I knew how to do and I have to be satisfied with that. Ok... I think I'm done now.
    You sound like a great parent, Lil' Bit. I don't think that perfect parents will always create ideal children, since, after all, we do have a mind of our own, but good parents always help. That said, you sound like a parent that has done everything to help their son.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123